DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Most Favorite Characters

JeNeal Olsen

Mordeth and Fain were probably merged by then.  It seems doubtful that either could free the other.  If either could free the other, getting past everyone would probably be easy.  The person to free probably had access to the keys; and the keys were probably out of reach from the prisoners.

• 8 months later...

I'm on my first read, and still pretty early in book 6, so I expect my opinions to change down the road. Here are my current favorites in no particular order:

-WARNING-

Spoilers may lie ahead (up to book 6). You have been warned.

MAT - Though I've always liked Mat, he's only recently become a favorite. He finally seems to be accepting his fate, but with a certain delightful cynicism that I strongly relate to.

PERRIN - My favorite character through books 3 and 4 was definitely Perrin. All of his arcs were just awesome to read, and I was highly satisfied with the ending of the Two Rivers incident.

RAND - Few things bring me joy like Rand slapping around a few pompous lords. He's become such a scheming little smart@$$ and I love it. I can't wait to find out what his big surprise is in book 6.

EGWENE - I mostly like Egwene's dream powers, but also for her resourcefulness and realistic outlook. Not only did she make the best of her Seanchan imprisonment by learning and becoming stronger, but she was the first of the Emond's Fielders to realize and accept that they would probably never see home again. She knew their lives would be drastically turned upside down and she fully accepted it with open arms.

ELAYNE - Though her pairing with Nyneave left a bad taste in my mouth, I've rediscovered Elayne as an enjoyable character in her own right. Her Sea Folk weather powers (which I had completely forgotten about) and growing mastery of ter'angreal are fun to watch unfold, and the dynamic between her and Min is interesting to say the least.

MIN - While certainly not a "center stage" character, I like the mystery surrounding Min's powers. I was immediately pulled in by her tomboy demeanor, and find it interesting how she's slowly becoming more feminine. I also enjoyed reading the sections about her party's escape from Tar Valon.

THE MAIDENS OF THE SPEAR - I know this is pretty general, but there's never a dull moment when the Maidens are around. From their unwavering pride and honor, to their dark and wicked humor, to their motherly overbearing of Rand. The Maidens always know how to brighten up a scene.

THE FORSAKEN - Another general favorite. I'm in constant awe of the sheer scope this series takes on, and the Forsaken are a large part of that. Even though they're few and far between, I like reading the Forsaken PoV sections. They offer some insight into who these people were before they fell and how their respective backgrounds shaped what they became after. Plus their constant plotting against each other is just plain entertaining.

• 1 month later...
Guest Slugger

I just finished the series last night...after many years reading them.  I read Knife of Dreams as soon as it came out, but I didn't pick up Gathering Storm until a few months ago.  It's kind of bitter-sweet to me that it's over now.

Like many have said, the characters changed for me over time.  I was very annoyed with most of the female characters near the beginning of the series, but that got better at the end.  I think I liked them better when they were separated, as opposed to the guys, who I liked together.  Weird.  Anyway...

Mat is definitely one of my favorite characters, and I had no problems with him in the last three books.  When I re-read the series, I'll have to pay more attention to the differences in writing style.

I adored Androl and Pevara.  I've also always liked Logain.  Nyneave really got on my nerves at first, but I ended up liking her a good deal.  Same with Siuan.

• 1 month later...

I would have to say that Egwene and Nynaeve are some of my favorites, just because they have very strong personalities and it just seems that I would get along with them in real life. I also really like Loial because he genuinely cares about everyone, and has such a peaceful attitude. Mat is great because he provides the comic relief. And, of course Perrin and Rand are good too.

Here is how I would rank them my favorites:

Egwene

Loial

Nynaeve/ Lan (still one of my favorite couples)

Min (Elmindreda :rolleyes:)

Mat

Perrin/ Faile (because she is amazing, too!)

Rand

Basically all of the Forsaken because they are so mysterious and unique

Yeah, I have a ton of favorites, but oh well. These books are so amazing! I have just started book 5, and I intend to read the series in its entirety eventually!

• 3 weeks later...

I like bad guys and girls!

So I'll have to go with Graendal. 

I've always enjoyed the scenes that she inhabits in the series.

Unlike some of the other Forsaken, she's just so utterly creepy, not to mention an extremely capable and brave fighter.

Don’t you find it remarkable what can be learned with the proper encouragement? Consider all the talents going to waste.

Something about her eagerness to strip the will from other people using compulsion just makes my skin crawl.  None of the other Forsaken are as scary as this. 

Compulsion had made him utterly loyal, of course.

She surrounds herself with hundreds of these unlucky individuals that have had their minds destroyed.  We can also infer from Sammael's PoV that she probably murdered all of their children as well after collecting them. 

I just.  Ugh.

What a great villain!

• 4 months later...

I forgot to mention Cadsuane in my earlier post. I know there are a lot of people that don't like her, but the same people seem to like Egwene, so we can all agree to disagree.

I would like to point out my reason: For me, Cadsuane is everything an Aes Sedai should be. She is powerful, she is legendary, she means what she says and says what she means. Cadsuane is not afraid of the Forsaken and I think she could have went toe to toe with most of them, even though she does have the best ter'angreal of the whole books. She don't waste her time with the politics of the Tower and gets out and does stuff with her life, position, and power. She is knowledgeable, intelligent, mysterious in her own way, and other people are not only wary of her, but some are flat out afraid of her and that includes other Aes Sedai. Cadsuane shows her skills as not only powerful, but as a battle leader and planner at the Cleansing while she alone stays on the hill with Rand and protects him and Nyneave and not only has enough strength to hold up that shield above them, but to throw waves of Power at the Forsaken along with washing away the fatigue from Nyneave. She is what other Aes Sedai, especially of the Green Ajah use as the measure of what they want to be and accomplish. I liked her from the 1st time she walked in the room when Rand was holding court and threw him off his game and shocked everyone in the room from the moment she appeared. "I thought you were dead". I loved it!!! She was definitely one of my favorite characters in the entire series.

I always hated that we never see Egwene and Cadsuane engaged in conversation. I think they would have gotten along very well. I kinda see Egwene as a young Cadsuane, except apparently Cadsuane was very arrogant in her younger years, but the wilder Norla, who gave her the paralis-net, took care of that.

Archived