DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Hey! New to the forums

Archaic

Hey everyone! I thought I should start off here and make an introduction topic. I first heard and learned about the Wheel of Time series back in 2011 from my brother, who had just finished The Gathering Storm. He recommended the series to me and then gave me that book. Not too long after that he gave me Towers of Midnight as well. I didn't have the first books in the series at the time and I was preoccupied with a multitude of other things, so I brushed them off to the side for a while. Eventually I was really bored one day with nothing new to read, and fully aware that it was a later book in the series, I picked up The Gathering Storm and began to read. I became fascinated with the world, the setting, characters, and just the general idea of the whole thing. Before I knew it I was done with The Gathering Storm and reading through Towers of Midnight. I remember reading through the glossaries as well, trying to piece together what everything meant.

After that, I was determined to go back to the beginning of the series and read all the books. I got Eye of the World, read about half way through, and then I moved. Circumstances led me to live with some people who were pretty terrible. They were mean, rude, obnoxious, and loud. I found it impossible to read at the place I was living at. It seemed like every time I opened up a book somebody would try talking to me or bothering me. It was pretty annoying! Not only that, but I was working constantly. I basically had to put reading on the back burner. To make a long story short, I don't live with people like that anymore and I picked the series back up again about a month ago. I finished Eye of the World and then moved onto The Great Hunt. I just finished that one a day ago and now I'm going to start reading The Dragon Reborn tonight. I'm loving this series the more I read it.

So, I'm relatively new to the WoT series, but at the same time I'm not. I knew about this website and figured it was about time I joined and started participating in the forums. It's nice to meet you all!

Hi Archaic. Welcome to DM.

My name is Cairos. It's a pleasure to meet you. There are tons of things to do here at DM. There are some sections you want to stay clear of because they have spoilers on the books. There are also two areas of DM that you can explore. There is the role playing side and the social group side. I'm mostly in the social group side. I'm the Captain General of the Cavalry in the Band of the Red Hand, the Black Tower, SG, and a Gray Brother/Sitter/Offical Chef in the White Tower. Come join any of these groups and you're allowed to join all of them if you want. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

Welcome!!!!  As Cairos pointed out, we have lots of things to do here but it is wise to avoid the discussion forum for now.  I'm Captain General of the Green Ajah in the White Tower and Warders.  I also belong to a few other groups.  Please be aware that you will not be able to see all of the boards in a social group until you choose to become a member..... so there is stuff going on behind the scenes.

My favorites are the first three books and then I read "New Spring."   If you need any help, please ask.

Hello and welcome to Dragonmount!

Even though you've read some of the later books, since you are only technically two to three books in from beginning the series, I would highly suggest you be careful around the threads on our Discussion Boards. That is where people can start and/or join in on discussions about the series and characters from it but for those who are still working on it the threads are also probably going to run into some spoilers.

You may know about the literary origins of some of our social groups from the books, they are a great place to meet a number of the members from our site members and get to know some of them. People may join as many groups as they'd like and each one has their own draw. All of the groups have some awesome members, some of whom you've met here in your welcome thread, and many of us are members of multiple groups, each with their own fun activities to participate in. If any of the groups appeal to you then feel free to apply to join them. If you have any questions about The Band of the Red Hand, home of music, travel, drinks & food, Cairos or I should be able to answer them (I'm the Band's Executive Officer and Cairos is the leader of our Cavalry division). If you have any questions about The Black Tower, home of Spam and Madness, I should also be able to answer those. Other than those two groups I can't really answer too many of your questions but if you post here or in their general board I'm sure one of their members will be more than happy to help answer your questions about their group. From my experiance, many of the groups seem to have a little bit of RP mixed in however do not mainly focus on it.  All of our social groups also have a lot going on behind the scenes so you can initially see one or two of their boards but, upon joining one, you'll soon gain access to their members only areas and activities.

If you are looking for some in depth RP the site also has some RP-Groups which, though I have little to no knowledge of, is something many find fun to participate in. If you plan on participating I believe they have a main board you can post any questions to if no one here is able answer them.

I hope you have a great time on the site and maybe, if we're lucky, we'll see you around the boards.

Thank you all for the welcome and the advice! Yeah, I figured it would be best to stay away from the main WoT discussion board until I was mostly through the series. That probably won't be too much longer with the way I have been reading. It really has been too long since I've read like this.

I'll definitely check out those social groups you all have mentioned. They sound quite interesting, especially if I am able to join multiple ones. I don't know if I would get back into role playing as I haven't done any RPing in YEARS. Then again, I haven't really posted in any forums in a long time either, so who knows.

I read a couple chapters into New Spring about a year ago because I saw it at the library, but since I wasn't really able to read all that much around that time, I never finished it. I do plan to go back to it though, once I finish most of the books.

It seemed like every time I opened up a book somebody would try talking to me or bothering me. It was pretty annoying! Not only that, but I was working constantly.

I have that same problem! If it keeps on like this, I'm going to have to stop reading at work :(

Aaanyhoo ... welcome to DM :)

Archived