DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Game of Thrones Season 6 (Spoilers)

Nolder

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sansa played it well; Jon didn't.  You don't tell Jon he's going to have reinforcements unless you're sure and there's no way Sansa could be sure.  Jon's battle plan was flimsy at the start and then he abandoned it for something even worse (there was no way Davos could hang Jon out to dry and expect to win).  While it's totally understandable that he would do what he did, it was still dumb and would have led to annihilation if not for the knights of the Vale.

You are facing an army with superior numbers, cavalry, arms, and discipline.  As Jon alluded to at the council, charging headlong into them is just asking to get enveloped and then encircled.  That being said, digging in and offering a pitched battle isn't such a hot move either imo.  You eliminate their cavalry's ability to outflank you, but now you have to go toe-to-toe with their infantry when you have less men and less steel.  Also, as Sansa pointed out, the Boltons don't have to fight you, so they can always choose not to offer battle if they see you entrenched.

The way I see it, the main advantage Jon's force had over Ramsay's was that the wildlings and the Night's Watch rangers combined are like a Westerosi special ops force.  Either a guerrilla campaign or a rescue attempt (a la Mance in the books) would have been smarter imo.  That being said, the arrival of the knights of the Vale to take the Boltons in the rear make this all moot speculation :P

I also really liked the way the battle scene was done.  It was realistic and terrifying to see Jon almost buried by corpses without room to fall, and the made the eucatastrophe of the cavalry arrival even more potent.  I love how GRRM and the showrunners take classic fantasy tropes and update them with realism and moral ambiguity.

I believe the intent of the episode was to show that Jon had the same honor-related hangups Robb and Ned did, which means to avoid getting killed needlessly over it ala his predecessor he needs to heed the counsel of more practical people (Sansa, Davos).

The battle scene itself was absolutely terrific. The whole sequence from Jon's POV up to the knights of the Vale arriving might have been the best ~12-15 minutes of the show so far period.

Also it gave us the well-needed splice of Jon Snow singlehandedly facing an entire cavalry coming at him with the "Leeroy Jenkins" soundbite

A show is not complete until you can splice in some World of Warcraft, lol.

cute stylistic parallel between the events of the red wedding (robb shot with crossbow, then stabbed fatally; cat throat slit) and the fates of the perpetrators (tywin killed via crossbow, roose stabbed fatally, walder's throat slit).

even cuter when you consider that the shock of it was that they violated "guest right" and all three were killed in their homes.

Love this episode! What a finale. Now it´s almost a year until next season. :(

King´s Landing: I haven´t cared much for the King´s Landing story but now I do. Poor Tommen. We all knew he was going to die but for a short moment I thought he would make it when he didn´t get to the Sept. I will miss Margaery. The others not so much. I was totally surprised that Cercei got crowned. The Mad Queen. That is excellent. Will Jaime have to kill her like he did with the Mad King? 

Oldtown: The look on Sam´s face when he saw all the books! Paradise. I´d love to be there with him. I got a thought. Do you think they will make Gilly into Sarella so that she can be there with Sam? Where else will she go? I don´t think Sam´s visit will be very long. He will be needed in the North with new knowledge and his sword.

The Twins: No, Jaime is not proud of being a Kingslayer. Brienne has changed him. Arya´s quick travel and the fact that she actually baked those pies was silly but I don´t care. Frey pies and Arya killing Walder Frey at the same time - yeh! I wonder what will happen to Arya. She is changed now. The Mountain is still on her list, right? Maybe she could team up with an old friend to kill him?

And thank all the gods, the old and the new, for no Lady Stoneheart!

Dorne: lol Lady Olenna is the best. 

Winterfell: Love the smiles on Jon´s and Sansa´s faces when they talked about the white raven. Lady Mormont rocks! She just made everyone ashamed with a few lines. She is so cool. What an actress. I fear for Jon. KitN didn´t work out so great for Robb. But he will of course live to fight the white walkers. I loved how Sansa treated Littlefinger. I don´t think she will fall for his tricks again. It was just to give us something to think about until next season. 

Loved Davos and I felt sad for Mel at the same time. She will meet Arya again but I´m not sure what´s going to happen to her. Join Beric? 

North of the Wall: Finally! Promise me Ned! I found it a bit strange that Benjen took the horse. How is Meera supposed to drag Bran south of the Wall? 

Dragons Bay (!): Finally! We have waited years for this. I almost cried when Tyrion was named Hand of the Queen. Varys appearance on the ship was funny. :D  Wow, some does travel fast. I hope Theon will get some good scenes next season too. 

I so look forward to Cercei (and Euron?) vs. Dany. 

There have been a few scenes this season that has been meh but for the most part it has been brilliant. 

• Community Administrator

North of the Wall: Finally! Promise me Ned! I found it a bit strange that Benjen took the horse. How is Meera supposed to drag Bran south of the Wall? 

Isn't the horse supposed to be also undead?

Isn't the horse supposed to be also undead?
Technically, the horse is supposed to be an elk, but I don't know that they could have trained an elk to be ridden for filming the show.

Archived