DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Welcome Yates!

Niniel

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

oh if only base 12 was the standard... That'd be so much better than that stupid base 10

Spoken like a true woodworker/carpenter!

I don't know why there are 12" in a 1' but all the rest of the measurements are in 1/16"

You can for all you want. I like explaining people stuff, and I like it even more if it's math.

A bat and a ball cost a dollar and ten cents in total. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

You can for all you want. I like explaining people stuff, and I like it even more if it's math.

A bat and a ball cost a dollar and ten cents in total. The bat costs a dollar more than the ball. How much does the ball cost?

5 ct of course. That took me less than 2 seconds.

No it's not. Just look at it this way:

3 x 2 = 6

2 x 2 = 4

1 x 2 = 2

0 x 2 = 0

-1 x 2 = -2

-2 x 2 = -4

And:

2 x -2 = -4

1 x -2 = -2

0 x -2 = 0

-1 x -2 = 2

-2 x -2 = 4

Explain it this way and everybody understands it.

Nobody understands it because it's exactly the kind of illusory nonsense and wrongness that makes me call math evil.

If I have -2 apples : in other words I owe the universe 2 apples cause I have less than zero which means I'm in the red, and I've done something very stupid and multiplied my apple debt with a mathematical userer charging me -2 apples on top of my original Apple debts I have a debt of 4 apples now. That userer of the universe shouldn't just not only cancel the debt but give me 4 apples because some mathematician arbitrarily decided that two minuses multiplied make a plus. That userer should reflect the reality it attempts to codify and dun me for 4 apples. And -2 x -2 should = -4.

But reality can't be codified by digits, no matter how much people are brainwashed that there is some objective basis to mathematics.

It's a flawed symbolic system that breaks down and goes #FULLDARTHE imaginary at the least provocation and proselytizes the minds of those seeking a non existent order and perfection in a messy universe into believing it as gospel and selling it door to door.

Imo.

Cindy, you're forgetting that math is purely theoritical. It is only used to seek order when it is used in physics, chemistry or another science. And you can't use the apples example with negative numbers. If you want to go more exact than just whole positive numbers, you'll have to go into the abstract parts of maths.

3 x 2 = 6

2 x 2 = 4

1 x 2 = 2

0 x 2 = 0

-1 x 2 = -2

-2 x 2 = -4

And:

2 x -2 = -4

1 x -2 = -2

0 x -2 = 0

-1 x -2 = 2

-2 x -2 = 4

Not enough to convince my classmates.

3 x 2 = 6

2 x 2 = 4

1 x 2 = 2

0 x 2 = 0

-1 x 2 = -2

-2 x 2 = -4

And:

2 x -2 = -4

1 x -2 = -2

0 x -2 = 0

-1 x -2 = 2

-2 x -2 = 4

Not enough to convince my classmates.

If it's purely theoretical it's just another religion.

No no no, that's not true. Religion is based on belief, mathematics is based on facts (1 apple, 2 apples, 3 apples) that people started looking at in all kind of new ways ("hmm, what if I have not 3 apples and 2 apples, for five, but three groups of two appels, that'd be 6." At some point "hm, you can't divide 5 by 2, but what if you could? You'd get 2 and a half". And at some point, someone was like "If I can do 1, 2 or 3 times 2, why can't I do 0 times 2?" And again somewhat later "then I can also do -1 times", and on and on and on), but it's all based on facts and DEFINITE. In mathematics, disagreements don't exist. It simply IS this way, and no one can argue against that because of it's nature.

certainty.png

It is the way it is because of arbitrary rules, such as the multiply 2 negative numbers and get a positive one that you just attempted to demonstrate.

You take one half step down the math road and get to statistics and it's obvious to even the most casual observer that you've reached a place more evil than even darned lies.

Btw, a religion that no one argues against is the most evil of all.

This is why I rid myself of all worldly possessions and joined the Church of Madden. Except for my couch. And my large screen TV. And my chicken wings. And my beer. Because I need to make sacrifices to the NFL Gods every week.

It is the way it is because of arbitrary rules, such as the multiply 2 negative numbers and get a positive one that you just attempted to demonstrate.

You take one half step down the math road and get to statistics and it's obvious to even the most casual observer that you've reached a place more evil than even darned lies.

Actually, those "arbitrary rules" are derived from simple counting. As I just showed with 2 negative numbers getting a positive one. It's because of simple counting. 3 times 1 is 3, 2 times 1 is 2, 1 time 1 is 1, 0 times 1 is 0, -1 time 1 is -1, then you do it the other way around, so -1 time 1 because 1 time -1 is -1, 2 times -1 is -2, the other way around 0 times -1 is 0, -1 time -1 is therefore 1. That's where the rule comes from, not the other way around. It's also why EVERYONE ALWAYS agrees abouth maths: The rules are absolute, not arbitrary (aka created by someone).

Actually, those "arbitrary rules" are derived from simple counting. As I just showed with 2 negative numbers getting a positive one. It's because of simple counting. 3 times 1 is 3, 2 times 1 is 2, 1 time 1 is 1, 0 times 1 is 0, -1 time 1 is -1, then you do it the other way around, so -1 time 1 because 1 time -1 is -1, 2 times -1 is -2, the other way around 0 times -1 is 0, -1 time -1 is therefore 1. That's where the rule comes from, not the other way around. It's also why EVERYONE ALWAYS agrees abouth maths: The rules are absolute, not arbitrary (aka created by someone).

No, everyone does not always agree about math when it gets into irrational and imaginary areas.

Again, btw, and apropos of nothing in particular, the argument that EVERYONE AGREES AND IF YOU DON'T YOU'RE DUMB is specious and moreover insulting, and will only sway those of weak will, or those who fear social ostrization. And you'd have to be a heck of a charmer, or a natural manipulator, or a demagogue to make it work.

And it will never work with me.

There is no logic beyond arbitrary rule making that makes 2 minuses result in a positive when multiplied.

And worshipping math because you believe it "perfect" is the pinnacle of subjectivity, and reveals more about your own personality than it does about math.

*twaps Leyrann and reminds him that he has a girl's name*

:tongue:

This is why I rid myself of all worldly possessions and joined the Church of Madden. Except for my couch. And my large screen TV. And my chicken wings. And my beer. Because I need to make sacrifices to the NFL Gods every week.

Well we all need to believe in something.

I go with doctor who personally.

Though he'd argue for math.... He has the gravitas to make that work.

Archived