DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

People of the Dragon

lastwanderer

I don't know if this has been posted or not, but in tEotW when Perrin, Egwene, and Elyas are in the Traveling Peoples' camp Raen tells them about the dying Aiel maiden and the Eye of the World he says: "Leafblighter means to blind the Eye of the World, Lost One. He means to slay the Great Serpant. Warn the People, Lost One. Sightburner comes."

Here RJ first tells us the Aiel are the People of the Dragon. At first I thought it meant nothing, but because People is capitalized it is short for People of Dragon.

I'd like to know what you guys (or gals) think this right.

Guest cwestervelt

Well, she wouldn't have been coming from Rhuidean alone. I thought they specifically said she was coming from the Blight too.

Rhuarc says the name "People of the Dragon" is only spoken among the Clan Chiefs and Wise Ones. He doesn't really say it is only known to the Clan Chiefs and Wise Ones. It is possible that other Aiel know the name but consider it a taboo. Hard to say really.

Many tribes refer to themselves as 'The People'. This is especially prevalent in the various languages of the American Indian Natives. One of my favorite stories tells of the Comanche referring to themselves as the people and another tribe referring to them as the 'enemy people'.

anyhow it is nothing more than RJ adding in the natural tendency of some groups eliteism.

Guest Barmacral

Its very possible that she somehow got this message from somewhere else (the creater maybe?) or simply that All the Aiel know the name the People of the Dragon, and that it is not mentioned among them for some sort of forbidden reason that the Aiel only know of and RJ hasn't mentioned.

Hmmm.. just thinking here, probably miles off but, could it be possible that the Tinkers have retained their knowledge of their history (and that of the aiel)? That only the aiel have forgotten it (apart from those who go to Rhuidian)? thus the Tinkers know the Aiel to be the People of the Dragon?

Hmmm.. just thinking here' date=' probably miles off but, could it be possible that the Tinkers have retained their knowledge of their history (and that of the aiel)? That only the aiel have forgotten it (apart from those who go to Rhuidian)? thus the Tinkers know the Aiel to be the People of the Dragon?[/quote']

Most likely not. But she told the tinkers because they were the only ones she could reach so I am almost positive that she was talking about the Aiel.

Archived