DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
chongjasmine

Least favorite character?

I really, really don't like Elayne. She always annoyed me. I also seem to be the only person who doesn't like Min. Her role is basically "useless clingy love interest who occasionally uses foreshadowing in attempt to be useful."

I really, really don't like Elayne. She always annoyed me. I also seem to be the only person who doesn't like Min. Her role is basically "useless clingy love interest who occasionally uses foreshadowing in attempt to be useful."

No, you ain't the only one. Those are very near my exact thoughts on her also.

Similar thoughts on Elayne too. I thought she was OK, up until she returns to Andorn. But then it's pretty much BLAH for me after that. I never really got into actually hating any of the characters in the series, but Elayne comes close. Specially, after little miss hypocrite goes way overboard on threatening to have Perrin/Faile executed, when clearly their situation was absolutely unavoidable due to the Pattern's weaving of their threads in it. I understand her being a bit miffed, but I feel that BS should have toned her down a bit there. Her vision of current events just seems waaay out of wack this late in the story.

But I suppose Faille would be my least favorite, although I never warmed to Avienda  (I know, a minority view).  Faille was a character that was actaully improved by Brandon S. draining some of the personality out of her.

Funny, I find Faile's character was worsened by Brandon for the exact same reason that you stated; she is too watered down in the last three books; exception being her taking out Masema of course. But I have a feeling that that part was created by RJ anyway.

In the end, I feel that Perrin's exotic wife perfectly matches up to the gang's discovery of this whole exotic world that they discover when they left Two Rivers back in book one(specially since Perrin is the most average Joe in the group). I feel that RJ did a marvelous job with her in the series....with the one exception of her and Perrin's plot at the end of LoC.

A perfect character for such a strange, and alien, fantasy world.

Edited by Cosmic Champion

I would have to split it between groups of people to say which is my least favorite, but by Far Faile is my least favorite overall. She was always playing this game with Perrin's head. She played more mind games than anyone in the entire series and how many times did she get jealous because a girl simply looked at Perrin the wrong way. Controlling and egotistical, she was worse than some of the forsaken as far as being a terrible person.

The forsaken are another point of contention all together. I mean how terrible at everything did the forsaken have to be? I have already stated my outrage about how Aginor was written(THE person who created the shadowspawn should have been smart enough to outwit most people, especially the younger ones). But aside from that, most of them were pointless, Baal?? like who was he? Sammael made a bigger entrance but only barely.

Shara was such a secret place, Robert Jordan didn't even know anything about it.

This is the last I'll say about Egwene but another reason not to like her is Rand doesn't want go back to TR because he'll endanger them. Egwene never goes back because she's afraid of what people will think. Rand and Tam have a reunion onscreen and Rand couldn't kill his father which precipitates Veins of Gold. Not only does Egwene not have a reunion onscreen, but I have no doubt she would kill her father, mother and AWOL sisters if it proved necessary.

I would have to split it between groups of people to say which is my least favorite, but by Far Faile is my least favorite overall. She was always playing this game with Perrin's head. She played more mind games than anyone in the entire series and how many times did she get jealous because a girl simply looked at Perrin the wrong way. Controlling and egotistical, she was worse than some of the forsaken as far as being a terrible person.

Well, regarding looking, I really can't think of any offhand; in LoC with Min, it was because her husband was hugging a strange woman wearing tight breeches over her shapely legs; with the Tuatha'an girls, it was because she didn't want them to hug him. :laugh:

But anyway, something just now occurred to me regarding jealousy in their relationship, which is, I believe that Perrin might have more instances of it than her. And maybe more childish too. Two interesting examples come to mind:

In tSR when the Tuatha'an guys were hugging Faile goodbye, he was wishing internal injuries on her-  "The men did not content themselves with shaking Faile’s hand, but hugged her. Perrin kept his face smooth when some of the younger men became overly enthusiastic, only grinding his teeth a little; he managed to smile. No woman much younger than Ila hugged him. Somehow, even while Faile was letting some skinny, gaudy-coated Tinker fold his arms around her and try to squeeze her flat, she stood guard on him like a mastiff. Women without gray in their hair took one look at her face and chose someone else. Meanwhile Wil appeared to be kissing every woman in the camp. So was Ban, and his nose. Even Ihvon was enjoying himself, for that matter. It would serve Faile right if one of those fellows cracked a rib for her."  :laugh:   That makes her hypocritical, I guess. However, much more importantly, it shows RJ's marvelous sense of humor here, along with his great writing.

The second example was from LOC when Faile was hugging her dad-  "Perrin felt a sudden stab of disgruntlement; a father did not deserve all that when there was a husband standing right there with only one brief smile to sustain him."   :laugh:

I recall her torturing only 1 Warder.  Lord of Chaos chapter 5.

do not recall any others.

Gathering Storm?  that seemed to be Shaidar Haran and Elza; no one else.

also, Semirhage was broken; it would be difficult for a broken person to scare anyone.

and Semirhage's threats seemed to not scare her captors.

and she was shielded.

This is the last I'll say about Egwene but another reason not to like her is Rand doesn't want go back to TR because he'll endanger them. Egwene never goes back because she's afraid of what people will think. Rand and Tam have a reunion onscreen and Rand couldn't kill his father which precipitates Veins of Gold. Not only does Egwene not have a reunion onscreen, but I have no doubt she would kill her father, mother and AWOL sisters if it proved necessary.

She would be afraid of what people will think, because they won't understand. They weren't there, and their perspective of worldly things is very small. It shows how much she cares about that them that she can't face their fear, scorn, or disappointment, even if she knows those feelings would be based on ignorance.

"If it proved necessary"? As in to save the world? Then yes I completely agree with that, she probably could and would. That's what makes her bad ass.

not sure about the world being more important to Egwene than her family.

and not sure when their deaths would be necessary in her eyes.

Egwene to me seems to be law-abiding.  only time Egwene would kill them (or order their deaths) would be when all laws tell they should die.

Egwene is an end justifies means person; example she could've very easily killed Nyneave in TAR because was hiding from the WO and thought it would be fun to bully Nyneave. My biggest complaint is she died never having been humbled like all the other major characters. I'm guessing RJ and BS were biased otherwise Nyneave would've taken her to task.

Yeah not so sure about sshe would kill her whole famly if she felt it was  necessary bit.  Really not sur what you are saying, why would she of killed Nyn, I don't remember reading anything where she even consdiered killing Nyn in order to protect her secrets.  I don't like Egwene, she feels she knows better then anyone else and can't be wrong.  Egwene couldn't bring herself to torture the BA in Tear, so don't see her killing her family.

Egwene couldn't bring herself to kill off Nicola and Ariena to prevent them from revealing she posed as Aes Sedai, which would have ruined her chances of every truly becoming Amyrlin among the Rebels. And this is the woman we are saying would kill her parents?? 

Egwene couldn't bring herself to kill off Nicola and Ariena to prevent them from revealing she posed as Aes Sedai, which would have ruined her chances of every truly becoming Amyrlin among the Rebels. And this is the woman we are saying would kill her parents?? 

actually it was Nynaeve and Elayne; not Egwene.  It seems Nicola & Areina never found out about Egwene's posing.

So far (im only up to the end of the third book), its gotta be Min.

could you elaborate?

not sure about Elaida having followers; most (if not all) of those who stayed at the White Tower seemed hesitant about following her.