DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

About the Oath Rod and Mesaana

Sabio

In the wheel of time companion preview about the oath rod it brought up an interesting point.  How Mesaana and possbily some of the BA evaded the reoathing when they swore they weren't a DF.  Egwene and others thought it might of been something such as a weave that makes it sound like you are saying something you aren't.  When reading the preview it may of been something as simply as Mesaana not believing she is a DF.  After all she considers herself a choosen not some lowly darkfriend, while a cunning BA could evade it by not thinking of herself as a DF but a black ajah or even still an Aes Sedai.  Also shows the oaths are more for publicity then actually being really useful for a cunning Aes Sedai.  So it may not of been some complex weave just once again something as simply  is what one believes.

Question: She (Mesaana) could swear that she not a darkfriend on the oath right?

Brandon said: As long as she believed it to be true.  Every remaining Aes Sedai in the tower has retaken the three oaths.  You should be thinking of ways to defeat the oath rod.  There is a way to do it.

Maybe the BA did something like that but I doubt a Foresaken would bind herself with a binder for what ever reason. I don't know the answer but Mesaana might have been older than 300 and dropped dead upon swearing. This was the problem Egwene had with the Kin

Well also have to remember Mesaana is probably a lot more familiar with a binder.  There could be a number of loopholes to use. Not to mention the first thing she would try to do is get the oaths removed.  But any of the three oaths could easily be manipulated by the forsaken.  I will not use the power as a weapon except in defense of my life.  Well disobeying the DO could get one killed to that might enable her to pretty freely unleash the power.   I am not a darkfriend, well again she considers herself a choosen not a DF.  So taking the oaths might not of been a problem at all. 

I forget, did they have to remove the oaths before reswearing them again?  Because if I remember right when the BA removed their oaths to the DO it was pretty painful.

Archived