DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wheel of Time Will Be Adapted as a TV Series

szilard

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it could be great. If you're strongly opposed to it, you might choose not to watch. If you feel you must watch anyway, and you've watched 1-5 episodes of the first season and it's not to your liking, then no harm done, right?

Look, I like the first 2-3 books of GOT. I really do. My reaction to the first episode: this looks bad, this looks very bad. Pause. I hate the first minutes. What should I do? *shrug* fast-forward to the end. This is not my series. Bye!

On topic:

1. "major studio" - it worries me. They tend to make 20+ episodes per season so ... Maybe, maybe, Netflix will give 120-140 million dollar to the first season of WOT, who knows?

2. They have to cut. A lot. (Will they cram the TEOTW and TGH into one season? Not to mention later books.)

3. The ageing cast.

4. CGI (landscape, cities, armies, TOP! etc.)

the good side: dragounmount will flourish again, increasing book sales

I think it could be great. If you're strongly opposed to it, you might choose not to watch. If you feel you must watch anyway, and you've watched 1-5 episodes of the first season and it's not to your liking, then no harm done, right?

Look, I like the first 2-3 books of GOT. I really do. My reaction to the first episode: this looks bad, this looks very bad. Pause. I hate the first minutes. What should I do? *shrug* fast-forward to the end. This is not my series. Bye!

On topic:

1. "major studio" - it worries me. They tend to make 20+ episodes per season so ... Maybe, maybe, Netflix will give 120-140 million dollar to the first season of WOT, who knows?

2. They have to cut. A lot. (Will they cram the TEOTW and TGH into one season? Not to mention later books.)

3. The ageing cast.

4. CGI (landscape, cities, armies, TOP! etc.)

the good side: dragounmount will flourish again, increasing book sales

To #2 & 3, I think a lot can be cut without losing much. A lot of the world building can be done with the camera and good acting. Also if you take out a lot of the side character PoV's that didn't amount to much in the end you also trim quite a bit. That also means you might be able to shorten the series by several seasons potentially.

Personally, I'm hoping the network that picks it up is AMC. I really like what they do and like how they do the two 8-Episode "seasons" with Walking Dead. I think that would fit really well with Wheel of Time, especially the first 3 books.

I'm not familiar with AMC, could you give me a little "tour"? How big is their budget? (I heard that WD is a very simplistic show.)

Oh, "Darabont accomplished this with a $3.4 million budget per episode over six episodes. The second season budget? $2.7 million per episode over 13 episodes." *shuddering*

Edited by szilard

I'm not familiar with AMC, could you give me a little "tour"? How big is their budget? (I heard that WD is a very simplistic show.)

Oh, "Darabont accomplished this with a $3.4 million budget per episode over six episodes. The second season budget? $2.7 million per episode over 13 episodes." *shuddering*

AMC has a number of really good shows. Walking Dead being the big one. I wouldn't call it simplistic and it has a lot of effects. Other good shows are Turn (american revolution story about Washington's spies), Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and The Killing.

Hopefully Harriet and team Jordan will be on script check, signing off on them like Martin does with the GoT scripts. Basically final input on scripts.

I'm excited and hopefully we'll get a nice group of new/returning nembers to the site fron the news and when the show is actually released.

Totally on board with this. Harriet will not let this go the way of Red Eagle. I have confidence in her.

Red Eagle: she was there (with RJ) - "Manetheran (owned by Red Eagle) acquired the film and TV rights to The Wheel of Time in 2004 from James Rigney himself, and paid more than $600,000 to keep the rights through this past Wednesday, February 11, 2015"

Sanderson's books: she was there too

So ...

AMC has a number of really good shows. Walking Dead being the big one. I wouldn't call it simplistic and it has a lot of effects. Other good shows are Turn (american revolution story about Washington's spies), Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul, and The Killing.

Thanks.

(On "it has a lot of effects": many friends of mine refers GOT as the "talking heads" show)

It really depends on which studio and production company is going to do it, and how much meddling RE does. 

Exactly.

it's a muddled mess that can't keep viewership up, and gets canceled.

Oh, this will be WOT in the name only: no secondary characters (it is possible that they will sacrifice even Nyn or Perrin), no secondary plotlines.

Broad strokes. Very broad strokes.

Sony are the most likely candidates: they were in deep discussions with Red Eagle and with Harriet just before the whole legal battle thing blew up. Hollywood being Hollywood, they probably just said "Go sort this out, call us when you've done a deal and we'll move on from there." If it isn't Sony, then someone like Amazon or Netflix may have gotten involved.

Sony don't air shows themselves, so would have to work with a production partner and AMC is the likeliest candidate based on their previous relationships. However, AMC have a reputation for being quite frugal which WoT definitely will not need.

There is zero chance it's HBO. HBO only do one show in one genre at a time and WoT does not have the adult content they prefer, at least in the quantities they want.

As long as Red Eagle are not involved it is good news, the people at REE should be hung from their toes and beaten for their last monstrosity Winter Dragon...

It's likely that Red Eagle will have a production credit. They tried to sue Harriet for "defamation" and then withdrew that suit a few months later. That's a very traditional, tactical move in Hollywood: you don't have a leg to stand on so you either force the other side into expensive litigation taking years to sort out, even knowing that you'll lose, or you can say "Let's make a deal now and get on with things." With Red Eagle's option expired and their attempt to retain the rights by making a paid-for infomercial not likely to fly, that's the only option that they had left. Based on the rapidity with which things have happened (it may be 14 months, but that's really fast compared to how quickly Hollywood lawyers normally move), I suspect that they made a deal where Red Eagle still gets a slice of the pie, but (hopefully) no control.

There is also the fact that, if this is the Sony deal Red Eagle were pursuing in 2014, they did set up the deal in the first place so actually some form of credit would be appropriate even if they are no longer directly involved.

(On "it has a lot of effects": many friends of mine refers GOT as the "talking heads" show)

That was a fair assessment in Season 1 or maybe as late as early Season 2. For the last couple of seasons? Nope, they've thrown masses of huge battles, elaborate CG establishing shots and other elements that are extremely expensive. That's not just GoT, a whole bunch of shows have massively upped their CG and effects content recently, and done as good a job as any Hollywood movie. It actually makes WoT fairly credible as a TV project, whilst even 5-6 years it might have been more dubious.

• Community Administrator

There is zero chance it's HBO. HBO only do one show in one genre at a time and WoT does not have the adult content they prefer, at least in the quantities they want.

GoT has... 2? Seasons left.

It might take 5 years for this to come out.

If they go the AMC route I'm not worried at all. They've shown they know how to make good TV. I can't think of one of their shows that hasn't done well. The other thing I can say is that despite their budget's they have good effects... The walkers in Walking dead are believable and the costume design and affects on Turn are excellent for a period piece.

Best of all, you'd never see them put something out like Legend of the Seeker.

Exciting news. I give this maybe a 50/50 chance of being made, and maybe another 1/3 chance of any production being good. But no harm in trying. Even if the production is terrible, we'll always have the books to enjoy (the first 6, at least).

I realize I'm not preaching to a very receptive audience, this being a fan site for a series that's long concluded, but WOT is going to need to be carved with a machete, not a scalpel, to fit this thing into a TV show. And that might actually be a good thing, because a lot of WOT, especially after the first 6 books, was pretty terrible.

Seanchan and Tuon, gone. Shaido after Dumai Wells, gone. Seafolk, gone. Bowl of Winds, gone. Luc/Slayer, massive cut. Salidar, massive cut. Perrin/Neo, massive cut.

They're also going to need to go darker. The Forsaken and darkfriends actually need to be scary and kill some main characters.

In my opinion, these are all areas where the books went wrong, so I welcome a TV show as an opportunity to correct them.

i personally don't really care for television programmes especially fantasy/sci-fi ones - today they often resort to CGI if there is magic or shots of non-existent scenery involved and because its telly and not a full-blown cinematic film, the effects are and often look cheap. I am not sure how they are going to do channeling and shadowspawn without it looking really bad besides like others are mentioning, they will have to cut a lot to make it a viable script. 

I think it would work better as a video game - they often have the production value of smaller films today and you can fit a lot more content that the audience can actually interact with without it looking tacky/cheap as it would with actors. It is also a way to get younger people interested in the books - for example, quite a lot of people had not heard of the Witcher book series until the first video game adaptation was made, and the praise the game received seems to be what prompted making an English translation for the series to reach the broadened audience which might not have otherwise happened. 

Edited by WildTaltos

W, I agree with almost everything, except:

Nope, they've thrown masses of huge battles

Those 'battles' are hilarious.

By the way, Sony has AXN.

I realize I'm not preaching to a very receptive audience, this being a fan site for a series that's long concluded, but WOT is going to need to be carved with a machete, not a scalpel, to fit this thing into a TV show. And that might actually be a good thing

Seanchan and Tuon, gone. Shaido after Dumai Wells, gone. Seafolk, gone. Bowl of Winds, gone. Luc/Slayer, massive cut. Salidar, massive cut. Perrin/Neo, massive cut.

I think, you are (totally) wrong. About the machete: maybe they will start with TGH?

They're also going to need to go darker.

Why? The books are pretty dark.

I welcome a TV show as an opportunity to correct them.

TV shows are just shallow entertainment. (Mostly.)

This is an attempt to sum up the suggestions/desires of the fans (10+ msgboards, forums):

no book after LOC
no Perrin
no Faile
no Aviendha
no Min
no Wondergirls
no Asmo
no Siuan
no battles
no Fain
no Gawyn
no TAR
no BA
no SF
no WC
no Seanchan
no Ogiers
number of AS is limited to <10
number of Fs is limited to <3
number of WOs is limited to <3

This will be so much fun! :sad:

Edited by szilard

Those 'battles' are hilarious.

Hardhome and the Battle of the Wall were hilarious?

The Blackwater was a bit disappointing (apart from the wildfire ship blowing up) and the stuff in Season 1 was awful, but since then they've done exceptionally well for a TV series. I've certainly seen big-budget movies that had worse battle sequences than those two.

This is an attempt to sum up the suggestions/desires of the fans (10+ msgboards, forums):

no book after LOC

no Perrin

no Faile

no Aviendha

no Min

no Wondergirls

no Asmo

no Siuan

no battles

no Fain

no Gawyn

no TAR

no BA

no SF

no WC

no Seanchan

no Ogiers

number of AS is limited to <10

number of Fs is limited to <3

number of WOs is limited to <3

This will be so much fun! :sad:

I could get behind most of those suggestions! Some I would cut completely - others I would cut way back. The only one I disagree with are the battles. I see major improvements here!

Re "dark" - not really. Not one. single. significant. character is killed until the end of the final book. The forsaken are generally worthless and ineffective. Results in a lack of suspense.

I don't think you can cut out Aviendha or Elayne. They're pretty important. Maybe they could cut out parts of the story where they occur, or possibly change them, but not cut them out completely. Out of Rand's women, only one I think they can cut out is Min. she is not a channeler, and maybe not so important a warrior or player otherwise that it would be exceedingly difficult to make do without her. 

Siuan is the amyrlin, and there needs to be one of those. Maybe they could make do without her love interests, though. 

I believe seanchan is probably important, and the relationship Mat/Tuon could make some comic relief. Some things could probably be cut, though.

Ogiers are probably not absolutely essential in a TV series. The seanchan type weird animals would probably be great on screen if they can make proper special efffects for them. Would be exotic and all that. Creates an extra sense of threat, and enables the seanchan to launch their attacks.

I think they should keep the black ajah.

Egwene may not be absolutely necessary, if they must cut characters. Someone must be amyrlin in any case.

Fain, battles, ta'veren are probably pretty essential for the story. Mat is needed, Perrin slightly less so. I guess it depends on how many actors they can involve in the production.

I'd guess adjusting the story is more difficult the more characters they cut out.

Edited by Nightstrike

• Community Administrator

Min. she is not a channeler, and maybe not so important a warrior or player otherwise that it would be exceedingly difficult to make do without her.

People love prophecy and she is the perfect character (not just long-lost-scroll) for foretelling the future.

I don't take that list he made of what will be cut with any grains of sand. (Mentions various message boards, and there suggestions... offers no evidence as to this data collection.. it's tongue in cheek at worst)