DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

MTV's Shannara Chronicles

Selleck

Saw a trailer for this new series the other day.  Starting in January.  I heard it is following the Elfstones storyline. 

I'm pretty excited about the idea of another high fantasy tv series.  Wish it were WoT, but I understand that Shannara lends itself a little better to a season-series as the books stand alone, more or less.  Hopefully it does well and paves the way for something else...

• 4 weeks later...

Haven't finished watching the first episode yet but I have mixed feelings about this one.  Definitely get an MTV vibe with the "everyone is hot" casting and relationship crap. The world is too post apocalyptic but I can live with that.  The books mention some ruins here or there but they seem to be everywhere in the show along with random pieces of leftover scrap like an iron bath tub or a rusted jeep.  The special effects are ok, so far.  Will have to see if they can maintain that.  The storyline changes I understand but don't like.  They do need to make it for TV and so changes are necessary I guess.  Will finish watching today.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya, so, the show is pretty bad.  Dialogue is a step below juvenile.  I don't like the story changes at all.  Everyone looks like they just stepped out of a spa even after roughing it in the forest for a couple days and being attacked by a demon.  I'm so disappointed.

On the plus side, the visuals are pretty good... 

Ya, so, the show is pretty bad.  Dialogue is a step below juvenile.  I don't like the story changes at all.  Everyone looks like they just stepped out of a spa even after roughing it in the forest for a couple days and being attacked by a demon.  I'm so disappointed.

On the plus side, the visuals are pretty good... 

Pretty much this.

I'm not disappointed yet because the bad stuff is more or less what I'd expect from MTV so my expectations weren't that high.

I'm gonna wait it out and see how the story continues to develop.

• 3 weeks later...

As much as I would love to see a live action version of WOT the way they have treated Shannara terrifies me. This show is not representative of what those books are to me. They have twisted everything into some weird teen soap opera. My wife loves it but I am just more disgusted with each episode. I will finish out the season, my wife will want to watch anyway, but I think if it continues I will find something better to do with my time. If they, whoever eventually gets to do WOT, make it into this crap I think heads will roll.

Meh, I mean, add in young women pulling their own hair... the verbally abusing the main character and the Aes Sedai looking too good for what they are doing.... that pretty much IS the characterization for (more than) half of WoT already. I don't see much of a difference.

• 3 months later...

I meant to watch it but was a bit concerned. That isn't one of the Shannara series I've read yet (started way out of order) so I figured it might be okay. Sounds like the consensus is that all my negative assumptions are right though.

I was really excited about it at first, but then I actually started watching it and never got further than episode four. They had all these little glimpses of the Old World, which I thought was cool, but as everyone else has said, it's more of a teen drama masquerading as Shannara. :dry:

Archived