DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Everybody but Mat ?

grump

Yep' date=' Kobras right. Its how his Band gets around in the 11th book and starts slautering the Seanchan. I love it cause they think his band is a few hundred thousand when its a small group! But yes, matt does Travel.[/quote']

Actually, what kobra was (hopefully) talking about was when Rand dropped Mat and the Band off a few days out from Salidar. Mat hasn't been through a gateway since getting to Ebou Dar. The guerrila assault on the Seanchan was possible because the Band is that good (and because they've got machine gun arrow launchers). The whole point was to get the Seanchan blocking his path to go somewhere else. If Mat could travel at the time, it would have been beyond unnecessary.

reyler's right, Mat didn't use gateways when he was fighting the Seanchan, since no one with him can make one. The last time he went through a gateway was when Rand sent him to collect Elayne, and maybe Egwene and Nynaeve, at Salidar.

However, since that was well after he got his foxhead ter'angreal, it assures us that the ter'angreal in no way intereferes with either Travelling or Skimming (as Mat went to Caemlyn with Rand via that method while wearing the foxhead).

Yep' date=' Kobras right. Its how his Band gets around in the 11th book and starts slautering the Seanchan. I love it cause they think his band is a few hundred thousand when its a small group! But yes, matt does Travel.[/quote']

Actually, what kobra was (hopefully) talking about was when Rand dropped Mat and the Band off a few days out from Salidar. Mat hasn't been through a gateway since getting to Ebou Dar. The guerrila assault on the Seanchan was possible because the Band is that good (and because they've got machine gun arrow launchers). The whole point was to get the Seanchan blocking his path to go somewhere else. If Mat could travel at the time, it would have been beyond unnecessary.

yeah i was talking about when Rand sent Mat to collect the three mules. :P

The last time he went through a gateway was when Rand sent him to collect Elayne' date=' and maybe Egwene and Nynaeve, at Salidar. [/quote']

*nitpick* Actually, he went through Elayne's considerably smaller gateway when chaperoning her to Ebou Dar.

Anyway, the foxhead only prevents weaves from touching Mat. He can get mussed up by the results. This has been hashed out in arguments over Rahvin killing him with lightning, I believe.

ummm wait a sec. So the weaves can't touch mat when hes got the medallion. and in the other threads the view is that Rahvin's lightning was indirect thats why it killed mat. But so are you saying that if aes sedai and ashaman start throwing fireballs at mat, they won't touch him? Not even rand going psycho and throwing a massive balefire at him?

if thats the case, then doesn't the medallion make mat a gholam thingy?

I think the results on that would depend on whether the gateway is the weave, or just an effect of the weave. To compare, is the gateway like a flow of air picking something up, or is it like the lightning bolt, where its the result of a weave. For that matter, is balefire an emission from a weave or is it a weave throughout its body. I think the arrows of fire used by Rand are clearly emissions and might therefore be used against either Mat of the Gholam. Unfortunatly this is all conjecture.

The lightnings that Rahvin used to kill Mat are a result of the weave not the weave itself. Think of it like when Elayne or one of the other sisters would throw logs mud and anything else handy to torture (read: browbeat or nag) him into letting them study the medallion. Rahvin effectively threw a ton of electrons at Mat without actually touching him with a weave directly.

The Medalion- Prevents Mat from being touched by direct weaves.

Gholam- Similar, if not identical power to Mat's medallion.

Gateways- The actual space within the gateway is not a weave. It's empty space. The edges of the gateway, however, are weaves(the weave has to be somewhere, nothing else makes sense), so I think Mat(and Gholam) would be protected from the chopping aspect, if not the transportation itself.

Indirect Weaving- If the weave itself does not touch Mat, he's vulrenable. If someone summons a storm, and the resulting lighting hits Mat, he's vulrenable. If, however, someone tries to ensare him in Air, or burn him with direct Fire or something, he's safe.

Yo peeps. Lets clarify one point

someone said that Mat only asked to be free from "Aes Sedai" and so only female chanellers can't affect him.

But yo, Aes Sedai also include males. In the wider sense of the word, there were male and female AS in the age of legends and so its not only females. get it? So the medallion also protects mat from male chanelling. Rahvin's lightning was indirect.

Archived