DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Socks and a secret lab

Niniel

Me and my daughter had a discussion about teddybears being up during the nights, doing whatever they do, when we are sleeping. We were talking about what they do and what they eat and then we got to this:

F: Aha! That´s what happens to the other sock! They eat them!

T: I thought it was the secret washing machine conspiracy that eats them.

F: No. Don´t you remember that the washing machine is the entrance to your secret lab?

T: Right... I had forgotten. 

A perfectly normal family. *nods*

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we can get pretty weird too. Something like five years ago, this happened:

Me: Thats like, a billion (1 000 000 000) seconds!.

My brother: Do you know how long a billion seconds is?

Me (instantly): 30 years.

He: Exactly.

That moment when you both know by heart how long a billion seconds is and don't think it's weird either.

There was actually one time for one of my classes that we had to calculate how much a billion seconds was and then name a few things that were going on in the world a billion seconds ago.

And this happened back in the 90s so we were looking at stuff from the 60s and we were all amazed!

Well, we can get pretty weird too. Something like five years ago, this happened:

Me: Thats like, a billion (1 000 000 000) seconds!.

My brother: Do you know how long a billion seconds is?

Me (instantly): 30 years.

He: Exactly.

That moment when you both know by heart how long a billion seconds is and don't think it's weird either.

I think that's pretty cool, knowing how billion seconds is

Why would you want to eat a teddybear when there are so much chocolate in the world? 

Well... are there chocolate teddybears? If so, I´m sure they smell and taste chocolate. And perhaps mint. Or banana. 

I also once played a game with a friend of his, naming powers of two in turn without having to calculate them. We got to ~2^20.

Wow!

I can barely get to 32, it might be stretched to 1024 with some very quick calculations in head...maybe to two or three more numbers but no where near that

Math... sock eating teddybears are so much better.

I thought math was better. It doesn't get dirty.

Now, if I just understood how math got to being the subject to study most for from the subject to study least for, in a few months I might maths.

Now, I have to find my teddy, Banana

I also once played a game with a friend of his, naming powers of two in turn without having to calculate them. We got to ~2^20.

Wow!

I can barely get to 32, it might be stretched to 1024 with some very quick calculations in head...maybe to two or three more numbers but no where near that

1 024

2 048

4 096

8 192

16 384

32 768 (that one actually tends to give me trouble, but it wasn't my turn with that game so it went by unnoticed. 2^15 btw, I do know that by heart)

65 536

131 072

262 144

524 288

1 048 576

That's basically how far I can do it by heart.

Am I allowed to use a calculator?

Oh why even bother.

1 024 * 1 024 = 1 048 576

1 048 576

0 000 512

-------------X

002 097 152

010 485 760

524 288 000

----------------+

536 870 912

It's a 4.

(by the way, second and third of the multiplier were just filling it in: 2^20 and 2^19 with zeroes behind it, while if I had known 2^21 by heart that'd have been simple filling in too).

Archived