DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Quick question about the Brandon Sanderson WOT books

Guest stillwood57

Guest stillwood57

Hello - Im a big fan of Brandon Sanderson. Im very interested in reading his WOT books, but I havent read all the WOT (Jordan) books. Ive only read the first 4. If I skip the others (to be honest Im not that interested in reading them) and go straight to the Sanderson books, will I be completely lost? I know all the main characters and major events in the first 4 books, but thats it. I know I should just read them all, but Im mainly interested in them because of Sanderson. Thanks.

Hello - Im a big fan of Brandon Sanderson. Im very interested in reading his WOT books, but I havent read all the WOT (Jordan) books. Ive only read the first 4. If I skip the others (to be honest Im not that interested in reading them) and go straight to the Sanderson books, will I be completely lost?

You gave your own answer.

I think most of the WoT-loving people were more then a little ... urm...'lost' in the last two books, so I guess that doesn't matter much. I'm guessing it will all make sense to you anyway.

I would STRONGLY recommend against skipping to the Sanderson books.

At minimum you absolutely have to read the next two books Fires of Heaven and Lord of Chaos. They are not only amongst the best, but most importantly they introduce a number of vital characters and concepts.

After that if you skip ahead to Knife of Dreams (the last RJ book) you should know enough that it will make sense and be reasonably enjoyable and you can then read the BS trilogy.

there have been similar threads in the past; those original posters asking whether to continue.  this thread seems to be the first to ask about skipping.

if you decide to skip, you can get chapter summaries at the encyclopaedia site; and I take Leigh Butler has done whole book summaries.

other options would be these::

-read the books

-skim the books

-read parts and skim other parts

-go through future parts then return

I agree, don't skip.  The characters really begin to grow on you.  The only skipping I would recommend are some of the chapters on the girls, they get tedious with the bath and dressing scenes.  You can always pick them up and have some small new material in a reread.  Another good suggestion is reading the summaries.  

Archived