DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Bubbles of Evil

Graendals favourite

Does anyone have ideas on them, the bubbles of evil. I had concocted a theory, but do you have a better one? There was one on the fourth book, then from the seventh semiregularly.  I think there was mention of such in the sixth book too, rumours that had to have been that. I had a theory that they couldn't be all random as per Moiraine's explanation, I don't have anything to substantiate that though. What do you all think?

Traps of Rhuidean, why would the people who built Rhudiean or the Aes Sedai want to kill the aiel going to and from Rhudiean?  Any aiel who couldn't accept the visions already didn't come back.  Plus there should be corpses, skeleton laying about.  We know the forsaken wouldn't of been able to trap the place.  I think Moraine for the most part had it right, People like Rand, Mat, and Perin are more likely to attract these bubbles then ordinary folks.  Also hard to say since there are no POV's from the forsaken about the occurances. 

from what I recall, the on screen miasma of this series::

Great Hunt; Fal Dara (wind).

Shadow Rising; 3 nearly simultaneous ones in Tear, 1 later one in Rhuidean.

Lord of Chaos; Salidar (wood & glass moving).

Knife of Dreams; Altara (people and buildings sinking into ground); and another near or at some factory (beetles coming out of a man).

Gathering Storm; the chapters with following icon.

pattern_bw.gif

Towers of Midnight; Perrin's camp (weapons moving).

edit::

from what I skimmed of last book;1 more on screen miasma:

Tar Valon; bridge collapsing.

miasma I count as one part of the Pattern falling apart.  that scene seemed similar to other miasma.

Pattern falling apart I count as a general category and not as actual events.

the other kinds of events::

-corridor/room/landscape shifting

-picture/portrait changing

-ghosts

-unnatural weather

-excessive food spoiling (and/or food spoiling when Keeping weave is present)

-excessive rats (and/or rats within the boundaries of a rat ward)

-snags

I didn't see the Stone of Tear mentioned.  When they heard the rooster crow....Perrin's axe attacked him, Rand's image came out of the mirror, and the playing card stabbed Mat.  There were other things that all happened at the same time to others in the Stone too, but of course I remember the main characters. 

I never liked the name "Bubbles of Evil", but I don't know what else they could have called them.  I understood Moiraine's explanation, and it seemed as good as anybody else would have come up with.  I don't recall anyone asking Cadsuane or one of the Wise Ones what they thought of them.  They were all around a lot more years and seen a lot more things.  Maybe they would have had a better name for them. 

did some edits to my previous posts.

to bigdoug::

miasma seem somewhat recent.  not sure if Cadsuane or the Aiel Wise Ones would know about them.

I would guess that someone who has read a lot would know more than someone who has seen/witnessed a lot.

miasma are a something, not a someone.

from what I recall from on screen miasma, they seem to be controlled by the Dark One.

though they seem to also be somewhat random.

all parts of the Pattern falling apart seem to be like those.

Archived