DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Sorlea shows Cadsuane travelling?

I've just re-read this bit in Path of Daggers and am stuck as to how Sorlea knows travelling. So far I thought only the Rebels know this via Egwene and are keeping it to themselves...

How does Sorlea know travelling to show it to Cadsuane? this is at the point where they properly meet each other for the first time and Sorlea says she is bound by wather oath to "teach Rand al'Thor laughter and tears"?!

Sorry if this is obvious but it's been bugging for me for a long time!

Egwene first figures out how to Travel while with the Aiel while under their apprenticeship. They would have seen it.

As for updating to the 'proper' weave - since Egwene didn't originally use the usual Travelling to go to Salidar - she kept in contact with the Wise Ones. They already knew the 'secret'. 

Egwene first figures out how to Travel while with the Aiel while under their apprenticeship. They would have seen it.

As for updating to the 'proper' weave - since Egwene didn't originally use the usual Travelling to go to Salidar - she kept in contact with the Wise Ones. They already knew the 'secret'. 

Yes, and also Sorilea has the talent to learn a weave after seeing it only one time.

Thanks for the reply! I thought Egwene entered Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh to get to Salidar, and then used that to discover travelling? Or I guess they are similar anyway?

"exit" seems more accurate than "awake".

Winter's Heart Prologue (Elayne's POV) tells that Egwene has taught various weaves to the Wise Ones.  The teaching I take began within the time-frame of Crown of Swords.

Well from my understanding unless you are Slayer or Perin (in the last book), you have to enter Te'laran'rhiod in the flesh and awake through a gateway. 

Yes. Egwene didn't know how to use it to Travel immediately to Salidar at the time, so she did what the Forsaken do, open a Gateway into T'A'R and exit via the same method. 

However, the weave was still a Gateway, it was just Egwene's use of it. Once the Wise Ones understood that you could use it to Travel immediately, they had the weave, all they had to do was apply it differently. They would have observed Rand's ability to Travel instantaneously and know that they could do it with the female version. 

Also, as mb said, Egwene taught the Wise Ones weaves and conversed regularly. IF they did not deduce it from Rand, Egwene could have told them that it could be used that way. (This wouldn't contradict her saying she kept it secret, since the Wise Ones already knew the weave.) 

Another possibility is Nynaeve, Elayne or especially Aviendha told them how to use it in that way. 

So they had ample sources to learn how to use a Gateway, Sorelia is a smart woman, she probably figured it out just by observing Rand, but it is plausible that they knew how when she taught it to Cadsuane. 

Mb, no I meant awake since sleeping you don't enter the dream world in the flesh.  So I meant awake and having to use a gateway as being the requirements to going there in the flesh except in the cases of Slayer and Perin.

"awake" to me implies that the person was sleeping.  my understanding is that people who enter in the flesh do not sleep.

and Dreamwalkers tend to continue to sleep when the get out of Telaranrhiod.

Thanks for the reply! I thought Egwene entered Tel'aran'rhiod in the flesh to get to Salidar, and then used that to discover travelling? Or I guess they are similar anyway?

She effectively made a traveling gateway, but didn't fully understand the process.  We see Graendal use it to enter and leave T'A'R frequently.  It is the same weave, just to a different plane.  Once you understand how traveling works, as in knowing your surroundings and not knowing your exact destination you can make it work.  Knowing your destination but not your surroundings, or neither, you can open a gateway to a skimming platform probably outside of the pattern if that is where the big dark space is that the Ways and Skimming uses.  Another similar gateway that is just different enough in a weave are Deathgates. 

• 1 year later...

She effectively made a traveling gateway, but didn't fully understand the process. We see Graendal use it to enter and leave T'A'R frequently. It is the same weave, just to a different plane. Once you understand how traveling works, as in knowing your surroundings and not knowing your exact destination you can make it work. Knowing your destination but not your surroundings, or neither, you can open a gateway to a skimming platform probably outside of the pattern if that is where the big dark space is that the Ways and Skimming uses. Another similar gateway that is just different enough in a weave are Deathgates.

Archived