DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Marvel Universe - need some help here

Niniel

I have never been interested in super heroes. I watched Batman as a kid (the tv series) and read The Phantom for a year or two. When I got older I felt forced to watched some films like Batman and Spider Man but it wasn´t my thing. Then I watched Avengers and it was okay. I liked Iron Man and the Hulk. So I watched all the Iron Man films and even though I didn´t love them I really enjoy watching Robert Downey Jr. (who doesn´t!). Yesterday I watched Avengers: Age of Ultron and I realise that even though I still don´t love super hero films I don´t like not knowing what is happening. I watched a review on YouTube and I definitely didn´t understand a thing. So can you please help me out here?

I read this Beginners Guide to the Marvel Universe. It was easy to read. What more is it that I need to know?

I read somewhere else that different companies has claimed certain heroes in this universe and that means you will not see them together. (Like the Avengers and X-men.) Did I get that right?

Who are your favourite Marvel heroes/villains?

Which films do you recommend? 

I can´t see myself apprichiate a Disney version of Thor but maybe I´m wrong about that. 

What interesting female heroes are there?

Oh, forgot... Is there like one goal for all of the characters? (Except for trying to save the earth and human kind all the time.)

Edited by TinaHel

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You might like Guardians of the Galaxy. It's a good comedy adventure that doesn't require much understanding of the rest of the Marvel universe.

And you basically have the rights issues correct. Marvel sold off some of their rights before it was clear how big movies based on comics would become, and it wasn't till later that they decided to form a studio and adapt their own properties.

Groot is some kind of tree man?

Thanks, Basel. Who is your favorite?

I saw the Capten America Civil War trailer and it looks interesting.

Pretty much Groot is a sentient tree. All he ever says is I am Groot.

I don't really have a favorite. And I'm having trouble caring much about the Civil War movie. I'm not that enthusiastic about a movie based on good guys fighting each other. Good guys don't fight each other and IMO that should be a rule.

I have never been interested in super heroes. I watched Batman as a kid (the tv series) and read The Phantom for a year or two. When I got older I felt forced to watched some films like Batman and Spider Man but it wasn´t my thing. Then I watched Avengers and it was okay. I liked Iron Man and the Hulk. So I watched all the Iron Man films and even though I didn´t love them I really enjoy watching Robert Downey Jr. (who doesn´t!). Yesterday I watched Avengers: Age of Ultron and I realise that even though I still don´t love super hero films I don´t like not knowing what is happening. I watched a review on YouTube and I definitely didn´t understand a thing. So can you please help me out here?

I read this Beginners Guide to the Marvel Universe. It was easy to read. What more is it that I need to know?

I read somewhere else that different companies has claimed certain heroes in this universe and that means you will not see them together. (Like the Avengers and X-men.) Did I get that right?

Who are your favourite Marvel heroes/villains?

Which films do you recommend? 

I can´t see myself apprichiate a Disney version of Thor but maybe I´m wrong about that. 

What interesting female heroes are there?

Oh, forgot... Is there like one goal for all of the characters? (Except for trying to save the earth and human kind all the time.)

If you really want to learn superheroes, I strongly suggest just reading the wikipedia history of each character.  Start with one character, and kind of branch off from there.  If you're going specifically with Marvel, I would say the X-Men is probably about as good of a place to start as any, though maybe Spider-Man?  

If I recall correctly, one company owns the rights to the Spider Man franchise, which is why you would typically NOT see him in the Avengers (though I believe the company responsible for that series received permission to temporarily use Spider Man in The Civil War).  I haven't done much research into this though.

Deadpool.  Deadpool.  Might I recommend Deadpool?  On a site note, Deadpool.  Beyond that, I've always been a pretty big fan of the Silver Surfer.  Saying he's a hero isn't inherently accurate, but I'd say he's one of the "Good guys"; he's also perhaps the most overpowered hero in the universe (similar to how Superman is OP in DC land).  I'm not particularly sure why, but I've always preferred War Machine to Iron Man.  Its probably mostly the name, to be honest.  The Punisher is a really interesting concept for a character to me - just one really angry guy with a lot of training, and a lot of guns - but neither of the Punisher movies were particularly well done to me.  I believe Netflix is making a series though, so I might check that out (not in love with their Daredevil).  

Villains, I don't have a strong attachment to any.  A lot of the Marvel villains are kind of insane, as it comes to abilities/powers.  For example, Galactus can literally eat an entire planet.  Apocalypse is basically, "do what you want."  I think Spiderman has the most interesting villains, not because they're so great, but because they're reasonable matches for Spidey - and a lot of them have goals/motivations beyond just wanting to destroy the universe.

Black Widow is probably the most well known female hero, outside of Wonder Woman, thanks to the Avengers movies.  Jean Gray of the X-Men is one of the most powerful people in the universe after she becomes the Phoenix.  While Storm is probably the best known female X-men member, I think Rogue is perhaps the most interesting/best power...and at least in the movies, she exists beyond just fighting the enemy.  And while I don't know much about her, I probably have to give a mention to Captain Marvel :tongue:

this is probably the best order for watching the movies

https://www.quora.com/In-what-order-should-I-watch-the-Marvel-Cinematic-Universe

tho the Incredible Hulk should go in between Iron Man 1 and 2

You should watch all of them because they have after credit scenes that actually form part of the story linking from movie to movie

Guardians of the Galaxy stands alone cause its connected but isnt on Earth   watch it after the Avengers

So yeah u need to watch them in order to really get it

I read somewhere else that different companies has claimed certain heroes in this universe and that means you will not see them together. (Like the Avengers and X-men.) Did I get that right?  yep  basically if they are MUTANTS they belong to Fox. Xmen and any of their like     which im spewing about cause i want a marvel treatment for x force,  cable   and Generation X

Spiderman    and more importantly his villians belong to Sony  tho they had to make a deal with MARVEL studios cause of the trouble they are in. Thats why spidey will be in Civil War

Who are your favourite Marvel heroes/villains?  Im an X guy so my fav is probably Warpath    the REAL Warpath not that cruddy one they gave us in Days of Futures Past.

In the comics i wasnt a Captain America fan but the movies have made me one. I think he is the best done hero and his stories have been great. You MUST watch Winter Soldier    it is AWESOME!  (but in order!)

Which films do you recommend?  All   so you get the whole story.  the best for me are Captain America Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy and Avengers 1

I can´t see myself apprichiate a Disney version of Thor but maybe I´m wrong about that.   I like this Thor   theres some comicness to him that I think Hemsworth does well but im a HUGE thor mark and always have been

What interesting female heroes are there?  Black Widow is pretty awesome   and you see her change thru the films    Scarlet Witch has me interested.  in the Comic Rankings shes like the 2nd most powerful mutant that exists   she can actually change REALITY.  They killed Jeans character in that abysmal Xmen 3    cries  

Did you wanna get into the difference between Marvel and DC?

Thanks, Clove. It seems like I need to watch Deadpool some time. :)

Thanks, Dice. I think I need to do one thing at a time, so I´ll keep to Marvel for now. :)

Groot is some kind of tree man?

Thanks, Basel. Who is your favorite?

I saw the Capten America Civil War trailer and it looks interesting.

Pretty much Groot is a sentient tree. All he ever says is I am Groot.

I don't really have a favorite. And I'm having trouble caring much about the Civil War movie. I'm not that enthusiastic about a movie based on good guys fighting each other. Good guys don't fight each other and IMO that should be a rule.

That´s what I find interesting. lol 

I watched Guardians of the Galaxy yesterday. Not the best I have seen but it was a cute film. Laughed a lot. Love the hamster.  :tongue:

Watched Captain America - First avanger and Captain America - Winter Soldier today. I´m on holiday, I can do whatever I want! :D

I look forward to see Winter Soldier in Civil War. I like the heroes but I think I need to find some info on them. There is a lot that I have no clue about. 

• 2 weeks later...

So I looked up Nick Fury but I was too tired to read it all. He was also in the WWII? How did he survive? His powers is to heal quickly? What side is he on?

The movie version of Nick Fury was never in WWII. So far as I know, he has no powers at all and he is on the side of the good guys.

On a side note, some of the more knowledgeable people on DM on the subject of comics and their adaptations aren't BT members. Or at least not currently active ones. So the people that I can think of being the best able to explain this stuff are least likely to see this thread.

On a side note, some of the more knowledgeable people on DM on the subject of comics and their adaptations aren't BT members. Or at least not currently active ones. So the people that I can think of being the best able to explain this stuff are least likely to see this thread.

Noone check New Content? But I´m totally satisfied with talking to all of my BT friends about it. :)

*hugs everyone*

*then goes to kill someone*

I watched X-men yesterday. It was too many main characters (I think each one got too little time) but I get that it´s based on a comic and that people wants everyone there. I didn´t feel like I got to know much about Storm, Jean Grey or Cyclops. Maybe that will change in the next movie. I plan to see it sometime this week.

Since I saw First Class before this I´m a bit sad to see Mystique. I want her to be on the good side. She is a good villain though. Toad and Sabertooth wasn´t. I don´t like silly villains and I felt that at least Toad was silly. 

I like to see the school and I hope to see some more actions from the kids later. I liked Rough and Wolverine. 

I saw X2 yesterday and The last stand today. There are definitely good things in those movies but I think they loose some by having too many characters. For example, I wish we had learned more about Phoenix and what Xavier had done to her. 

The last stand ended a bit sad. Xavier dead, Jean dead, Cyclops dead and both Magneto and Mystique had lost their powers. (And Rouge but she choose that herself.) I don´t like that. From what I understand there is another movie where they go back in time. I guess I need to watch that one too. :D