DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Mistborn: The Original Trilogy is amazing.

Leyrann

Did you both like the wot books he wrote?

I liked them because I liked the style more, but the plot holes that were in the books every now and then I just didn't like. Would have preferred if RJ had been able to finish it. The good news is that he doesn't write plot holes in his own series.

His non-wot writing is good. A little shallow but very enjoyable and quite interesting. I do recommend reading them.

Wouldn't call the reason Vin is able to pierce copperclouds shallow (I'm not going to say anything more because it might spoil then). That's one of my favorite things in any series. Extremely well-done.

Also, I might send in something for the Tainted Times on Allomancy, though I guess that'll at least have to wait until a new Storm Leader is chosen.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Also read Wax and Wayne by the way. Liked the setting a bit less though, prefer fantasy-fantasy, as Talm said. Anyways, I'm planning on reading more of his stuff in my free time. Probably gonna take on Stormlight Archive first, and in general I mostly want to read the books that are part of the Cosmere.

Also read Wax and Wayne by the way. Liked the setting a bit less though, prefer fantasy-fantasy, as Talm said. Anyways, I'm planning on reading more of his stuff in my free time. Probably gonna take on Stormlight Archive first, and in general I mostly want to read the books that are part of the Cosmere.

I've found Stormlight to be very time intensive, at least through the first book. It was good, but so dense and complicated that it took me four months to finish. Way longer than other books that size.

I liked them because I liked the style more, but the plot holes that were in the books every now and then I just didn't like. Would have preferred if RJ had been able to finish it. The good news is that he doesn't write plot holes in his own series.

I'd have preferred it unfinished actually. He ruined the series.

His non-wot writing is good. A little shallow but very enjoyable and quite interesting. I do recommend reading them.

Wouldn't call the reason Vin is able to pierce copperclouds shallow (I'm not going to say anything more because it might spoil then). That's one of my favorite things in any series. Extremely well-done.

Also, I might send in something for the Tainted Times on Allomancy, though I guess that'll at least have to wait until a new Storm Leader is chosen.

lol that was actually pretty evident but that wasnt what i meant: characters are shallow and the styel in general

Hinderstap. I'd rate it the worst chapter in the series.

It certainly wasn't a good chapter in itself, but it did come back nicely in aMoL. Or have you still not finished them?

I'd have preferred it unfinished actually. He ruined the series.

lol that was actually pretty evident but that wasnt what i meant: characters are shallow and the styel in general

1. Any ending would be better than no ending. I probably would have preferred another writer, too, but on the other hand it did cause me to try out Mistborn, which I, as I said, think is really good.

2. Characters aren't as good as they could be, true, but not everyone can be a master at that. For the style, I don't know. I really like it, though.

I think no matter who did it there would have been issues. I'm satisfied with how it ended, and I'd rather accept it then nitpick I guess. I love BS as a writer, and I was turned on to him by his finishing the WoT so overall it ended up well for me personally.

I did finish it, but nothing in AMoL made anything any better for me. Nothing redeems hinderstap or mat's complete change of personality there, and nothing ever could.

It's ok if others enjoy it, it's great. I disliked it immensely, and I probably would have preferred an unfinished series. It didn't seem like a series that was ever meant to be finished by the author after the 8th book or so.

I've been reading this silly series since before a lot of you were born, and I've probably read it more times than most fans, believe it or not. The first three books more than a dozen times each, the next 3 probably more than 10 times each. The rest of the RJ books at least 3 or 4 times each, though it was hard to keep going when the threads of all the plots started to fall apart. I very much doubt I'll ever reread any of the BS ones. It makes me sad that something that started so well ended so disappointingly. Not just the BS, either. I think RJ lost track of things pretty early on, though I'd have kept reading him as long as he wrote.

I finished Shadows of Self today, and quite liked it 

Just picked my copy of SoS up the other day, can't wait to start reading it.

I finished it last week.  Very much enjoyed - it was a nice build on what Alloy of Law started.

I finished Shadows of Self today, and quite liked it 

It's out? :O

Off to Amazon.

Also, Sanderson's a pretty solid author, but he's not a particularly deep author the way some of the epic writers (like RJ) are. Hence the lesser quality of the final WoT books. Because....that double bonding/linking scene. Jesus. 

His books are good, I've been meaning to read the rest of his universe, I've only read the first 4 Mistborn so far. 

Not a deep author? I thought Mistborn was completely genius. And Stormlight's world hasn't been built too much yet but I can tell it's going to be very in-depth.

Mistborn was good, don't get me wrong. But it's plot delivery. There's no ongoing mystery. In stuff like WoT or aSoIaF, there's stuff I try to solve, to guess at what's coming next. I've never really had that in Mistborn. Even the kidnapping thing in Trilogy 2 seems really obvious (to me at least). Haven't read SoS yet to see if it's revealed and it's what I think, about to though.

On a side note, I always get what series Brandon Sanderson and Jim Butcher write confused. They're really similar stylistically imo. 

Butcher is significantly darker and harder edged than Sanderson. I really don't see how they could be considered similar.

I've read three books by him only: The first two Codex Alera books and Storm Front. Neither were particularly dark or harder edged, in my opinion. If it gets that way later in the series, though, I have no idea.

Butcher is significantly darker and harder edged than Sanderson. I really don't see how they could be considered similar.

I've read three books by him only: The first two Codex Alera books and Storm Front. Neither were particularly dark or harder edged, in my opinion. If it gets that way later in the series, though, I have no idea.

I've only read the Dresden books, and those only as far as book 5. They have a dark similarity to hard-boiled mystery stories from the likes of Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, and Robert B. Parker. I've never gotten any kind of vibe like that from Sanderson.

I've only read the Dresden books, and those only as far as book 5. They have a dark similarity to hard-boiled mystery stories from the likes of Raymond Chandler, Dashiell Hammett, and Robert B. Parker. I've never gotten any kind of vibe like that from Sanderson.

Codex Alera is the one I confuse between the two authors mostly. The two authors are still similar stylistically, especially if you compare how close RJ and Sanderson are. 

• 2 weeks later...

Archived