DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[GAME] WT & Warders Reunion: Tug o' War WOT-themed - Game Thread

Mystica

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

anyone that has been assigned to one of the teams can answer any question at any time (except if I give someone first dibs because they got part of the answer right)

The Kin’s Means of Communication

Communication is essential among the Kin. They are being led from the farm at Ebou Dar, which means that most of their communication originates from that location. Pigeons are sent to the thirteen main farms, and from there on pigeons are sent to the other circles.

The communication system of the Kin is called The Thread. People involved in the communication are called the pieces of the thread.

The system is about as elaborate as the Eyes and Ears system the White Tower has, even if is not used for the same purpose. None of the farms the Kin use are closer than a days ride from main roads and towns Aes Sedai might visit. There are people loyal to the Kin living in those locations though, sending warnings to the farms when Aes Sedai come close, or when a reject or runaway from the White Tower comes their way.

The coded messages often have something to do with either knitting and threads, or birds.

No member of the Kin travels a main road without first consulting the Thread to see if the road is clear from all danger.

This is from my research back when I became the Group Leader of the Freelanders over at the RP side. Weirdly I can't find any information on the Thread online so if need be I'm willing to redo my research and go over the books to give you references to it that way.

21. Explain the Long Excile and the Longing

I expect more than a one-sentence answer. What is it, where does it come from or how did it begin, what does it do and what is the result. Again, explain it as though to someone that hasn't read WOT.

The Long Exile refers to the period during the Breaking of the World (the series of cataclysmic events at the end of the war) in which the race called the Ogier couldn't find the Stedding. The Stedding were areas of the world which were 'protected' somehow, so their couldn't be any Channeling (magic use) inside them. They were also places with a great sense of peace and calm, and were the only places the Ogier lived. During the Breaking the world changed phsyically - mountains, oceans, the whole lot, so the Ogier couldn't find them anymore. They didn't eventually (and we are talking years later) find the Stedding and live their again.

However, at the end of the Long Exile the Ogier began to feel a 'longing' to be back in the Stedding. Ogier had not felt like this before the Long Exile and could spend however long they want outside of the Stedding, but now their time is limited. If they are out of the Stedding for more than a couple of years maximum (I think) they will be affected by The Longing - a real need to be back in the Stedding. This is more than just homesickness at it can have physical and long lasting affects if the Ogier is gone to long. I think the Ogier who had been affected by The Longing are described as shadows of their former selves, or similar, but can't remember exactly. 

ok, thanks to the last part I'll count it as right :)

all the answers:

1. It provides Healing to Ogiers who have been outside for too long and when returning to the Stedding the place reverses the effects that lead to the Longing.

2. Channeling is impossible in a Stedding, one can not even sense the Source there.

3. Steddings have a special ability to make people feel at peace with themselves and everything around them.

4. The Aiel have agreed to extend the Peace of Rhuidean to the Steddings as part of a trade agreement where they come to buy things made by the Ogier, such as bowls and other woodbased items.

5. Those truly dedicated to the Shadow (like Trollocs) will not enter a Stedding unless severely pushed by their masters. The place physically hurts them and scares them.

Damane are born with the ability to channel or by mainlanders a Wilder. Sul'Dam are those who can be taught to touch the source. In their roles in Seanchan society damane are leashed channelers. Pets. Weapons. Property. Sul'Dam are the leash holders. Those who train and command damane. 

Archived