DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Moiraine's Insight and her Six Sources

Orderofolde

We all know that Moiraine had a lot of information to guide her.  We know that she knew the means and manner and location and the time of her death.  She also knew the specifics of being trapped in Finnland and the best chances of being rescued.  I thought that it would be fun to explore which source of information she gained what knowledge from.  Here are the known and potential sources of information that guided her:

* Min (We know this is the source of whom she will marry)

* The Angreal she went through to be tested for full Aes Sedai (Based off the testing we see with Nynaeve and what it showed of Lan and Malkier's future)

* The Redstone Doorway

* The Ter'angreal in Rhudian

* The Twin's Library or on that journey as she came away with the knowledge of Balefire and "Was more dangerous" than she used to be.

I think that she might have had a few more that I have overlooked.  She was already an accepted at the time of the foretelling so we cannot strongly say that she gained knowledge from the Accepted Ter'angreal, but perhaps some clues about the future at the time she wrote off as nonsense or nightmare.

Min; she seems to be the most likely source for Moiraine's knowledge of Moiraine's future husband, yet there might be a slight chance of that knowledge coming from something/someone else.

the terangreal for Novice to Accepted or for Accepted to Aes Sedai; neither do actual predictions.

doorway terangreal, there are 2; Aelfinn & Eelfinn.  the Aelfinn one offers predictions.

terangreal in Rhuidean, there were at least 3; Eelfinn doorway, Glass Columns, and Rhuidean's 3-ring terangreal.  that 3-ring terangreal was the predictor.

Moiraine's knowledge of balefire; as far as I recall, the books do not tell when/where/how she learned it.  though I would guess the time being before the main series.

Not sure if Moiraine learned any weave at the twin's house.  She seemed to mainly get "general" knowledge at that house.

I always assumed Moriane gained her husband knowledge from the doorway in tear. Min never seeing Thom couldn't of given a specific vision to moraine unless it was something like I see a marriage also around a colored cloak, something like that.  I also assumed she learned balefire at the twins house, one being a brown I assumed she discovered an old manuscript or something.  But that's just what I assumed.

actually, Min did see Thom; when the Two Rivers folks were at Baerlon.  and even had Viewings of him; a man juggling fire, White Tower.

also, Moiraine had not yet went through the Aelfinn doorway when she made the statement.

edit::  just one of the twins were Brown.  the other was a Green.

Ooops thanks for the correction, no idea why but for some reason I forgot Thom was with them at Baerlon.  So guess it was Min who told her, guess it explains why she was so sure Thom was alive after whitebridge.

about Moiraine discovering balefire; not sure about she learning the weave from a manuscript.  the most a manuscript could have told her about balefire would probably be its history and what it does (and/or what it can do).

possible ways for her to learn the weave::

-unintentionally doing the weave at some point of her life.

-some channeler doing the weave in her presence.

-the terangreal that reveals fears.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived