DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What do you Think?

SinisterDeath

To Merge or Not to Merge, That is the question!  

15 members have voted

1. 1. To Merge or Not to Merge, That is the question!

• Merge TV Shows & Sports with Movies & Games.
    • Merge TV shows & Sports with Movies & Games and add more entertainment choices.
    • Keep everything the same.
    • Keep the two forums but add more entertainment choices between them.

• Community Administrator

Every few years Staff looks at the general activity of these boards as a whole, and asks "Can we combine any of the dead forums?"

Since Entertainment board has been rather slow for the last couple of years we have the option of combining TV Shows & Sports Discussion, with Movies & Games Discussion.

I've created a poll in this topic and want to see what you, my fellow posters think.

Should we combine the two under one name "Entertainment", and have everything related to TV/Movies/Sports/Games under one heading, so we aren't isolating the two discussion groups?

Should we keep it the same and not change anything at all?

Should we add more forms of entertainment to the Entertainment Boards? (Board Games, Trading Card Games, LAARP, Tabletop RPGs, or any other such forms of entertainment?)

How narrow or broad should we define Entertainment to get it a little more lively here?

Merge everything. Add categories such as cosplay, comics, music, etc.

Funny, I always thought you'd be more pro-segregation.

:wub:

Funny. :P

Actually I tried to run a petition a few years ago to have a music category added when Entertainment got merged into the two sections we see now. It didn't catch on and none of the mods or admins I talked to (particularly Barm since iirc he was in charge of the decision ultimately) were into the idea so I eventually dropped it.

Is there a reason not to define it as broadly as possible?

I mean I dunno let's say someone wants to make a post about rock collecting.

Is there any reason why that's not really ok?

It seems to me that, as it is, the two Entertainment subforums move very slow.

That's only going to get worse as time goes on and Wheel of Time and Dragonmount become less relevant and less populated.

Are we worried about threads that are in a grey area overtaking what most think of as entertainment or...what?

That's how I see this anyway. You want the biggest catchall you can get to make the forum worth having because as it is right now it'll still be slow even with very broad rules I think.

• Community Administrator

That's only going to get worse as time goes on and Wheel of Time and Dragonmount become less relevant and less populated.

Are we worried about threads that are in a grey area overtaking what most think of as entertainment or...what?

That's how I see this anyway. You want the biggest catchall you can get to make the forum worth having because as it is right now it'll still be slow even with very broad rules I think.

Well rock collecting would fall under the broader domain of hobbies.. like bird watching. Which I wouldn't put under the broad definition of Entertainment.

I could see us broadening Entertainment to incorporate Music, but I don't know if any of the Orgs on DM already laid claim to Music or not. Don't want to be treading on any toes. :wink:

Well rock collecting would fall under the broader domain of hobbies.. like bird watching. Which I wouldn't put under the broad definition of Entertainment.

I could see us broadening Entertainment to incorporate Music, but I don't know if any of the Orgs on DM already laid claim to Music or not. Don't want to be treading on any toes. :wink:

Wouldn't you want it to be under the entertainment though, so that everybody has access to it?  You don't want to alienate the music lovers!

IIRC it was the Band of the Red Hand.

That was partially the problem I had before when trying to get Music added.

I don't understand why the social orgs get to supersede regular users claim to topics as broad as music but w/e.

My stance is make it as broad as you can.

I don't understand why the social orgs get to supersede regular users claim to topics as broad as music but w/e.

Because for many years, the social groups were where most of our regular visitors hung out. That still might be the case, I haven't looked at those numbers in awhile. 

Because for many years, the social groups were where most of our regular visitors hung out. That still might be the case, I haven't looked at those numbers in awhile. 

It could well be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

If that's true then fair enough I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd say merge them into one and make it a subforum of general.

Also Nolder - The entertainment boards used to be a social group but when the group eventually faded away it got converted to what it is now. Music didn't get included in the theme in part because the Band already had it.

I'd say merge them into one and make it a subforum of general.

Also Nolder - The entertainment boards used to be a social group but when the group eventually faded away it got converted to what it is now. Music didn't get included in the theme in part because the Band already had it.

^ this.

it was the Chan iirc

• 2 months later...

I like the idea of merging, but not at the expense of the SGs. For instance BotRH already serves as DMs music discussion group, to an extent, and if there's a separate music forum it might detract from the activity there/give new members less incentive to join.

Archived