DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Neverwinter Nights

Jason Denzel

• Administrator

So I got this cool new game called Neverwinter Nights. Have any of you heard of it?

Kidding.

But I really did JUST pick it up. Got the Platinum edition thingie. I realize I am 3-5 years late to the party, but it's all good. I am eager to try it out. This is also the first time I've come into heavy contact with D&D d20 rules. My teenager years were filled with the AD&D 2nd edition rules. The only d20 experience I have is with "Knights of the Old Republic".

Anyway, the question I have for anybody who knows d20 is this.... I am trying to figure out multi-classing. In AD&D 2nd edition rules (and in things like Baldur's Gate), once you changd classes you only advanced in your new one until you reached the original classes level. Then you progressed in both, but divided the XP up.

So how does it work in d20? Am I understanding it right where I can have two classes advance at the same time and get the same amount of XP for both classes? I'm confused

I must be getting old

J

I haven't played D20 for an age, but I think once you're a certain level, you can select a sub-class, and then you choose which class to level in, but your sub class has to remain below your main by a certain amount.

Probably wrong.

Oh, and I bought NWN some time ago (October last year, I think) and still haven't even gotten around to installing it. So don't feel bad about being late.

ok, out of the closet i come....

in d20, your xp determines your overall character level. you can pretty much pick whatever class you want whenever you gain a level. there are restrictions, but anyway....

say you're level 1 fighter. you gain your 1000xp and get to level 2. you can pick another fighter level, or another class, say, rogue. if you pick fighter again, you'll be fighter 2. pick rogue, and you're ftr 1/rog 1. you have the abilities of each class, level 1. every time you level, you pick a class that you're adding the level to. i have a guy who's fighter 12/ranger 3/rogue 3/barbarian 1.

the restriction comes in when you have a lot of different classes. you have to keep them close to the same level. within 1 of each other, or you incur a 20% xp penalty. my aforementioned guy has that problem because of the barbarian level.

it's like this: each race has a favored class. in that class, you don't have to balance the levels. you can be whatever level in that one, and if you multiclass only into one other class, you're ok. if it's not your favored class, then the 2 have to be within 1 level of each other.

it's when you have 3 classes or more that it gets stickier. take, say, an elf, who's favored class is wizard. his wizard levels are not considered when we're talking about wheter or not he gets the penalty. say he's wizard 7/fighter 2/rogue 3. he has to gain a level in fighter to bring it to 3 before advancing to rogue 4, or he'll get the penalty. he can freely advance in his wizard class, without penalty.

Elf:

wizard 5/cleric 2/bard 4 = penalty

wizard 1/ranger 5/fighter 5 = no penalty

a human's favored class is whatever class he has the most levels of. for the other races, it varies. what race and classes were you thinking about?

okay, i will stop talking now.

• Administrator

Dude, I officially give you the um....uh.... "Dragonmount Medal of Honor for Today Only" for that answer. Congratulations...I guess. It's such a, um...honor..

Thanks for the detailed reply. It makes sense now. I was thinking of doing a human mage / monk. Or maybe a mage / ranger. That's awesome that my favored class is the highest. So in other words, I can be a human 2-class person and never get the XP penalty, right?

J

*pins medal to collar. stabs self. staunches bloodflow*

hahaha, thanks.

yup, if you're a human, and have 2 classes, they can be any spread, with no penalty. if you pick up a 3rd, you'll have to keep the 2 lower within 1.

i'm not sure if this applies to NWN, but i'm pretty sure it must.

• Community Administrator

I don't know all the specifics about D20, but I do know NWN.

You don't need to be a specific lvl to multiclass.

IE, lvl 1, you are your base class, say warrior.

lvl 2, you can either continue lvling up as a warrior, or you can pick wizard.

You are overall lvl 2, but you are a lvl 1 wiz, lvl 1 war.

Then there are specialized subclasses..

Like, some classes like ranger, have a "special "updated version of them" Like rogue is to assassin. Or bard is to um.. blade dancer?

Those ones require you to reach a prerequisite lvl of skills, and sometimes a lvl to obtain them. Like the earliest you can get this "2nd class" is lvl 10 for the prerequisets.. Now you would be a lvl 10 rogue, lvl 1 assassin. When you lvl up again, you'll still be lvl 12, but a lvl 10 rogue, lvl 2 assassin. So in a way, you "continue to lvl up" in both, but its more like class 1 lvl + class 2 lvl + class 3 lvl. = total lvls.

Speaking of such, if you have the latest expansion, you can get Epic lvls. "Putting cap from 20 to 40."

Yea it does.. It depends on which expansion you have.. I think the base one didnt.. But the 2nd expansion, allowed em across the board.. and the 3rd or 4th expansion introduced epic classes... across the board..

But since he has platinum it shouldnt matter.

• Administrator

I played the game at lunch today. Made a human sorcerer. Will multi him into a monk when I get a chance. The "kits" sound awesome. I literally spent 40 minutes or more just trying to get the perfect character. There are SO MANY options! I love it. I wish I could be everything. hehe

The game engine is better than I expected. I thought it was "fake 3D" like Baldur's Gate. This is true 3D with full camera movement options. And it supports 5.1 surround sound. :-D

J

Guest Karana Majin

Be careful with monks and paladins... they don't multi-class well. If you take monk levels, then switch to another class, you can never take monk levels again. Paladins are the same... once you become something other than paladin, you can never advance that class again. The point is, for those two classes, which require DISCIPLINE, you can't be distracted by other pursuits.

So, with your sorceror monk, make sure you get ALL the levels of sorceror you want before switching over... because you won't be able to switch back and forth.

(At least that is how it is in ed. 3.0 D&D which I have been playing since the day it came out, and in ed. 3.5, which I have also been playing since the day it came out. Every saturday... rolling the dice...)

down with 3/5!!!

http://www.opengamingfoundation.org/srd/srdbasiccharacterclassesii.rtf

This is a complete copy of the explanation from the Player's Handbook about multiclassing. You have to scroll down past some stuff to get the multiclassing guidelines.

And before anyone thinks to ask, I am not illegally transmitting copyrighted material. Yes, it is copyrighted, but it's part of what they call Open Game Content, usable by anyone freely. So, no copyrights violated.

Actually...

IF you go Ranger, for say. 7 lvls, then 3 for Sorcerer.

You can become an Arcane Archer.. Theonly reason for that is, to become an arcane archer, you need to be able to use magic... and um, so far in ranger I've yet to see anything give me spells. :P

Rangers are kinda, so/so in that game.. Arcane Archer's, can be pretty sweet..

Don't do the dragon thing, they just sux.

Blademasters are pretty good though, theres another class, I can't think what it is, but it's pretty sweet.

I actually just picked up NWN myself. I found the "Diamond" Edition with SoU, HoU and a Premium Module called Kingmaker.

My first charater is a human Cleric 1/Fighter 2/Paladin 9+. I'm in the middle of Chapter 2 of the original campaign and having a blast with it. The one thing I miss from BG is the ability to have a full party rather than just one henchman. As it is now, I either have to walk very carfully around traps or hope they don't kill me immediately (my only availble Henchman is an Elven Cleric, not very good at disarming traps :))

I thought about it, but there's a level cap on the original NWN campaign and I had already used up one to get the extra Clerical domains (I took Sun and Knowledge to get the extra undead turning and identify for free). I did take Weapon Focus and I figured that the 2 extra Paladin levels would make up for anything I lost by not getting specialization.

To play NWN do you have to play online or can you just play solo like on a traditional game. When I was in high school I got addicted to MUDs and and would spends hours hour doing nothing but killing shop people. Looking back, it wasn't much fun.

Personally I think the third expansion was by far the best one. I'm waiting on NWN2 to come out.

I've played NWN to death, and it's boring playing the same quests over and over again.

And what's REALLY cool about NWN is the module builder it comes with. Make your own games, or download someone elses which is what King's maker is btw, you could have gotten that months before they sold it all in one package cause of their "premium modules" they started selling.

Mat

Oblivion, also has a simular thing. Module, is also "Mod" or "plugins" basically all along the same terms. The game Elderscrolls III: Morrowind (came before oblivion) to this day, has had More mods then Anygame out there, *Content wise, as in, not just a change here or there to the game, but actual content mods that change the entire game... Hell some moders have eveven completely revamped the graphics! *went from character graphics nearly = to nwn. to morrowind nearly = to oblivion =).

Anyways, If you have a crappy pc, rather outdated, buy Nwn.If you have a top of the line, amd 3ghz processer 1 gig ram and a gforce 6800+ I'd buy oblivion. =) *it's also psedua fps rpg*

Archived