DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Anime Question: Experts Needed!!!

the dude

Hey there,

I'm trying to hook myself up with some serious brownie points here. If anyone can help with this, I will be in their debt.

My wife's got a recent obsession with the "Vision of Escaflowne" series. She's literally been watching it from the time the kid goes to sleep to the time we go to sleep. I'm not sure how many times she's watched the series through in the last 2 weeks.

Anyway, she heard last night that there's an extended version with added scenes in the first few episodes. I've been scouring the net trying to find that version on DVD, but I haven't found a description for purchase that explicitly says they have the extra scenes. These are the 2 I'm looking at:

http://www.bandai-ent.com/products/product_details.cfm?id=62

That one's the more expensive of the 2, but I think it's because you get some action figure with it. The aciton figure doesn't interest me in the least (I don't think it'll interest her either), but if it has the extended scenes, I'll go for it anyway.

http://www.bandai-ent.com/products/product_details.cfm?id=414

This one's like a hundred bucks cheaper. I'd just as soon get this one if it has the extended versions.

My question is, does anyone know for certain if either of these is what I'm looking for, and if not, perhaps I could be directed to the one I want? This will have me hip-deep in brownie points and the kinds of rewards that I can't describe on a PG-13 site ( :twisted: ). Anyone who can help will be rewarded with, um, well, I'll be totally grateful, that's for sure. Rewarded with the dude's gratitude. C'mon, you know you want some shiny new gratitude. 8)

That is one of my favorite animes. Although I prefer it in japanese or german, there it sounds very mature, serious and has a more tragic note. You would be surprised what a little editting a different choice in translated words can do to a show. The english dubbed version was cut to go with the Dragonball wave, of 12 year old fans. I believe there are two english versions though, the kiddie "foxkids" version and a more accurate direct translation from the original with less battlescenes cut out and a bit more adult language and blood.

• 1 month later...

Escaflowne's a big favourite of mine - as is most fantasy anime. I much prefer the dvd version, though, as it's uncut in both language and content. I hate it when anime is edited to make it "kiddy friendly." Oh, and I'd definitely take subs over dub any day!

Oh, I'll freely admit that there are good dubs out there. I'm rather fond of the Cowboy Bebop dub myself. The only reason I prefer subs to dub is because I like to watch anime in it's original language. Guess I'm just an odd one.

not really. i think the majority of hardcore anime fans prefer subtitles. i'm not part of that majority, though i'm also not a dedicated anime fan either. i like one or 2 here and there, but i'm prob'ly a bigger fan of american cartoon series', like, say the '90's spiderman cartoon.

hey, while i've got you here, any chance you know which of the 2 above links has extended scenes in it? mucho appreciated. o. 8)

Hmm, I'm not sure. Neither of these (as far as I'm aware) have been released like this in the UK, but if they're both complete series boxsets, then I'd see which one has the longest running time, not including extras. That might help. Sorry I can't be of more help.

it's cool. thanks for checking it out. i appreciate it.

running time was my first hunch too, but then i started seeing "interview this" and "preview that" stuff... i wonder if the running time includes those or not.

i'll have to check it out some more. i'm mostly asking here on the long shot that someone recognizes one of these versions. and it's not like the extended scenes sound like there's much in them. but i do like to please the wife...

Archived