DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

What made you join DM / the White Tower & Warders?

Elgee

Most people seem to have joined DM, and thereafter the White Tower & Warders, after having read most or all the books that were published at that time.

Some joined after having read quite a few books, but not all available.

A small group joined after reading only 1 or 2 books, and amazingly 1 or 2 who hadn't read the books at all!

So I have a few questions :)

1) How far (if at all) had you read into the books by the time you joined DM, and then the White Tower / Warders?

2) What drew you to joining Dragonmount?

3) What drew you to joining the White Tower & Warders?

Ma is curious.

So I have a few questions :)

1) How far (if at all) had you read into the books by the time you joined DM, and then the White Tower / Warders?

I read the first 4-5 I think. I am not sure really how I found DM but I did and I signed up. I remember also finding TV.net but I never really found myself going back there 

I had recruited(blackmailed/pestered/extorted) a bunch of my friends into reading the series as well and we talked theory A LOT. Then, my friends broke free fo my tyranny and i was a man reading alone but still wanted to talk theories.

I was an incredibly introverted person and lurked for.........a few years actually, before I finally signed up. I've never been on a forum or anything. Wasn't sure how to act and just felt over all........dumb. Iol. I have a problem with posts where I: typing, reading, re-typing, re-reading, re-typing, re-reading, re-typing, re-reading, . . . . delete delete delete. . . next topic. I Still do. I have a difficult time articulating my thoughts to where i am comfortable with them and most times just....don't post. That's how I am NOW! Back then, a thousand times a thousand times worse. When I finally joined DM I think I made the biggest mistake of my DM life and tried to dive feet first into the Debates & Discussions threads. People there were so AGGRESSIVE. (think that has something to do with posting issues, lol). I......FLED. lol 'These people are nuts!'. I stopped comin to DM all together for a few years. 

After a couple years I did end up coming back. I was in the Emo-Perrin lul and was losing patience terribly. Wanted to know what the hell was going on! Ended up coming back to DM. Avoided the D&D like the plague, lol, and found Fiddles. Yeeeaaahhhhh, that was the good crazy place to be. If I'd have found Fiddlesticks first I'd have never left. That place was great. I started tossin in a random post here, waited to see what happened, random post here, THEY LAUGHED!, another random post . . . . and so on. It was when I started to get to know Ed, Limi, Charis (Jr), Adella, and there was another, I can recall her RL name but her handle??? lol Anyway, they lead me to the WT. The rest is a wrap. It was obvious from the start I had no intention of goin anywhere else. I was...........comfortable. Awkward as all hell still! lol but i was comfortable. That is a foreign sensation to me even in RL. To just feel............ahhhhh, I can lean back on my knife here. Why I keep comin back.

Ma is curious.

At that time tGS was released and I had read all except tGS.

Search for tGS spoilers. I have managed to control hunting for spoilers since then.

Aes Sedai are cool...and WT looked interesting...and it was the only SG I could find which did not require me to post (instead I had to fill out a form). I had not even figured out how to post when I joined WT. I was a wee little kid (still am)

Book 2, still reading it in fact.

I got Tress interested in reading it. She flew the series and found DM. After watching her play mafia for awhile I was intrigued and started there. Then I joined Wolfkin, then BT and finally WT/W.

I was drawn to and love the Aes Sedai.

I read up to book 11!

It seemed interesting, and just kept growing on me.

morraine and lan were my favorite characters for the longest time!

I'd just read The Towers of Midnight.

I wanted to know when the last book would be out so Googled and found DM. Then I found the forums and thought it would be nice to talk to other people who actually read books for enjoyment.

If I remember correctly I was directed to post a thread introducing myself in the WT by Ffnorrll. I was in the introduce me board. I think Elgee was there too. She was upside down. It was all very weird and funny and compelling. It was nice to have a conversation where I was just me. So I did and it all went mostly well ... mostly.

Think only about 2/3 books when I found DM and immediately posted here.

Obsessed with books, googled the wheel of time, found the site, joined.

Just somehow always knew I wanted to be a warder around here. Lan and Moiraine are easily the coolest characters in the early books, easily, and somehow quintessentially fantasy fiction without being re hashed.

Think only about 2/3 books when I found DM and immediately posted here.

Obsessed with books, googled the wheel of time, found the site, joined.

Just somehow always knew I wanted to be a warder around here.Lan and Moiraine are easily the coolest characters in the early books, easily, and somehow quintessentially fantasy fiction without being re hashed.

So true!

1.) I stopped reading around #7. I think Jordan was in his political slump at the time.

2.) Uh. I came back.

3.) I was slumming around the general boards and was entirely disappointed by them, so I gave the WT a shot. I think I hung out for a few months before Mother asked me to join. I was actually very shy and reluctant about the whole thing and was almost ready to disappear again.

Why did I choose the Novice path? Dunno. Felt right. I'm physically active but I'm a smushy scholar at heart. Tis the way tis.

1) I joined DM when I was reading book 3 but I didn join any SG's until 7 months later when I read up to book 12 as ToM wasn't out yet. I didn't join anything right away because I didn't want to spoil anything that would happen and I forgot I had joined. After reading all the books that were out, I joined most of the SG's.

2) I knew my mom had been on here when DM first started up, however you can't find her anymore on here.

3) I loved the Warders and Aes Sedai in the books and when I first joined I wanted to be a Warder. After some time as an Aspie though I felt I had more in common with the Aes Sedai so I switched over. However, I still wanted to be a warrior of a kind and that's why I joined the Green Ajah :smile:

I had JUST finished aMoL when I joined. Like, three days prior, and I was so upset that the series had ended I needed to continue it somehow (a symptom of obsession, probably).

A lot of my friends are obsessed with the normal young adult things, yammering on about Doctor Who and Supernatural which are fantastic, but not something I could devote my existence to. I wanted a "fandom" to be a part of. I had never spent so many months thinking about one story. No TV show or book could compare! I lurked for a few days, reading the rules and some posts and being like THEY ARE IN ORGANIZED WOT GROUPS! I needed it in my life. I also very much needed more of a social life.

Of course, now that I have joined, I see it's about more than just the books, it's a big family! Now that I think back, my reason for joining was a little silly as I got more than I bargained for. I mean, who gets online and thinks, "I'm gonna to go fetch me a place to belong."

In the end of the books, the Aes Sedai and Warders were the best parts. Their part in the ending was inspiring and beautiful to me.

I should also mention I haven't finished AMoL because I'm in denial. I do know some things as when I stopped reading it, I was right in the middle but I don't want to finish it as I know I'll cry a lot

I can tell you with confidence that this series only improves with multiple readings. The arcs that were 'meh' the first time get better, the favorite arcs only improve and the connection to the many characters just grows.

I know many people who, for whatever reason, think that any story (book, video, movie) should only be experienced once. As though that one exposure should be enough, nothing more to see here, move on. There are lots of fluff stories that fit this bill. The great stories only get better with more experience. Finish the book! You will cry! You will laugh through tears! You will celebrate heroes and wish you were one! It's a great epic and, a few days after finishing it, you'll start thinking about starting from the beginning again.

Your mileage may vary.

i dont remember

i was bored of youtube and i remembered being on the site years prior before i left so i decided to peek in

i don't remember other than it was the most active group and based on one of the more intersting aspects of the books

guess thats not very interesting but spotty memory does that

1.  I had finished all the books that were available at the time.

2.  I loved the WoT world and this was as close as it was gonna get.

3.  I wanted to become an Aes Sedai.  The Tower was the most fascinating "group aspect" of the books.

4th book.. I'm currently rereading though, because it has been a while since I made it there. Hoping to read the rest this summer when I have time off from work. 

It was more a coincidence than anything. I had started a reread of the books in January, and then I saw the teaser or whatever I should call it. I then went looking online for people to discuss it with, and someone on facebook mentioned this place. That's the gist of it. 

Who doesn't want to be an Aes Sedai?

It was that idea that drove me to start with. 

1) How far (if at all) had you read into the books by the time you joined DM,

I'd read them all up to the point I'd joined, and read them as they came out until the last three slowed me down

and then the White Tower / Warders?

read them all that were out till the last three, put those off longer and longer

I came to DM around 2006 looking for answers to the slowdown in writing but I only posted on the blog and the podcast discussions.

I joined the day after that update made joining a requirement to post

I was hanging around the moat a lot and posting in some events and I figured I ought to just join

I was waiting for the last book I think.

I used to read a lot on Wotmania: mostly their theory section. I wanted somewhere new where I could finally actually talk with someone else who had read the books!

wiz_c016.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Mmmmmm...!

I've recently started book 7 ( :biggrin:) and I looove it!

I reaaallly wanted to share my thoughts and opinions with some people who knew what I was talking about. ... I miiight have been making references that no one understood. Played around on Instagram, gave up, played around on Twitter (which I rarely do - I really wanted co-readers), and saw a reference to DM!

I thought it sounded interesting  :aessedai:  :smile:

Archived