DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What character do u hate the most ?

Guest Dedicated KT

Guest T@lm@nes

I've been reading this series for a while now (repeatedly) and though I don't really hate any character as such I must say at times certain characters do get irritating.

The whole elayne mat relation throughout the series makes me wonder how smart she really is. She's supposed to be a great queen and a by extension a great judge of character yet even till the last battle she hasnt realised mat is a great strategist?

Elaida was designed to be hated.

Gawyn I just ignore. I can never reread anything from his pov(I'm at my 5th or 6th reading)

Egwene is both my most favorite and my most hated depending on which part of the series you're looking at.

Cadsuane is good I guess but I'd like to know why she's so legendary instead of just accepting that she is.

Also the nynaeve-elayne dynamic especially before they go to the rebel tower is very very irritating. Valan luca must be mad to fall for nana at that point.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It wasn't Perrin or Faile's fault they had such a terrible story line for so long. In Shadows Rising, they were both fantastic. In the last 3 books, once again I liked them.

Elayne was always kinda tough for me, even her moments was generally her doing something pretty stupid. 

Elmindreda; the girly-girl phase of Min? I can see how that would be hate-able (or dislike-able).

Lini; main reason for a reader to hate/dislike her I would guess would be her various sayings. or possibly her trying to hitch Morgase & Tallanvor.

by the way, I do not hate any of those characters/actions.

by the way, I do not hate any of those characters/actions.

You know, after spending - literary - thousands of hours with them, I don't think that I can hate any of them. (Except a handful really evil characters).

Of course, e.g. chapter 40 in TGH makes my blood boil, boil?, basically my blood turns straight into steam, and I could kill all the Seanchan with my bare hands.

Our heroes are very likeable persons, their 'staff' are also like that too, and even the evil characters have very understandable doings, motivations. Or not.

For me, Nyneave was irritating right up until her "i give in" moment vs. Moghedien, when everything clicks into place and she accepts her life (while maintaining strength of character afterwards). 

I got most irritated mostly with any top Aes Sedai in the Salidar camp. Elaida was obviously bad and I agreed with the split, but their pettiness and squabling just really brought such a strong society and characters to a screeching halt. Suddenly Egwene was a Mary Jane instead of a strong young woman, and I don't think she ever needed THAT, although I loved her as Amyrlin. The group of irritants include: Suin Sanche, Leane, Romanda, Lelaine, et al. 

Elaida was obviously bad and I agreed with the split, but their pettiness and squabling just really brought such a strong society and characters to a screeching halt.

I like Elaida. I'm weird, I know.

We just see their true nature. They do not change at all, we just get an insight into their society.

I like eladia till the whole she gets captured and starts saying she will give them Aes Sedai to let her go.  I didn't mind her getting captured, as it made it the easiest way for Egwene to take power, I just hated BS making her such a traitor and coward.

For me, Nyneave was irritating right up until her "i give in" moment vs. Moghedien, when everything clicks into place and she accepts her life (while maintaining strength of character afterwards). 

I got most irritated mostly with any top Aes Sedai in the Salidar camp. Elaida was obviously bad and I agreed with the split, but their pettiness and squabling just really brought such a strong society and characters to a screeching halt. Suddenly Egwene was a Mary Jane instead of a strong young woman, and I don't think she ever needed THAT, although I loved her as Amyrlin. The group of irritants include: Suin Sanche, Leane, Romanda, Lelaine, et al. 

The pettinness made sense to me to a point, as alot of it was the BA doing.  Not to mention they have been squabbling and stuff for awhile, and its hard to suddenly put that all aside.  In TGH it's clear the ajahs didn't get along to start with.

The pettinness made sense to me to a point, as alot of it was the BA doing.  Not to mention they have been squabbling and stuff for awhile, and its hard to suddenly put that all aside.  In TGH it's clear the ajahs didn't get along to start with.

I'd like to add that they are humans, and we all know that humans have their flaws. We, from the outside, can say easily that they should change, how do we  imagine the 'perfect' AS, or "people can change". Yes, people CAN change, but most of them WON'T change. Or only for the worse...

Elaida seemed like-able (at least partly) until Shadow Rising.

and her treachery/cowardliness seemed to start long before the Sanderson books.  treachery, I think deposing Siuan; cowardliness, I think mostly her commands in books 5 through 11 and into the Sanderson books (she never attempted to do any of those things herself).

Treachery maybe, but at least when she deposed Siuan she thought Siuan was harming the tower.  Yes there was jealousy, resentment, ambition, etc  but she thought Suain secretly helping a man who could channel was a crime.  Also part pf her change was from being near Fain.  But I can never accept her being willing to turn Aes Sedai over to the Seanchean. 

Remember, they thought they held their positions because of their strength, but we find out in TGS that many of the older Aes Sedai had manipulated them into positions of power because they were easily controlled. The only one who noticed anything was Siuan, who was suspicious because the majority of new sitters were far too young. Traditionally sitters had worn the shawl for at least 100 years, but many had only been Aes Sedai for half that time, and one (Escaralde) was "only" 70.

I don't like Romanda or Lelaine. Not too fond of Cadsuane (reminds me of someone's cranky grandma), but at least she has the resume' to back up her arrogance. As for the rest

...remember, they thought they held their positions because of their strength, but we find out in TGS that many of the older Aes Sedai had manipulated them into positions of power because they were easily controlled. The only one who noticed anything was Siuan, who was suspicious because the majority of new sitters were far too young. Traditionally sitters had worn the shawl for at least 100 years, but many had only been Aes Sedai for half that time, and one (Escaralde) was "only" 70.

Edited by Kesiera_Sedai

Alas! the world has really changed. Three ages into the thread and no one has really bashed Eggy the exalted  one? What a sad day I have been destined to live. Hell no one has even come out to defend our very own Gollum the eggy. Perhaps, hate is a too strong a word to describe my feeling, but severe dislike is not too far. You see she has been one character that you had to make others to look stupid to make her look good. Right from the beginning she was a slut who latched on to whoever, provided her with maximum benefit. If she cannot have Rand to lord over, she will flirt shamelessly with Aram, Galad or Gawyn. Whoever happens to, be convenient. I know it is only partially true and probably not fair, but look at her character arc throughout the book and you see that all o her greatness was contrived. Unlike, some great characters who developed wit the story. There are several readers here who are new to the series and I will be spilling it or them.

Elaida seemed like-able (at least partly) until Shadow Rising.

and her treachery/cowardliness seemed to start long before the Sanderson books.  treachery, I think deposing Siuan; cowardliness, I think mostly her commands in books 5 through 11

On the contrary :smile:  until TSR, she's just an annoying AS, but after seeing through her eyes, all the pieces get in their place. From her pov, every act of her seems right, legit.

She often makes poor decisions, but just like in the case of Merana, I like her even better when she fails. Just like when I feel for Nyn when she cooks those terrrible meals.

Alas! the world has really changed. Three ages into the thread and no one has really bashed Eggy the exalted  one? What a sad day I have been destined to live. Hell no one has even come out to defend our very own Gollum the eggy. Perhaps, hate is a too strong a word to describe my feeling, but severe dislike is not too far. You see she has been one character that you had to make others to look stupid to make her look good. Right from the beginning she was a slut who latched on to whoever, provided her with maximum benefit. If she cannot have Rand to lord over, she will flirt shamelessly with Aram, Galad or Gawyn. Whoever happens to, be convenient. I know it is only partially true and probably not fair, but look at her character arc throughout the book and you see that all o her greatness was contrived. Unlike, some great characters who developed wit the story. There are several readers here who are new to the series and I will be spilling it or them.

I think it's time to spread the hate around.  Eggy is the top of my hate list, but never hurts to share some of the dislike.

Alas! the world has really changed. Three ages into the thread and no one has really bashed Eggy the exalted one? What a sad day I have been destined to live. Hell no one has even come out to defend our very own Gollum the eggy. Perhaps, hate is a too strong a word to describe my feeling, but severe dislike is not too far. You see she has been one character that you had to make others to look stupid to make her look good. Right from the beginning she was a slut who latched on to whoever, provided her with maximum benefit. If she cannot have Rand to lord over, she will flirt shamelessly with Aram, Galad or Gawyn. Whoever happens to, be convenient. I know it is only partially true and probably not fair, but look at her character arc throughout the book and you see that all o her greatness was contrived. Unlike, some great characters who developed wit the story. There are several readers here who are new to the series and I will be spilling it or them.

She was a know it all who refused to admit she was ever wrong.  She had no problems manipulating friends or even other Aes Sedai in order to get what she wanted.  She always assumed she knew better and had an aura of superiority about her.  She just assumed Rand was wrong about what needed to be done, and even though she had no plan herself, she just took the you're wrong stance.  Even when Moraine called her out about her dreams there was her refusing to admit what they meant.