DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Which WoT character would you want to be in reality?

ThePowerOfSaidin

That I'd want to be? Mat, no contest. 

The person I'd probably be? Ishmael. 

It's Ishamael.

Also, I doubt you're actually a nihilist.

Except for the dagger of crazy and the near death experiances I'd probably say Mat.

How about that one time he truly did die?

That I'd want to be? Mat, no contest. 

The person I'd probably be? Ishmael. 

It's Ishamael.

Also, I doubt you're actually a nihilist.

Except for the dagger of crazy and the near death experiances I'd probably say Mat.

How about that one time he truly did die?

Within the WoT universe, I would be. If the same thing happened over and over and over again, our lives are just the script of the world and meaningless. 

Further, The Dark One has infinite do-overs. He only has to win once to be victorious, where (The Creator/The Dragon/Etc) has to win every single time. His victory is inevitable. 

But irl, I'm definitely not a nihilist. 

Well, it's in reality, not the other way around.

Anyways, I'd like to adress two points:

First, just because there is cyclical time, that does not mean there is no free will.

Second, the Dark One can not win, for he has not won as long as at least one human anywhere still opposes him. That's the idea of the series. Evil cannot win as long as good is out there fighting it.

Okay, this is a point where I assume WoT characters don't actually know the truth. I think the cycle has been going on a long time, but not forever. 

If the Wheel has been spinning forever, then every possible outcome has happened, and it's impossible for tDO to win. Meaning the whole "struggle" is pointless, because no matter what choices people make, no matter what tDO does, he cannot ever win. 

• 1 month later...

I think though despite the fact that it's never happened makes the story more interesting, because it seems that perhaps this might be the time it does. The Creator even interferes, showing that it is serious. I always got the idea that Rand sensed this and so tried to make a more permanent fix, doing something no one had ever done before making it the real Last Battle.

Okay, this is a point where I assume WoT characters don't actually know the truth. I think the cycle has been going on a long time, but not forever. 

If the Wheel has been spinning forever, then every possible outcome has happened, and it's impossible for tDO to win. Meaning the whole "struggle" is pointless, because no matter what choices people make, no matter what tDO does, he cannot ever win. 

(AMoL spoiler)

It's not about the struggle. Rand even notices, as long as even one person keeps standing up against the Dark One, he cannot truly win. It's about people getting to be there for one another, it's about caring. It's about being able to make the right choice: Light and not Shadow.

That's a difficult question. Mat was always one of my favorite characters but I don't know how it would work to be him.

I guess I'd rather be one of the characters who gets a happy ending and is able to have a somewhat quiet life. Like Tallanvor (prolly spelled wrong)

(AMoL spoiler)

It's not about the struggle. Rand even notices, as long as even one person keeps standing up against the Dark One, he cannot truly win. It's about people getting to be there for one another, it's about caring. It's about being able to make the right choice: Light and not Shadow.

The whole Sha'rah scene with Mordin implies that this isn't the only wincon for the Shadow. I'd like to believe that the Light vs. Shadow struggle isn't as simple as "if you believe, everything will be alright."  I'd like to believe that decisions, choices, and actions from both sides matter. 

Archived