DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Advanced] Mass Effect II mafia

csarmi

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

@ Ley...the terms used don't indicate what you are, it's the difference between using the terms wolf, seer, villager: which is related to werewolf game (what they were first called here). Then other players from other sites came and terminology changed to; Mafia, scum, cop etc. now there seems to be a reverse back to wolf/seer etc. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but I read it you thought what you used was indicative to alignment. :-)

lol Talya

Zander and sooh are pretty new. think zanders played like 4 games. EVERY game he has voted sooh.  So have I actually. thats what was behing my "see this is why" post to her

im trying hard to resist wolfie and village terms. I prefer mafia scum and town

What's the difference between mafia and scum? You use mafia when you're town and scum when you're mafia?

I try to do what Ithi and Turin do and only use mafia but when i get annoyed i sometimes use scum. Dont use that much tho

lol Talya

Zander and sooh are pretty new. think zanders played like 4 games. EVERY game he has voted sooh.  So have I actually. thats what was behing my "see this is why" post to her

im trying hard to resist wolfie and village terms. I prefer mafia scum and town

What's the difference between mafia and scum? You use mafia when you're town and scum when you're mafia?

I try to do what Ithi and Turin do and only use mafia but when i get annoyed i sometimes use scum. Dont use that much tho

@ Ley...the terms used don't indicate what you are, it's the difference between using the terms wolf, seer, villager: which is related to werewolf game (what they were first called here). Then other players from other sites came and terminology changed to; Mafia, scum, cop etc. now there seems to be a reverse back to wolf/seer etc. Not trying to teach you to suck eggs, but I read it you thought what you used was indicative to alignment. :-)

I've seen people using it as an indicator for alignment in the past and I was sorta joking about it (I don't believe it actually does work as alignment tell) because he named them seperately.

Gotta lynch wolves alannalynn

you need to start looking elsewhere then.

I ask again, why do you think I'm a wolf?

I didn't say I did. Patience, Alannalynn, gotta learn to R-E-L-A-X
I'll relax when you bother to explain your thought process behind literally anything you've done.

We've already had the conversation about playing transparently and sharing your thoughts. You have yet to share a single thing, and I am becoming very suspicious.

It genuinely amuses me when people aren't used to Darthe being Darthe.

I think "Darthe being Darthe" is a lame excuse (no offense Darthe, you do well in the game and I have been mafia with you before and it was fun). But, I would expect most people to explain their votes and why they believe someone to be mafia when they call it out like that, instead of being stubborn and telling people to relax. Most people would get votes for failing to provide explanation.

I don't know if you're just trying a new angle here, but it's making it a little difficult to read you as town.

On a more positive note: I got one hour of sleep but I made it through the security check point at the airport. Go me!

When I talk about "Darthe being Darthe" it's basically "I'm not gonna change anything about it now, he'll explain his stuff at some point, and if I want to get more information from/about him, I'll do that D2 or 3". Also because he tends to be a pretty strong town player.

Question: Has the mafia parlance on DM shifted from 'scum' and 'town' to 'wolves' and 'village'? I'm aware of the existance of werewolf, but didn't realize it had become commonplace here.

A little.  The village/wolf thing is more from another site that a handful of DMers have now played on.  Darthe and myself (amongst others) took part in a Championship mafia series last year, and another "season" is ongoing right now.  The forum that the games are played on uses those terms, and some of our newer mafia members frequent that site and also use the terms.  So it has started seeping into many of our vocabularies - either by actually playing there (like me), or by hearing it a lot and getting used to it.

alright. I have some time to read and catch up today, seeing my doc has forbidden me to go to work. One is not supposed to walk on a knee with a damaged meniscus.

Usually, i don't follow the sign up threads at all once i'm signed in. I didn't see the Ley/Maw thing there, and i have to disagree with Verb, I am probably the worst BT member :tongue: I think that 2 people voting eachother early D1 is hardly any more than fooling around a bit. If it's still going on closer to deadline, then it would be worth investigating.

I like Verbal's posts, which worries me. Pardon me for being cautious around you, Verb, i know that you can wolf pretty good but i can't tell D1. Perhaps later in the game.

I agree with Dice that Sooh's post is worth keeping in mind. And i think Dice is town... at least, i hope so.

Something else that i'm keeping in the back of my head (call me paranoid if you like), is that Ley and Maw might use their 'rivalry' to hide one of them, or both, being wolf. It would be too good of an opportunity not to use.

Alanna: i also vind Darthe's vote a bit weird, but... it's D1, and he may be up to shenanigans again.

Darthe: You're quiet, when compared to previous games. That's the impression i have anyways.

Not recently, buddy.  I've been playing a crap wolf game my last few times.  I'm making up for it by playing strong town games, so you'll see that side of me the whole time.  Ease your paranoia, I'll be the towniest townie that ever towned in this game.  ;-)

We didn't really use the village/seer terminology in the beginning - we did use wolves, but then healer/finder instead of doc/cop.  It quickly went into mafia/town for years, and now is expanding a bit due to the influx of offsite people joining DM.

When I talk about "Darthe being Darthe" it's basically "I'm not gonna change anything about it now, he'll explain his stuff at some point, and if I want to get more information from/about him, I'll do that D2 or 3". Also because he tends to be a pretty strong town player.

^ all of this is true re: Darthe

****snip***

i think verb is engaging people- lite town-y lean

t think talya was just trying to get thoughts on things

obv conclusion:

[v] Sooh [/v]

i have to be right about this sometime....

I'm curious about this. Is this another tradition that I'm unaware of? Would like to hear more.

***snip***

Yes, pretty much like Dice explained. It's a Zander thing to vote for me. He has said to me that he will continue to vote for me until one day he's finally right about me.

I picked up on the whole Ley/Maw thing in the sign up thread, so yeah, I feel Talya's reaction is a bit too rash perhaps here. Then again the beginning of this game has been pretty darn slow, so somebody had to point out something to get it to start. 

I'm not sure about Verb yet. Something tells me that he's looking for a scapegoat, but at the same time he concludes much less harshly than I would expect for that. Or perhaps he's gauging other people's reactions.

see its posts like these that make me vote you Sooh. the blue sounds like an accusation. the red sounds like you giving yourself an out.

Im definitely leaning Town on verb. 

Dice, I thought the whole point of the game was also to  show people how I'm thinking. It's literally what I was thinking, and I explained more later. At some point I'd like for you to stop criticizing my way of playing and try to understand it. It's getting rather old. 

****snip***

i think verb is engaging people- lite town-y lean

t think talya was just trying to get thoughts on things

obv conclusion:

[v] Sooh [/v]

i have to be right about this sometime....

I'm curious about this. Is this another tradition that I'm unaware of? Would like to hear more.

***snip***

Yes, pretty much like Dice explained. It's a Zander thing to vote for me. He has said to me that he will continue to vote for me until one day he's finally right about me.

I picked up on the whole Ley/Maw thing in the sign up thread, so yeah, I feel Talya's reaction is a bit too rash perhaps here. Then again the beginning of this game has been pretty darn slow, so somebody had to point out something to get it to start. 

I'm not sure about Verb yet. Something tells me that he's looking for a scapegoat, but at the same time he concludes much less harshly than I would expect for that. Or perhaps he's gauging other people's reactions.

see its posts like these that make me vote you Sooh. the blue sounds like an accusation. the red sounds like you giving yourself an out.

Im definitely leaning Town on verb. 

Dice, I thought the whole point of the game was also to  show people how I'm thinking. It's literally what I was thinking, and I explained more later. At some point I'd like for you to stop criticizing my way of playing and try to understand it. It's getting rather old. 

Sooh, to be fair, I had the same internal reaction that Dice did.  This is not alignment indicative for Dice, I'm just saying that he has a point.  I like that you provided your thoughts, but I think the way you worded your post was a little eyebrow raising.  No offense to your game intended, btw, I think you're a good player.  I just don't want Dice viewed in a negative light due to this, that's all.

In other news, I'm feeling really good about you two not likely being wolfbros, heh.  v/v or v/w, but not likely w/w

We didn't really use the village/seer terminology in the beginning - we did use wolves, but then healer/finder instead of doc/cop.  It quickly went into mafia/town for years, and now is expanding a bit due to the influx of offsite people joining DM.

Ah, you are right it was finder, wow, I forgot that, seer sounded right (probably because it was different to cop). I stand corrected. Your memory is better than mine.

I have to say Verb, you are playing differently from House of cards, that I read, so we shall see where that goes (in case anyone asks he was wolf there).

**snip**

Sooh, to be fair, I had the same internal reaction that Dice did.  This is not alignment indicative for Dice, I'm just saying that he has a point.  I like that you provided your thoughts, but I think the way you worded your post was a little eyebrow raising.  No offense to your game intended, btw, I think you're a good player.  I just don't want Dice viewed in a negative light due to this, that's all.

In other news, I'm feeling really good about you two not likely being wolfbros, heh.  v/v or v/w, but not likely w/w

I don't think I indicated that I made a read either way about him based on that.  I was just responding to him commenting on me. 

Ah, you are right it was finder, wow, I forgot that, seer sounded right (probably because it was different to cop). I stand corrected. Your memory is better than mine.

I have to say Verb, you are playing differently from House of cards, that I read, so we shall see where that goes (in case anyone asks he was wolf there).

Yes, I am playing differently.  Like I said, my wolf game is subpar right now, so I'm glad to be a villager again.  Darthe will prob chime in on this once he's back.

If you wanna feel included, you can vote me as a joke.  :wink:

As for joke votes, I generally ignore them and look for the first vote a person makes once game discussion begins. That's why Darthe's vote is sticking out to me, I don't care if it's on me or somebody else, it just feels so out of place.

@Dice I prefer scum/town too, I only say wolf/villager if I'm paraphrasing someone. It makes me feel all weird

Joke votes are ok, as long as they are said they are. But to ignore votes at the beginning because you think they are joke votes is not a good idea.

this is going very slowly...

Lets hunt some wolves!

[v]MAW[/v]

So now I'm going to question you on the same thing you questioned Ley on for voting Mawth - why?

To see what happened

And what did you expect to happen here?

Why expect things, you are only disappointed - silly question really

I found two parts of this conversation suspicious.

This has tayla contradicted herself irt. It's easier to slip than just posting in thread whenever.

Why am I contradicting myself...I wanted to see what happened, Verb asked what did I expect (mean I was wanting to see certain things) I wasn't expecting certain things to happen, just to wait and see if anything came out of it, or maybe later. But no specific thing, of which I was asked.

Archived