DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Book challenges and reading advices

Niniel

Many tries some kind of book challenge each year. Some simply want to read a certain amount of books but others follow lists like this:

409659d720fac295278f956fd330eb9d.jpg

Have you done anything like this and if so, what kind of challenge was it? Me and my daughter are trying to put together one that we can both try on this year.

And...

I really need some good reading advices. What great books did you read last year? It can be fantasy or not. 

I usually do a number of books for a challenge. Since I joined DM I've been involved in the Brown Ajah Book Challenge (and actually running it the last three years). Starting last year, I also challenged myself on Goodreads to finish a certain number of books. For 2015, I set 15 books for my goal but never accounted for exceptionally long books. The Way of Kings took me four months. So this year, I refused to be deterred and chose 15 books again.

Right now I'm rereading The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. Dick, one of the more famous alternate history books ever written. I first read it in the '90s, and it's been sitting on my bookshelf untouched for fifteen or twenty years. Amazon has a streaming tv series based on this book now, and I figured it was an appropriate time to go through it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Alternate history? Is it good?

I decided to do a list with some of my students. We´ll see if any of the other kids or colleagues at my school will join us. Here is the list:

·         A book with more than 500 pages

·         A book that has been made into a movie

·         A book that is written by someone under 30 years old

·         A book that takes place in another country

·         A famous author´s first book

·         A book written by one of your favourite authors that you haven´t read yet

·         A book that has been recommended by a fried

·         A book that is based on a true story

·         A book that you can read in one day

·         A book that was written the same year you were born

·         A book from your childhood

·         A book that takes place in the future

·         A book written by an author that you haven´t read before

·         A book that you own but haven´t read before

·         A book that takes place during Christmas

·         A book that takes place a long time ago

·         A book that has a great cover

·         A book by an author that you haven´t liked earlier

·         A book that makes you laugh

·         The first book in a series

I would love to do something like this but feel like I would fall behind. I've got a huge to read list I'd like to get through.

The last thing I read was Heritage if Shannara, which I quite liked. I have the Sword of Shannara to read too.

I'm doing Hitchhiker's Guide right now.

I still haven't gotten to Words of Radiance, but I want to reread Way of Kings first. It's been a while and I read it in 3 days the first time through.

I didn´t like the Shannara books. Love the Hitchhiker´s Guide though. Especially the first three. Marwin is the best robot ever. 

I was lucky to get some book gift cards for my birthday. I have finally decided what to buy but then I decided to wait for the big book sale in February. Books that I plan to buy are rarely on sale but last year I got the paperback TGS for just 19 SEK. (2,2 USD). 

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while and I read it in 3 days the first time through.

The Way of Kings took me four months. That book chewed me up and spat me out. And you finished in 3 days?

I hate you.

It took me two months in college, but 3 days is really fast, the only way i could have gotten through that in three days is if i did not sleep and literally did nothing else but read.

Also Linesman is a very good sci-fi novel that might interest you. I will not spoil anything but, space !!!!

Edit: Going through the original list made me laugh because the one that says to read a book set in your home town, i would have to write it for that one to happen, my home town is so small.

lol Just do it!

I´ve read three books so far, all okay but non of them really good. I have started to read Dune but it´s kind of hard to get into it. Many here have recommended it so I thought I would give it a try.

I found Dune tremendously hard to get into the first time I read it and I gave up after ten pages. It took watching the movie for me to be able to follow the book.

lol Just do it!

I´ve read three books so far, all okay but non of them really good. I have started to read Dune but it´s kind of hard to get into it. Many here have recommended it so I thought I would give it a try.

I find the books from the father only, the original ones, to be better than when the son took over.

Archived