DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
chongjasmine

Least favorite character?

Egwene was a waste of time for me.  My favorite part for her storyline was when she died at the end.  I actually liked Elaida's character better than Egwene's.   I also wasn't a big fan of Faile, but she did have her moments that made me like her more than Egwene.  Elayne redeemed herself in my eyes during the Last Battle. 

Gawyn. He will kill anybody for his ideals, but his ideals are based in his selfishness.

sorry Gawyn...

This. Completely worthless guy.

Gawyn. He will kill anybody for his ideals, but his ideals are based in his selfishness.

sorry Gawyn...

This. Completely worthless guy.

Yeah, he's not really a character, though.  More like an accessory.  

Yea, might as well throw me in into the Gawyn camp too.  Such a one dimensional plot device.

As for all the other characters, I don't hate or dislike any of them.

A tie between egwene and gawyn.  The reason I dislike Egwene can be summed up from Rand's POV as they are leaving Tear for the waste.  It went something like "it was just like Egwene to take your view and turn It against you to make it seem like you were in the wrong.  Egwene was saying it was wrong to let the aiel take so much stuff, Rand pointed out he saw Avi doing it, then Egwene flip flopped and lectured Rand on how peoples customs were different and wasn't right to judge them.  During the whole series Egwene stayed the I know it all, I am always right, I need to do this myself type, and never seemed to grow imo.  I might dislike Gawyn but I also felt Egwene treated him like crap.

Gawyn was just the sulky, selfish, really no point to him type.  I can understand his I am a prince its not right Rand a sheep herder and is the one to rock the world outlook.  But the whole he killed my mom regardless of how many times people said he didn't thing was annoying.  That whole riding off to kill Dem so he can be a hero and not caring what his actions might do to Egwene till he was laying there bleeding out.

egwene.she infuriated me on dozen occasions,but her behavior toward

nynaeve during the white tower testing was despicable.

@sabio,

ironically,tigraine mantear was rand's mother,so our sheepherder has royal blood 

coursing through his veins.

I've not gotten very far yet, but I feel like Egwene is not going anywhere interesting, which is a shame. Gawyn I don't mind yet, but we'll see.

@chongjasmine

I like Egwene too, and i don't understand why there are so many people who hate her. She is my third favourite character after Rand and Mat

I never hated Egwene. I didn't really like her a whole lot in the early books but when she became the Amyrlin I started liking her more simply because she was always scheming against the other Aes Sedai who I liked even less than her. Then in The Gathering Storm, she was awesome. 

Never had a problem with egwene. Gawyn was annoying though.

I also think the scenes between them where painfull. It was like some pages from mills and boon broke into a WOT book.

I have liked most of the Light-sided characters.

the Shadow I for the most part disliked.

If I can only pick one - has to be Egwene. Very close behind her are Gawyn, Fail and Perrin. My biggest regret with the conclusion was that Fail and Perrin didn't bite it, too.

Not sure where the dislike for Egwene comes from, she is one of my favorite characters. She get a bit annoying during the salidar times bossing Matt about but that's it really.

As far as least favorite: has to be Gawyn, he's a pure idiot with a hot-head that got him (and egwene I guess) killed.

The Mat in Salidar is one of the example why most dislike Egwene.  Here a friend offers to help her and instead she bullies and intimidates him to get him to do what she wants.  Instead of simply asking. She was the I know best, do what I say, I am always right throughout the entire series.

Masema. I get the value of having a character be the zealous prophet of the Dragon, but every moment he was in the scene I was looking forward to him no longer being in the scene. Nothing interesting about the character, just entirely there to wreck some people's days, and not even particularly effectively. He didn't even accomplish anything so to speak. His entire story was told far more interestingly in Aram, who converted, then fell on losing faith.

Mat. Ham-fistedly written by both authors. Then Nynaeve for the same reason, but Jordan's version of her was worse.

sorry Gawyn...

Don't be sorry if its true.  I can say on his behalf that he knew that he was dying and thought that he had the best chance of anyone, which in my opinion he did, of killing Demandred.  If the guy can't hit him with weaves because he is just so fast, how did the guy duel him and win?  And hit Gawyn with rocks when his and the other channeler weaves missed?  I think that it would have been mentioned if several rocks at once were launched which would have increased his chances of hitting him, but it was always "a rock" or "another" coming at him or hitting him.  Come on...but Lan was one with the blade just as Demandred was and deserved that win.  

It would really have been nice to see something of Demandred in the books aside from some cryptic statements of his rule being secure.  Suddenly he's this super un-defeatable Blademaster, the best General the Shadow ever had, with the next most powerful sa'angreal ever made to Calandor he only once in weeks of fighting tires of weilding, with channelers battle trained when they had all kept tight in their own villages, it felt like too much a reach for me.  Fans called it before AMOL came out that if Dem was in Shara without ever being introduced to it, it wouldn't work out.  

I won't surprise anyone with saying Egwene. I hate bootlickers and her behaviour in the first books is exactly this: she fawns over stronger people than her - be it with mimicking Nynaeve's behaviour, then when Moiraine appears she addopts her style and behaviour, be it her being almost servile to every Aes Sedai she meets, be it with diong the same with WO. After becoming Amirlyn things change for better for a while  but then comes all Gawyn crap and the fact Brandon Sanderson writes her character as superheroine and super hypocrate - insisting Nynaeve to call her Mother even in private (after Egwene herself asked her NOT to do it right after she was chosen for Amirlyn) and Nyn and Elayne taking the test without bothering to take it herself; putting WT interests ahead everything else... The list can go on and my English is not that good for writing everything I dislike in this character. 

Then comes Elayne but that's mainly due her being one of Rand's harem. It just looks like her character was designed with the only purpouse to be one of DR's trio. The same can be told for Gawyn - for me the only reason he exists is Egwne needed to have relationship with someone.

Edited by Herbs

It is hard to judge because the main characters either change or are presented differently in the early, middle, and latter parts of the series.

Take Nyneve.  In the original three books and the and the later part of the series she is one of the best characters in the series.  In between however Nyneve is dialed up to 11 for several reasons including comic relief.  As a result, she is absolutely insufferable.  It seems scarcely a negative review, on Amazon, doesn't mentioned her incessant braid-pulling, sniffing and tantrums.

But I suppose Faille would be my least favorite, although I never warmed to Avienda  (I know, a minority view).  Faille was a character that was actaully improved by Brandon S. draining some of the personality out of her.

My least favorite lady is Egwene for most of the reasons mentioned, but in addition it's her flip flop on the oaths, especially when she knows its killing some centuries ahead of time. For the guys it's a toss up between Gawyn and Perrin. As first Prince and all the training, Gawyn should have acted better. Before and after Shadow Rising perrin was an idiot. Then he gets a cool war hammer, has one battle and then is sight unseen the last book.

One question I have, does anyone know were the sharan events in AMOL the original plan, or when RJ got lost on the faile rescue did that get screwed up.