DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wheel of Time Will Be Adapted as a TV Series

szilard

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope AMC gets to do it. Theyre known for making great shows even with some low budgets.

@ Sony- Im willing to play Lan or Mat for real real cheap!!!!!

lololololololol

you're valan Luca ldo

fml.....

lolololololololol

Oddly enough I think the story would be better told by someone who isn't a fan :unsure:

The story as is, is too long to tell unabridged, and I would guess it would be easier for a none fan to make the needed cuts without bias towards favourite characters/sub-plots. I can see a fan trying to tell the whole story, and I'd rather get the full story from some characters/sub-plots and drop some all together then lose a little from everything. And although I have my favourite and least favourite subplots I won't mind which are cut so long as the ones left are told well

Things I'm wary of,

characters in general and Mat in particular losing their/his subtlety (thing various portrayals of Mrs Bennett or Mr Collins from pride and prejudice, or pippin in lotr)

Looking cheap or cartoony (id rather ignore the Aes sedai ageless look and just give a general gravitas type thing for those characters then have something look badly done)

Trying to tell the story word for word

I wouldn't worry too much about that. Almost every fan has several sections (and many of them the same sections: Books 8 & 10) that they would either take out, gloss over, or streamline.

What it really comes down to is whether or not the content is both entertaining and necessary to the plot. At any rate in the 18ish pages of this thread a lot of that has been discussed to death already so I won't say anything more on it.

Out lander: never seen an epi at all. How does it look?

It's OK.  My wife is really into it.  I'm not.  It is a period piece romance novel on TV.  WW2 nurse accidentally goes back in time to pre-UK Scotland, has to figure out a way to survive, falls in love.  Lots of sex occurs.  

The casting is pretty good, and the guy that played Dwalin in the Hobbit movies has a main role (Graham McTavish).  Other than that, though, its not a whole lot to be recommended for my entertainment value.  Production seems pretty good, sets and location and costuming are well done.  The story is historical-ish, which is kinda cool, and there are some decent characters, but the whole thing is pretty much ridiculous.

In some ways it's a lot like wot would be.

The outlander books have a rabid, loyal fan base. My mom and my sister have been nuts with these things since forever. I can't even... This show plays to that, and sexes it up some to bring in people who don't know the books. Tho... these are really popular historical fantasy romance novels, and I think the audience was bigger to start.

ANyhoo, same deal, take a niche kinda book series, glam it up for tv and hope it draws new fans.

Most people will find it ridiculous but maybe enough will get into it to keep it going.

This is a disaster waiting to happen. Period.

They can't even get the title of the first book right. So I'm not holding my breath on the rest of it. And no, I don't excuse such a 'typo'.

That's like talking about Lord of the Round Finger Things.

The thing is, good or bad, this may be the novels ONLY chance at getting itself known by an audience outside the readership. Otherwise we may be looking at 30 years plus before it will be looked at again. That was how long it took the LOTR to be the massive hit it was. Between the animated movie in the 70s and the movies we all know and mostly love.

Otherwise it will end up another Star Trek or forgotten completely.

Edited by wotfan4472

Lotr hasn't been out of print since it was first published. Not sure where you get that from... you don't have libraries or Amazon? I've bought and rebought lotr and the hobbit every few years since I first read it in grade school and that was.... significantly earlier than the movies. Never cost more than $10 for a paperback and usually much less.

Anyhoo, hope you get what you want out of whatever they do with other media if they do it. Just saying whatever they do can't ruin the books for me, or for anyone. Cause they're done, and anyome can just read them when They want to and ignore a tv show they don't like, if that's what happens.

They'll keep printing the books whatever happens. They resell those to me a lot because the binding is not good and it splits after a couple rereads. And there are libraries and kindle etc etc. so no worries.

Dragonmount had the following to say on twitter: 

Spoke to some ppl about the WoT TV deal. Red Eagle is not creativity involved in the show. They retain electronic game rights though. Our understanding is Red Eagle will be listed as Executive Producers on the TV show but not be otherwise involved in that production.

Edited by Narg_The_Trolloc

In addition to the above: Narg has been told Ted Fields Team(Radar) are the ones in charge. Rafe Judkins is the creative mind and as previously mentioned was hand picked by Harriet and that they have been talking already. The thing that Narg takes away from this as the most positive sign was that Radar listened to Harriet when she requested Rafe.

Edited by Narg_The_Trolloc

In addition to the above: Narg has been told Ted Fields Team(Radar) are the ones in charge. Rafe Judkins is the creative mind and as previously mentioned was hand picked by Harriet and that they have been talking already. The thing that Narg takes away from this as the most positive sign was that Radar listened to Harriet when she requested Rafe.

Narg makes Elgee happy.

even if it's total crap I CAN"T WAIT!!!!! I just want to "see" the books happening and be able to share it as a show with friends and family that won't take the time or don't have the time to read a 14 book series.  It's a lot easier to get people into a show than get them to read, I find.

Wow, I'm gone a week and come back to find I missed the Big Announcement by four days!  This is great!  Whether you are for the tv series or against it, remember that it will expose new people to this wonderful series who will become avid fans and readers like us.  I had to check the date just to make sure that it wasn't a sick April Fool's joke.  I am so excited!

REE or their fanboys respond:

"I agree with a few statements above. Terez and anyone from Dragonmount would not be considered reliable sources. Harriet has not released any official statement, and "hearsay" that was spoken at JordanCon is simply just personal opinion, not confirmed factual information. Reality check -- REE are absolutely 100% involved in the Creative production of the show, along with Radar undet the Sony umbrella. Furthermore, Dragonmount needs to step back and stop acting as an official spokesperson for Harriet and/or anyone involved the show. If she wants to confirm information, let her do it. For now, it's all speculation on her half and everyone else posting false facts"

Meh.

"I agree with a few statements above. Terez and anyone from Dragonmount would not be considered reliable sources. Harriet has not released any official statement, and "hearsay" that was spoken at JordanCon is simply just personal opinion, not confirmed factual information. Reality check -- REE are absolutely 100% involved in the Creative production of the show, along with Radar undet the Sony umbrella. Furthermore, Dragonmount needs to step back and stop acting as an official spokesperson for Harriet and/or anyone involved the show. If she wants to confirm information, let her do it. For now, it's all speculation on her half and everyone else posting false facts"

Meh.

RJ hated REE and I'm sure Harriet does too, and with good reason. That's some real low road they're taking.

Fwiw I don't think anyone who's done ten seconds research on them would trust them with any aspect of something that could make serious money. Sony isn't stupid. And REE isn't smart.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

Meh.

Probably just a fanboy blowing off steam. I can't imagine Sony letting them be anywhere near the production with their track record, usually not even authors themselves are allowed into the creative process, let alone Random Rights Holders With Terrible History And Hated By The Fan Base. However, if they are, the project is dead before it's even begun. They have held the rights for over 10 years and haven't managed to do anything with it except insulting the author's work and his widow, and we fans have long memory....

Edited by Rednalloc