DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A First Time Reader's Impression of The Wheel of Time

Regarding the women in this series there really isn't anything that comes right out and says it so there isn't a whole lot of spoilers. My take on it is that RJ basically wrote the men and women equally in that they both have places of power both in the culture and politically. Sure, all of the Aes Sedai are women now and that they are very powerful politically. However,  you'll see that through the rest of the world that they are pretty equally balanced in that most of the countries in the series there are strong men and women.

On the smaller scale, this is often sometimes used to humorous effects... for example the Two Rivers Council and their Womens Circle. They are both pretty equal and both think they are superior to the other.

As for Mat, keep an open mind. He comes into his own in the next book and I think you'll start to enjoy him more.

I was thinking that it was being done on an unconscious level.  That perhaps the Wheel had spun it so women had more power in order to prevent a male dominate society that would favor men being able to channel, in a way to prevent another Breaking.  But then, there is a lot of phobia and taboo about men channeling that it could have taken care of itself.  

I know I've been giving Mat a hard time in my musings.  He was an annoying git from in Eye of the World.  So far RJ had been more focus on Perrin and Rand than he has with Mat though I'm certain Mat's time to shine is coming and I may change my mind about him.  I just hope that he grows up soon.  

A question.  When is it a good time to read the prequel book?  A New Spring?  I think I recall it was good to read after book 3, but I could be wrong. 

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

no.don't read it after book 3,read it after book 7,the original version(shorter) of a new spring

was published after book 8(the path of daggers),but in my opinion,read it after a crown of 

swords,in 2002 the eye of the world was re-released with an additional prologue called ravens

try to find and read it.

the paperback release of New Spring (novel) was in 2004; which was between Crossroads of Twilight (2003) and Knife of Dreams (2005).  those are books 10 & 11 respectively.

my first time through the prequel was at the start of my second time through the series.

no.don't read it after book 3,read it after book 7,the original version(shorter) of a new spring

was published after book 8(the path of daggers),but in my opinion,read it after a crown of 

swords,in 2002 the eye of the world was re-released with an additional prologue called ravens

try to find and read it.

Okay, so after Book 7, I'll read A New Spring.  Thanks.  I had thought about reading a New Spring first when I was looking into reading The Wheel of Time, but I thought better of it.  Because prequels can carry clues and hints for events that happen in the series.  

I didn't like Mat at first either, but as the story went on I found myself liking him more and more. He eventually became my favorite character! Until the last two books I noticed a change in his character that I just chalk up as writing differences between Jordan and Sanderson. I also disliked Nynaeve at the start but again as the story goes on you come to see that she is one of the few characters who truly and honestly just wants the best for Rand.

I didn't like Mat at first either, but as the story went on I found myself liking him more and more. He eventually became my favorite character! Until the last two books I noticed a change in his character that I just chalk up as writing differences between Jordan and Sanderson. I also disliked Nynaeve at the start but again as the story goes on you come to see that she is one of the few characters who truly and honestly just wants the best for Rand.

She's one of those people who is gruff because they care too much.

First, let me say that I love reading threads like this. I've read, re-read, and listened to the audio books for this series several times.

I love seeing how people interpret things and like to compare that to my own first impressions to my impressions now. One thing I will share is that as I've gotten older, my appreciations for different characters change even in their early book arcs. For instance, when I first started reading I was 15 (1995) and I couldn't stand Nyneave and felt very similar to you. Now when I read her she seems much more reasonable (usually) despite her temper. I found her Arc through the series to be one of the most interesting.

Keep posting impressions and thoughts. 

+1

Sorry, I've been busy with Jury Duty and work.  But I'm back on track.

Current at 80% of The Great Hunt

In which we learn Rand sees events of possible futures and all of them are bad (no surprise).

We get a four month time jump due to Rand not knowing how to channel properly.

Nynaeve, Elayne, Egwene, and Min get to have girl talk, but get interrupted by the Red Ajah Bitch of the White Tower.

The girls go on a trip to help the guys.

Wow, I loved Rand's visions and I am SO curious about what visions the others had.  To see what would have happened if Moiraine and Lan never made it to Eomond's Field, if Rand had married Egwene, or Left Eomond's field.  One thing I noticed that in each scenario, there was always warring between the continent and the Seanchan invaders until something comes from the Blight to attack all of them.  Likely the Dark One taking over the world and what would happen if it was ignored.

Though, we lost FOUR MONTHS.  I sorta figured there would be time skips here and there, but to loose four months so suddenly, however, I admire how well it was done.  And it made sense that the stones run on their own time than the real world.  And I liked how the girls got us caught up to speed on what has been going on since then.

It seems the Seanchan are making themselves well known as they continue their push.  I wonder if Fain is still on the continent (I think I'll call it Randland from now on since the community calls it so).  And the King of Caherin is dead.  Hmmm, Thom Merrilin must have been busy.  Wink wink.

I don't trust Liandrin.  There's something going on with her and she greets them by herself!?  Wouldn't the other Ajah be investigating this matter too?  The words Black Ajah keep coming up and keep being dismissed as not being true.  One thing I learned in reading and watching sci-fi or fantasy stories is this.  If its something that keeps being deemed as untrue or false, then chances are, it's likely real.  

the 4 month portal stone trip; the books do not explicitly tell the visions of the others, but we get hints of one other character's towards the end of the book.

Liandrin; several things are revealed about her in about several chapters from where you are at.  and more in upcoming books.

Fain's next on-screen appearance I think is within several chapters; but I do not quite remember.

you are not wrong about Black Ajah; their first on-screen appearance I think was in Great Hunt's Prologue.

edit::  the identities of some of that chapter's characters and the identities of various Black Ajah characters are revealed throughout the series.

Edited by mb

the 4 month portal stone trip; the books do not explicitly tell the visions of the others, but we get hints of one other character's towards the end of the book.

Liandrin; several things are revealed about her in about several chapters from where you are at.  and more in upcoming books.

Fain's next on-screen appearance I think is within several chapters; but I do not quite remember.

you are not wrong about Black Ajah; their first on-screen appearance I think was in Great Hunt's Prologue.

edit::  the identities of some of that chapter's characters and the identities of various Black Ajah characters are revealed throughout the series.

Thanks, but no spoilers please.  

Currently at 83% of The Great Hunt

In which I learn . . .

Liandrin is a bitch.

Egwene gets schooled on being a damane.

Nynaeve schools Seanchan for making her mad.

I didn't trust Liandrin, but damn!  I had no idea that she was betraying them to Seanchan.  Also, I had no idea the Darkone's influence stretched so far.  This is wild!  

Poor Egwene, getting leashed and treated like that be Renna.  I took satisfaction in Nynaeve showing her stuff against the Seanchan who chased her.  

Usually I wait until I read more, but these scenes blew my mind and I had to share.  

I didn't trust Liandrin, but damn!  I had no idea that she was betraying them to Seanchan.  Also, I had no idea the Darkone's influence stretched so far.  This is wild!  

Poor Egwene, getting leashed and treated like that be Renna.  I took satisfaction in Nynaeve showing her stuff against the Seanchan who chased her.  

Usually I wait until I read more, but these scenes blew my mind and I had to share.  

You ain't seen nothing yet ;)

I loved reading this thread.

I myself am new to the series (currently reading The Shadow Rising). Just finished The Dragon Reborn last week.

You reflected most of my thoughts that I had had regarding the characters when I was reading the Great Hunt and The Eye of the World.

I didn't like book 1 much, tbh. It was only on book two when I fell in the love with the series. I re-read TEotW again after The Great Hunt to get a better grasp at the story.

Safe to say, I'm hooked and it promises to be an amazing journey. Will be following this discussion!

I myself am new to the series (currently reading The Shadow Rising). Just finished The Dragon Reborn last week.

You reflected most of my thoughts that I had had regarding the characters when I was reading the Great Hunt and The Eye of the World.

I didn't like book 1 much, tbh. It was only on book two when I fell in the love with the series. I re-read TEotW again after The Great Hunt to get a better grasp at the story.

Safe to say, I'm hooked and it promises to be an amazing journey. Will be following this discussion!

Go ahead and post your thoughts on what I have read thus far.  Please, be mindful of spoilers as I haven't gotten as far as you yet.

Edited by Aragem

Currently at 88% of The Great Hunt

In which I learn . . .

Sul-dun are bitches (Renna especially).

The Seanchan are so vile they treat Aes Sedai little better than animals and made Min wear a dress.

Meetings and plans are made between the girls and Domon.

The Children of the Light rear their ugly heads. 

Verin Sedai says five is enough to take on the Seanchan, Fain, and dodge the Children of Light.

Egwene isn't my favorite character.  I don't dislike her by any means, but she hasn't really done anything to make her stand out for me.  However, I was utterly furious of her treatment from Renna.  I felt bad for Min who was so close, but could do nothing to help.  The a'dam is a really intricate piece of equipment.  It not only makes the Damane sick if they should use the Power without their holder's permission, but knows when it's been moved by the damane herself.  Along with inflicting punishing pain and so on.  Damn, it could be the a'dam has some power of its own?

If Nynaeve saw what was being done to Egwene, she would have brought that whole town down with the Power.  It was smart of MIn not to tell her what was going on.  And I have to say that Nynaeve is growing on me.  For so long, she's been someone who has been the source of complaint and unnecessary conflict that it's nice to see her taking control and coming into her own.  I liked her scene with Domon where she convinced him to sail them out of Falme.

And it seems the boys aren't too far behind.  Maybe the rescue will become a joint one?

I get the feeling from the way Verin insisted that only five ride forth, that something major is going to happen in Falme.  Maybe Mat will get his dagger, and Ingar can get his horn, and Rand can get outta dodge from the Aes Sedai.   

I felt similar to you regarding the Eye of the World at first. Now having completely finished the series, I am extremely impressed by both the book and RJ as an author (and now count it as one of my favorites in the series). The amount of extremely subtle forshadowing is amazing. The detail at which he built the world and the rules of the various rules for the one power, shadar logoth, dreams, ways, etc...  for it to be as consistent as it is and not just an iterative process that grows as the series went on just blows my mind. He had to have planned things out really far in advance.

Edited by dexterryu

The Great Hunt is Complete.  100%

In which I learn . . .

Nynaeve is not to be trifled with.

The revenge upon Sul'dan is sweet.

Five ride forth, break and enter, steal the goods, kick ass, one turns out a traitor, and Mat blows . . . a horn.

Rand fights a boss battle by himself and then makes a decision.  

Wow, where to start?

Nynaeve has impressed me in this book.  She had some character development which I will get into later in my character breakdown.  But wow, did she ever impress me.  Cracking open the a'dam the way she did with the power had me cheering.  I bet that's something many women who could channel have tried to do.  I basically loved all the scenes of Egwene's rescue, though my favorite is Egwene taking revenge on Renna.  I only wished we had more of that.

Wow, Rand, Perrin, Mat, Hurin, and Ingtar made quick a team.  Breaking and entering into a Seanchan's home and finally reclaiming the Horn and Dagger.  Then they get confronted by High Lord Turak and then things get wild.

A number of things in this one scene.

High Lord Turak really took me by surprise.  Whenever he came up, I kept seeing him in my head as appearing my Varys from Game of Thrones.  A tall, bald, heavy weighted man with a soft, smooth voice, until his robe was removed and he took out his heron marked sword!  He reminded me of Bumi from the Avatar: The Last Airbender.  A small, frail old man until he takes off the robes and reveals himself to be a powerfully built man with muscles and a powerful Earth Bender.  And a Heron Marked sword at that!  I really want to know the history of the Heron mark swordsmen because they keep coming up and we have FINALLY met an actually master swordsman with such a sword.

And then we come to The Dagger's new ability.  Did it always have that power or is it because Mat is holding it.  And it was nasty.  The Seanchan, so used to watching Damane tear people apart with the Power were taken aback at seeing someone rot from the inside out.  Just love that moment of silent pause and then Ingtar takes in stride.

Okay, this may sound strange, but I find it kinda comical.  I know it didn't pan out this way, but I just see it in my head.  Ingtar is like, "CHARGE!"  and he, Perrin, Mat, and Hurin leap forward and run down the hall with Seanchan after them, though none of them want to get too close to Mat's dagger and Rand is by himself to face an Heron Swordsmaster by himself, like an MMO, your party takes off and you are facing the dungeon boss by yourself!  

(I don't know why, but I see them running down the halls like in that scene from A Christmas Story where the main protagonist and his friends are running away from the bullies in fast motion).

Ingtar:  Scatter!

All, but Rand takes off and Rand faces off with Turak.

Rand:  Um, guys!  Guys!  Don't leave me!  I've only been sword practicing for a few months!  And four of those I missed out on!  Hey!  Hey!  Dammit. . .

Rand fights Turak and wins and just as soon as he won the duel, the others come back.

Rand:  Oh, hai, guys.  Wow, wasn't quite a fight.  We duel and fought, and he got some stabs and I got some stabs . . .oh, wait, you don't know because YOU WEREN'T HERE!!!!  Thanks a lot for ditching me, you louts!  Gimme that horn, Mat!  If anyone deserves to blow it, its me!

And then we come to the revelation of Ingtar himself.  Wow.  Just wow.  He was a freakin' Darkfiend the whole time . . . it was like . . .watching Santa kicking puppies.  I mean, he held so much respect for Rand and came to be a friend and he had been the one to let the would be assassin into the castle.  Was he the Shienaran at the Darkfriend party in the prologue?

Then we come to the Horn being blown and wow.  So many things happened.  The Seanchan and White Cloaks are both defeated and Rand is confirmed as the Dragon Reborn by the very heroes of their legends and by Arthur Hawkwing himself.  And Rand's role as the Dragon Reborn is made public and he has a host of Shienaran's and Perrin and Loial willing to ride under his banner.  

The decision Rand makes, it's not revealed in the book, but I believe that he has decided to embrace his role as the Dragon Reborn.  I mean, if the heroes of legend come back from the dead and say you are the Dragon Reborn, then that pretty seals the deal.

I'll have my character breakdown up sometime tomorrow.