DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Welcome Yates!

Niniel

Care to delve deeply into my Taint, Yates?

That stout sounds amazing. I've been looking to get into the darker, maltier stuff as of late. Got any suggestions?

ANY suggestions?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Dude, you live in San Diego?  You should have access to lots of great stuff.  A nice start would be Old Rasputin brewed in Ft Bragg.  I realize that's like a 10 hour drive but the point is that they should be available in State.  Also, Speedway Stout from AleSmith.  Really, just about ANYTHING from AleSmith and they brew in SD.  Find either of those in a barrel aged variety.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

*Yates slowly emerges from his beer cellar carrying a pitch black bottle with a blood red wax sealed cap and a light coating of dust indicating it has been down there for some time. The care with which he sets the bottle down on the walnut trimmed turquoise counter top and wipes the dust away as if caressing an old lover evokes an immediate understanding that this is a *special* bottle. With one twist of his wrist the wax seal has been expertly removed and in what appears to be a precision choreographed routine the cap is wiped clean with one hand while a metal opener appears in his other and a flick of his thumb elicits an effervescent hiss of carbonation as the contents mingles with air for the first time in who knows how long. He pulls two crystal clear 7 ounce snifter glasses from seemingly out of nowhere and begins to pour the first glass. A pitch black cola colored beverage pools into the snifter slowly filling with a combination of the black liquid and a dark tan froth that forms from within the carbonated delight. He fills until the glass is 2/3 full and allows a frothy tan head to form and creep towards the lip of the glass. This procedure is completed a second time. The first glass, as is customary, is offered to you, his guest.

This is a 2007 Goose Island Bourbon County Stout. There may be a dozen bottles of this left in the world. I have two remaining.

*He holds his glass up to yours and touches snifters before taking a moment to inhale the sweet malty slightly bourbon scented beer with subtle notes of vanilla and oak. You take your first sip and allow the beer to fill your mouth and bathe your tongue in a viscous cacophony of rich complex flavors. Yes. This is the beer you had hoped it would be. A beer by which all others will be judged and fall short. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity. You try desperately to remember everything about the experience before sucking down the last drops from the glass.

*Yates smirks with a knowing look.

Don't worry, friend. Have I ever told you about this Belgian beer I have been ageing? Might be 6 bottles left in the world...

Turin was grumpy from having to work last minute on star wars day. He returns to the tower to see a newcomer with two now empty fancy glasses and a satisfied look on his face. Turin is no mood to see others happy...

He draws on saidin and weaves balefire. The stream is about a foot wide and the glasses disappear. Suddenly there is a large brown puddle on the table, dripping onto the floor.

Turin couldn't help but smile...

You still got to enjoy the drink but now no calories :smile:

I'm just being silly. Welcome again Yates.

Care to delve deeply into my Taint, Yates?

That stout sounds amazing. I've been looking to get into the darker, maltier stuff as of late. Got any suggestions?

ANY suggestions? HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

Dude, you live in San Diego? You should have access to lots of great stuff. A nice start would be Old Rasputin brewed in Ft Bragg. I realize that's like a 10 hour drive but the point is that they should be available in State. Also, Speedway Stout from AleSmith. Really, just about ANYTHING from AleSmith and they brew in SD. Find either of those in a barrel aged variety.

Trust me, I've tried a bunch of great craft beers that are brewed locally here. I've been on an IPA kick but I want to dabble some in the darker stuff. Hence asking for suggestions :smile:

Confirmed joiner.

What's a "book?"

*happens to drop AMoL on Yates´ head*

That is a book! 

Ow! That's just mean. I mean, I'm not dropping a tree on your head either, am I?

No, you are not.  :baalzamon:

Confirmed joiner.

What's a "book?"

*happens to drop AMoL on Yates´ head*

That is a book! 

Ow! That's just mean. I mean, I'm not dropping a tree on your head either, am I?

No, you are not.  :baalzamon:

Now that I'm thinking about it, though... Maybe I could...

Alternatively, we could do a OP battle with me using my wolf angreal and you no angreal. I'd be stronger in Fire and Earth, you'd be stronger in Water and Air and we'd be virtually even in Spirit. And we're both Storm Leader, so that evens out.

In honor of my buddy AJ, I had a 2012 North Coast Brewing Company Grand Cru. An American Strong Ale brewed with agave nectar and aged in oak barrels.

jOjdawnl.jpg

Hazy golden amber color. Minimal white head. Some loose dots of lace. Lots of fine particles in the body. Medium body. Lighter kind of crisp carbonation. Lightly slick. some rich lighter caramel malt aroma, light wood, lighter vanilla oak notes. Moderate sweet taste. Alcohol is well hidden with age. Mildly tropical fruity agave notes are *just* noticeable, and work great with the woody oak barrel. Pleasant, balanced fruitiness comes out more and more as it warms.

Also, there is an easter egg in that picture for anyone that remembers my old Halloween avatar. Totally unintended but captured in the reflection from off my glass!

Archived