DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Welcome Yates!

Niniel

I think he needs all the taint he can get... He just produced math ITT!

That means he got a lot of it already!

All hail Math, our mighty, perfect overlord!

I hope you realize that Overlords, are evil?

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can I say that I haven't got sleep for over a month to explain that big blunder :blush:

A better story would be one involving you, curry that's a bit too spicy, and an emergency need to exit the thread while doing math. THAT, I think, any man would understand.

I think he needs all the taint he can get... He just produced math ITT!

That means he got a lot of it already!

All hail Math, our mighty, perfect overlord!

I hope you realize that Overlords, are evil?

They don't have to be.

one type

of evil

is in setting yourself up as an

overlord over other people.

unless you are God, the one with the big G, you have taken the first step on the road paved with good intentions.

Math's pretty absolute though.

No, that'd be physics giving you that feeling. Math is ONLY about the numbers, not about how those numbers are in real life. And those numbers, those numbers are by definition exact and always the same. Even using another base than 10 doesn't change anything about them.

(oh if only base 12 was the standard... That'd be so much better than that stupid base 10)

one type

of evil

is in setting yourself up as an

overlord over other people.

unless you are God, the one with the big G, you have taken the first step on the road paved with good intentions.

Math's pretty absolute though.

|math|

No, that'd be physics giving you that feeling. Math is ONLY about the numbers, not about how those numbers are in real life. And those numbers, those numbers are by definition exact and always the same. Even using another base than 10 doesn't change anything about them.

(oh if only base 12 was the standard... That'd be so much better than that stupid base 10)

Why would base 12 be better?

No, that'd be physics giving you that feeling. Math is ONLY about the numbers, not about how those numbers are in real life. And those numbers, those numbers are by definition exact and always the same. Even using another base than 10 doesn't change anything about them.

(oh if only base 12 was the standard... That'd be so much better than that stupid base 10)

Why would base 12 be better?

Because 12 can be divided by 2, 3, 4, and 6, while 10 can only be divided by 2 and 5. That means that more fractions will be nonrepetetive, the multiplications of numbers (most notably 3, 4, 8 and 9) will end with a 0 more often, etc. And you can count with it too, you know. Every finger has 3 parts, and you can count to 12 on one hand by putting your thumb on those parts, as opposed to holding fingers up in the air. Bonus: You only need one hand, so you can actually talk to 156 (12*12 plus the 12 that you can count after that on one hand, which is 110 in the base 12 system) on your fingers, without calculations (that is, if you use a base 12 system. In a base 10 system you'll have to calculate how many times 12 something is (then again, you can just learn the table of 12 by heart)).

This from the child that once argued for the merits of switching to the metric system...

Math. Trickery and evil.

Yup.

Hey, if I had my way, the metric system would become base 12 too. Don't forget that, when using it, you need two extra numbers and what we call 10 would be one number, whereas what we call 12 would be written as 10 in base 12. So if you have base 12, then the metric system has 144 centimeter in a meter, but we call it 100 anyways. Which then means, I guess, a centimeter gets shorter and a kilometer gets longer (1728 meter, which is even slightly longer than a mile), but as compensation all future generations have a much better system.

Did you know the Elves in Lord of the Rings use base 12 too?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duodecimal

Archived