DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A First Time Reader's Impression of The Wheel of Time

I'm back!  Fully recovered!  

Currently at 9% of The Dragon Reborn

In which Perrin gets a visitor in the woods.

Min gets a vision of an impending death

Rand has a fit and rattles a mountain

Perrin dreams a dream

Instead of the terrific trio, we are down to the dynamic duo of Perrin and Rand.  I heard through the grapevine that this novel, though features Rand as the title character, doesn't have him as the main pov character which is going to be interesting to see how Rand is seen through other character's eyes and that Matt has a POV chapters too may warm him up to me.  

Poor Rand.  I don't know whether its stress or is the madness finally getting to him?  I'm hoping he doesn't loose what he leaned in The Great Hunt of how to be a leader.  

Props to RJ for continuing the gag of Perrin and Rand thinking the other is better with girls three books on.

And another thing I noticed and maybe I'm wrong, but the person Perrin speaks to in the dream before Lanfear shows up (and I believe it was Lanfear he met) is Ba'alzamon because he acted as if his middle hurt, where Rand stabbed him.  The Great Hunt he is recovering from a serious burn injury where he got fried and now he's recovering from a stab wound.  I'm kinda hoping that this is going to be continuing gag of whenever he confronts Rand and is defeated, he suffers from the resulting wound in the next book.  

Lots to comment on, but I won't in regards to spoilers. As others have said, there isn't as much Rand POV in this book. When I first read this book I didn't like the switch, but in re-reads I've enjoyed it much more. The is one of the best Moiriane books if you are a fan of her. She does some cool stuff. You also get your first real look at Mat here and he really comes into his own as a character. He has some of the most fun inner dialogue in the series.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

only a few chapters are told from rand's point of view,in my opinion,it was a mistake,

out of the first six books,the dragon reborn is my least favorite.

While I know your commitment to Rand (and L.), I think this decision was excellent. The others had to get their own chapters. A little more delay could have been fatal to the series. They get some room to breathe, and Rand, despite being MIA, is always in the centre of the talkings/happenings.

When I first read this book I didn't like the switch, but in re-reads I've enjoyed it much more.

Totally agree.

I felt that the first 7 books were awesome. Don't know why some people don't care for the 7th. 

Oh don't get me wrong, I liked aCoS, it was a good book.

It simply suffers from following, imo, the 3 very best in the whole series. It was also the first book that we had to wait a little longer for.

1. book 4: 386000 words book 5: 346000 words, book 6: 395000 words, book 7: 288000. The change is significant.

2. after such a huge climax, the disappointment is understandable.

Mat's

chapters are "terrible" (I mean they are pretty slow, nothing ever happens - there are problems with others too), and the reader gets the feeling of the 'the series is slowly falling apart'. 

I felt that the first 7 books were awesome. Don't know why some people don't care for the 7th. 

Oh don't get me wrong, I liked aCoS, it was a good book.

It simply suffers from following, imo, the 3 very best in the whole series. It was also the first book that we had to wait a little longer for.

1. book 4: 386000 words book 5: 346000 words, book 6: 395000 words, book 7: 288000. The change is significant.

2. after such a huge climax, the disappointment is understandable.

Mat's

chapters are "terrible" (I mean they are pretty slow, nothing ever happens - there are problems with others too), and the reader gets the feeling of the 'the series is slowly falling apart'. 

The only book in the entire series I did not like was The Crossroads of Twilight. Although, I do agree with many in suggesting that books 3 through 6 are among the very best 4 of the entire WoT series.

I'm not a mod or anything, but let's not get this thread off topic. Particularly talking about books the OP hasn't read yet. No need to color her opinion before she's read the first sentence.

@szilard,

i'll be the first to admit that rand is my favorite character and i greatly admire him,

but you are missing my point,the dragon reborn consists  of 56 chapters,50 chapters

out of 56 are dedicated to egwene,perrin and mat's point of view(91 percent),robert

jordan could have given those three enough center stage and room to breathe in

(let's say) 40 chapters and dedicate 10 chapters to rand's point of view,there's a big

difference(for me at least) between seeing rand in action or hearing the same thing

second-hand,so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this subject.

thank you from the bottom of my heart for mentioning the amazing L.

TAI'SHAR.

thank you from the bottom of my heart for mentioning the amazing L.

:laugh: To quote Jules Renard: "I have a remarkable memory; I forget everything. It is wonderfully convenient. It is as though the world were constantly renewing itself for me." But I remember the important details, such as your preferences and interests, it comes very handy. :wink:

1. I get what you mean, I really do, but I think you forget that Rand's storyline is not infinite. RJ used every trick to avoid this very big problem, but as the readers' reaction demonstrate very well, they want direct POVs. So despite being the best novel in the series (in literary sense), TDR is not a popular book.

2. from another way of looking at it: RJ could have written more about Rand, but he's already dominating the series, so more of his presence would be the end for the others.

Edited by szilard

/I hate retyping my posts/

I'm not a mod or anything, but let's not get this thread off topic. Particularly talking about books the OP hasn't read yet. No need to color her opinion before she's read the first sentence.

Maybe she wants to be spoiled? After all this site is dedicated to WoT and even a very quick glance at the forum before registration could spoil many things. Maybe she wants to know that series is worth her time (and money), or not; who knows, perhaps she will write this after the third book (or before): "I gave up on this series, sorry", or she will continue the reading based on our opinion.

As the saying goes ("Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."), so her perception about the books is her own understanding, and I don't think that we can influence her at all (max. in a very small dose.)

Having said that, you are right.

I do run the risk of spoilers whenever I visit this site to post or ready replies.  And I understand that these books have been out for a while and lot of readers have read them as they were released.  Which is part of the reason I was interested in reading the books as they were all released and the series is complete.  And it is possible that later on I may give up on the series and say I'm out, which I really hope doesn't happen as I feel invested in this series.

Everyone has an opinion that can be changed or stay the same based on other's opinions, that's how a conversation exchange works.  

I know I have asked for no spoilers before and I mean no plot specific details.  You are free to discuss everything I have already read and I don't mind anyone tell me about their favorite books and why they like this.  Just no plot details.  And so far, people have been careful about that and I understand that sometimes details can slip because someone is just so familiar with the material that the characters feel like old friends or family.  

Anyway, hugs all around.  I'm still reading and just gotten behind a little.   

/I hate retyping my posts/

Maybe she wants to be spoiled? After all this site is dedicated to WoT and even a very quick glance at the forum before registration could spoil many things. Maybe she wants to know that series is worth her time (and money), or not; who knows, perhaps she will write this after the third book (or before): "I gave up on this series, sorry", or she will continue the reading based on our opinion.

As the saying goes ("Always remember that you are absolutely unique. Just like everyone else."), so her perception about the books is her own understanding, and I don't think that we can influence her at all (max. in a very small dose.)

Having said that, you are right.

I was starting to get fired up, and then I read the last line. You make good points and as you mentioned just reading some of the thread topics here can give quite a lot away. When I first read the series I started in 1994 and several books were already out. I looked at the sites that the fans had already started making. I got, and wanted some peeks into what was coming without the major plot details. A lot of what Aragem says in her reply:

I do run the risk of spoilers whenever I visit this site to post or ready replies.  And I understand that these books have been out for a while and lot of readers have read them as they were released.  Which is part of the reason I was interested in reading the books as they were all released and the series is complete.  And it is possible that later on I may give up on the series and say I'm out, which I really hope doesn't happen as I feel invested in this series.

Everyone has an opinion that can be changed or stay the same based on other's opinions, that's how a conversation exchange works.  

I know I have asked for no spoilers before and I mean no plot specific details.  You are free to discuss everything I have already read and I don't mind anyone tell me about their favorite books and why they like this.  Just no plot details.  And so far, people have been careful about that and I understand that sometimes details can slip because someone is just so familiar with the material that the characters feel like old friends or family.  

Anyway, hugs all around.  I'm still reading and just gotten behind a little.   

Aragem, as always looking forward to your next update. As a longtime reader these types of threads allows us to relive the series in a different way since we get to share your experience of discovering and wondering again. In many ways it reminds me of when I would take my wife out on our early dates to some of my favorite places that she had never scene before and got to enjoy some of that fresh first experience again because they were new to her (I really wish I could get her into Wheel of Time, but she doesn't enjoy reading novels at all).

At any rate, keep on reading and posting.

Currently at 12% of The Dragon Reborn.  

In which . . . 

Perrin summons a wolf army and kicks ass,

Short post this time, but worth it.  Perrin's wolf army saves the day and brings up questions of whether Perrin denial of his wolfbrother hood is causing more harm to others than it is helping him.  

I agree whole heartedly that if he had opened his mind and heart to the wolves, they could have hours, if not days warning of the Trolloc attack.  Rand could have brought up the warning, but his lack of control over Saidin prevented him from recognizing the signals for what it was.  Perrin's wolves would have been able to communicate exactly what was heading their way and give them plenty of warning for anything that drew near.  

It's a extremely useful resource that Perrin is not utilizing because he's afraid of not being human.  I just want to say is get over yourself.  You are trying to stop the end of the world.  And the odds are stacked against you.  You need to use every advantage you have to help you and your group out.  It wasn't fate that got Leya killed, it was you Perrin for not stepping up.

from going through the scene, it seems to me that Perrin did not summon the wolves at that time.  but he will in later books.

Leya; it seems to me that there was not much Perrin (or anyone) could have done.  and it seems to me that Perrin did try to step up but was too late.

Still at 12% of The Dragon Reborn.  

In which. . .

Rand did a runner.

Moraine lists off prophecies Rand has to complete as the Dragon Reborn along with destroying 7 horcruxes, taking the One Ring to Mordor, and taking back the Seven Kingdoms, oh and he has to do the whole Davahkiin deal too.  

Min makes a confession to Perrin about her feels about Rand and that he is a bonehead.

Looks like the party is splitting up and going on another journey after Rand.  Looking forward to Min going back to Tar Valon and being in the same room as Egwene again after what happened when we last saw them together.  Also, curious to see how Egwene has changed from her ordeal as Leashed One.  And Nynaeve for that matter.  

Perrin is right to be concern about Masema (did I spell that right?)  There's devotion and then there's being a zealot.

next time we see Egwene and Nynaeve I think is several chapters from where you are at.

Min's next on-screen appearance is in next book.

next time Min & Egwene are together I think is in the last book; though only for short periods of time.

Masema is spelled right.

next time we see Egwene and Nynaeve I think is several chapters from where you are at.

Min's next on-screen appearance is in next book.

next time Min & Egwene are together I think is in the last book; though only for short periods of time.

Masema is spelled right.

That information is little too plot specific.  I know you're not telling me what happens in the books, but telling me events or when people show up is giving away too much information.  

I hope you continue. I rarely make a presence these days on the book pages, since I know so much, but I have greatly enjoyed your accounts of reading it. Almost like reading it for myself the first time, though we must be dissimilar. I hope, continue!

(I've had a decade or more on this, the last thing anyone wants is a know-it-all coming to say what's what. It's a treasure people newer to the series are talking about it.)

Edited by Graendals favourite

Hi, Welcome to community  i do not come here very often now a day but DM has a special place in the heart o us old fans. I d sincerely hoe that this series gives you as much pleasure, happiness and memories that I still treasure. By the way I am rereading the series and am currently on the Shadow Rising or tSR. Stay happy and blessed.

Sorry, it's been a while.  I've been busy with work and family.  

Currently at 17% of The Dragon Reborn

In which Perrin faces his worst fear and lets it answer the Call of the Wild.

Finished the scene where Perrin meets another Wolf Brother who gave in to his basic nature.  It was literally, Perrin coming face to face with what he feared most in the form of poor Noam.  It makes me wonder if Noam had fought his nature or gave into it too willingly was what made him animal like.  Could Perrin be looking into his own future that is inevitable or could be his own making?  

Still, it was good of Perrin to let Noam run free again.