DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wheel of Time Will Be Adapted as a TV Series

szilard

I've always been an optimist, but I've got the feeling that if Harriet is involved then this is going to be good. My concern at this point is everyone deciding parts are good for TV/Screen, what parts are not, and whether or not all of us fans like the results.

I'm much less concerned about set & special effects. Those have come far enough the the point where even the low budget Scifi shows aren't bad for the type of magic that the One Power is.

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I doubt HBO.  But there are other pay-networks that might want into the Fantasy genre.  Starz, Showtime, etc...  Its not all HBO.

But, then AMC does a pretty good job with its shows, too.  Just no major networks, please.

Werthead, they could do Trollocs with practical effects, rather than CGI.  That would cut the budget considerably.

It will not be HBO. HBO are not interested in competing with themselves and they are lining up a GoT spinoff show to replace GoT once it is done.

I agree on the prosthetics approach. It would be simpler and look better. The Draghkar and Darkhounds will need to be CGI already, making the Trollocs non-CGI will make life easier for everyone. Plus the prosthetic orcs in the LotR trilogy are far superior to the CG orcs in The Hobbit movies.

ANyhoo, same deal, take a niche kinda book series, glam it up for tv and hope it draws new fans.

Outlander was big, but not "the biggest-selling series in its genre for 50 years" big, which is what WoT is.

They can't even get the title of the first book right. So I'm not holding my breath on the rest of it. And no, I don't excuse such a 'typo'.

That was Variety who made that mistake, not the original press release from Sony. Variety are a trade website, they're not involved in making the show.

That is great. But LOTR is in print only because of the films. There was nothing in the 90's, and what was available was expensive. At least where I lived. 

LotR has been in continuous print since 1954. It would easily still be in print without the films. In the 1990s there was even a big boom in sales of LotR, driven by the explosion in popularity of the rest of the genre, before the movies came out. LotR has sold over 400 million copies and about 50-60 million of that came after the films.

REE are absolutely 100% involved in the Creative production of the show

This is a pretty illogical statement. Red Eagle were a rights-handling firm set up to buy the rights from RJ and sell them on for a credit and a profit to recoup their initial investment. If everything had gone according to plan and there'd never been any acrimony with Team Jordan or the fanbase, Red Eagle would still not be expected to have any creative input on a TV show or movie. That's not how rights-handling companies operate and it's certainly not how movie or TV studios work. They will put their own team in charge, unless maybe the rights-handling company had lots of TV creatives with experience in the industry already (which REE don't).

There seems to be a tug of war over the narrative here which is a bit pointless. Red Eagle have done what they set out to do, retain a stake in the project and its success to their benefit. However, it sounds bad after thirteen years of them saying they'd be involved in making the show that they won't have much to do with it (even though they never were going to have much to do with it) so they're trying to say they will have creative input (which arguably they will: they'll probably have the showrunner's email address and can pipe in some ideas every now and then). However, they won't be making decisions and they won't be approving anything, and they will have zero creative control over the process.

It's silly because, actually, everyone has come out of this with something they wanted: REE get a credit and some money (and, lest we forget, they set up the original meeting with Sony back in 2014 which probably led to this deal), fans get the knowledge that REE won't be intimately involved in the project and the TV show gets made and everyone can move on.

Have to say I am pretty ambivalent about a WoT TV adaptation. Being one of my favourite book series, I'm interested in seeing it turned into different formats, though episodic TV shows aren't really my thing. The last one I watched on a semi regular basis must have been ST:TNG, over 20 years ago ;-). I'll definitely will try to catch the first episode when it airs, but I don't have high hopes that it'll keep me hooked. Certainly didn't happen with GoT. But I like WoT better, so who knows ...

In any event, if this turns out good enough for others, I'll be happy that it spreads awareness and recognition of the books, and should it end in disaster, well, I can always reread and enjoy the books, no harm done.

Well, it looks that Sony has Justified ("it is probably worth $35 million to $45 million") and Outlander ($64 million) as their most expensive shows. Am I right?

Radar was founded in 1982 through its origin at Interscope Communications. Radar is headed by Ted Field, a proven and respected icon in the entertainment industry with a 30 year plus career as a creative and business executive in movies, music, television and digital media. Radar and its management team have produced over 60 feature films that have generated over $7 Billion in revenue, and is considered one of the industry’s top Producers. For updates on our current release slate please refer to www.imdb.com

http://www.radarpictures.com/#

Ted field and radar pictures are known, recidivist, convicted frauds. Ted had lost suits over his Ponzi schemes on projects like

Jumanji and is in litigation over others as we speak.

his wiki page was suddenly updated to make it seem as if he was legit several days ago when the latest announcement on the tv series was released.

he is respected by no one. the best that can be hoped for is that the damage he does is kept in check.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

• 2 weeks later...

The Games do, not so much the books. The majority of people(outside of Eastern Europe) who know of the series probably know it from the games not the books. 

The Games do, not so much the books. The majority of people(outside of Eastern Europe) who know of the series probably know it from the games not the books. 

The games do, and the books have picked up a lot of steam in the states due to the games. I've read them and they are excellent.

Ted field and radar pictures are known, recidivist, convicted frauds. Ted had lost suits over his Ponzi schemes on projects like

his wiki page was suddenly updated to make it seem as if he was legit several days ago when the latest announcement on the tv series was released.

he is respected by no one. the best that can be hoped for is that the damage he does is kept in check.

Wouldn't have thought it mattered if he was a good boy scout and can perform the requisite Hail Mary's. 

What should matter here is having deep pockets which, as he's still strongly affiliated to Sony, he seems to have. 

Wouldn't have thought it mattered if he was a good boy scout and can perform the requisite Hail Mary's. 

What should matter here is having deep pockets which, as he's still strongly affiliated to Sony, he seems to have.

He only has what he steals. He blew through the money he inherited and moved on to theft and fraud,

It's not like he's changed his ways. He's in ongoing litigations for the same things.

He was a poor choice, as bad as red eagle, and it makes me really wonder what kind of legal advice the estate gets.

Not sure how being affiliated with Sony means anything, or he the supposed depth of his pockets changes the fact that he's a con man but whatever.

He only has what he steals. He blew through the money he inherited and moved on to theft and fraud,

It's not like he's changed his ways. He's in ongoing litigations for the same things.

He was a poor choice, as bad as red eagle, and it makes me really wonder what kind of legal advice the estate gets.

Not sure how being affiliated with Sony means anything, or he the supposed depth of his pockets changes the fact that he's a con man but whatever.

As mentioned already, he can provide the financial backing for the project to succeed and even get off the ground. 

you're the only person whose mentioned it afaik and I don't see any objective evidence to support that. if they're looking to this guy for a bankroll we're never seeing this show.

none of us need convincing of how wonderful anyone involved in this project might be. it's irrelevant.

this is the fan base, this audience is already in the bag. anything that gets produce will get watched by the people here. it's the rest of the world that will need impressing. and that won't happen until there's actually a product so..,

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

you're the only person whose mentioned it afaik and I don't see any objective evidence to support that. if they're looking to this guy for a bankroll we're never seeing this show.

none of us need convincing of how wonderful anyone involved in this project might be. it's irrelevant.

this is the fan base, this audience is already in the bag. anything that gets produce will get watched by the people here. it's the rest of the world that will need impressing. and that won't happen until there's actually a product so..,

I mentioned it after seeing it in articles, posts, news alerts and main page headlines on this site. Saying I'm the only one who mentioned it is incorrect. Sony would not have publisiced them acting as producier if they were not signed up as producers. That does not guarantee the show will get made; it merely indicates there are producers attached to it. I'd have thought this was self evident yet here I am pointing it out to you. 

The 'evidence' you seek is in the news posts described above, where it mentioned by name those who would be producing this show.

I made no attempt to portray anyone as wonderful; that was your own interpretation. I think most people will be content to trust in the outcome and see what transpires during the show's production and I do count myself among those (for future reference). 

Edited by MichaelOfTheWhite

Flow my tears, fall from your springs,

exil'd for ever: let me mourn

Where night's black bird her sad infamy sins,

There let me live forlorn.

Down, vain lights, shine you no more.

No nights are dark enough for those

That in despair their last fortunes deplore,

Light doth but shame disclose.

Never may my woes be relieved,

Since pity is fled.

And tears, and sighs, and groans my weary days