DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Companion- Question answered and left unanswered

Sabio

Good to see the companion is out. Sad to think this is officially the last book.

Questions left unanswered:

Confirmed Verin sent Alanna north and was captured, but was it a setup?

Who ordered the farm attack

How exactly did Ishy use Jain

How exactly was Asmo killed, RJ said it was the how and where he died that made it impossible to be brought back.

Questions finally answered or confirmed:

When Taim became a DF

Why he went to recruit in the Two Rivers

The Fate of Thom nephew, why he was gentled  on the spot.

Why Jain was in Ebou Dar

Why Graendel was is Camylen when she ran into Asmo.

Nice to see a breakdown of Cas's Angreal

I was expecting small bits of information that described the future of some of the characters. Like what became of Mat after the last battle. Or who Nokomi.

While that would have been great, it has been stated that Jordan left absolutely nothing regarding post aMoL, with the exception of a very vague one sentence of Mat, that was most likely a seed he planted to see what story he could develop from it.

So, basically, its just a......

they all lived happily ever after.   :smile:

re: Sahra Covenry

That's what encyclopaedia-wot is saying/guessing too.   I would have thought that the Companion would have confirmed it though.

This thread from 2011 seems to convey that this mystery was never fully solved, though it was most likely Alviarin:

reread-who-killed-sahra-covenry

@Cosmic, yeah surprised it didn't say killed by so and so instead of  just killed by the black ajah. 

There was a post in a topic somewhere quoting rj or maybe BS to a statement about Sahra's death and it being Alvarin, and they said it was correct.  Just don't remember what topic it was under.

I never post, but I just had to log in to say "look at Bela's entry!" Lol, she lives! Haha

Holy ****!    :laugh:

Reading about power rankings really made my head hurt.

You sure ain't kidding. My ADD kicked in immediately and I just gave up.

I am hoping that someone will just make a nice graph or spreadsheet that will list all the channelers in order.

Alright, I have a list of questions I was hoping for more information on as they've been the focus of WoT research I've done in the past two years.  I'm very curious if anyone could point to anything they find in the Companion that would help elucidate these, because I have yet to find anything:

SHADAR LOGOTH

1) Mordeth's background.

2) The source of the corruption in Aridhol manifesting as "anti-Shadow evil."

3) Any significance to Mat's dagger making it so important to Fain (beyond it escaping the confines of Shadar Logoth).

EYE OF THE WORLD

4) The purpose of the Eye of the World.

5) Did the Eye do anything to Rand re unlocking past lives, forcing his use of the Power, etc.?

6) What is the significance of Rand channeling Light both here and post-epiphany in Maradon?

RAND'S MADNESS

7) What's that glowing stuff Nynaeve finds protecting Rand from his corruption?

Obviously, if I've somehow missed anything with those that elucidated them outside of the Companion, I'd be glad to know I didn't need them in the Companion. :)

As for some cool stuff answered in the book:

1) The Great Blight was "not part of the normal universe (as was also true of stedding or lands of Aelfinn/Eelfinn)."  I probably could have intuited that before, but I'd never made that parallel between it and those other places.

2) The Chair of Remorse was originally a VR entertainment device.  So good.

Ohh two questions ansered I forgot about,

Wht the black wind didn't kill Fain

More details about why the BA didn't have an easier time finding Rand.  Not to mention how easily it seems non BA reds went along  with the just killing any

man suspected of being able to channel.

The Bela entry made me laugh, and it was good to see Narg get his props.

Yea, I saw that bit about the Black Wind and Fain too. However, it seems a bit tongue and cheek to me.

Questions left unanswered:

• It is not explained how/why Taren Ferry is destroyed a second time(ch #1 aMol)  I guess that was just an error by BS.
  • Why is entering Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh considered EVIL by some? Is it just superstition?
  • Perrin's Hopper hammer powers are not fully disclosed. It appears from aMoL that they are more significant than from tToM. In fact, it's most important one(permanently killing a Darkhound) is not mentioned at all!!!!

As noted above, what I am finding a bit strange, is the exclusion of important facts of certain items, or unique personalities of some of the characters.

Some content that is missing:

• Ruby dagger
  • Aiel bridal wreath.
  • Aiel wedding ceremony

I was really hoping that the extra year added into the creation of this companion would make it more of a *complete guide*.  Like the one for Tolkien's Middle-Earth.

One very small error that I noticed was under Renald Fanwar: It has Mat giving him spear lessons at Merrilor, when in fact, Mat was really giving him carpentry lessons on sharpening stakes for constructing a palisade.  LOL

Plus, 'wobbles' is listed after 'wolf dream'.

Also, the 'Sa'sara' and 'pillow friends' are expounded on a wee bit more, which I wasn't expecting.

Why I can't see the preview of the Companion on Amazon, I see just the first 50 pages.....

That's because you are viewing it as a guest.

You have to be logged in to *your Amazon account*.

If you are there as a guest, you get about 50 pages.

However, once you log in, then you should be able to view up to 700 plus pages, with a whole lot omitted in between of course.

I would say if you are an avid WOT fan get it, if you are just a casual fan then pass. I am glad I bought it but I wouldn't say it's a must have.  I enjoy it.  Some stuff is the same other stuff it expands more on since it was stuff that got cut out of the books. For instance it confrms what we pretty much already knew that Intgar was the SHinerian in the DF meeting at the beginning  of  book 2 and the Mydraal that was about to attack Rand and later Intgar said got away, he lead it down to release Fain.  That just an example.  If you like Casudane you will want to get it.

Archived