DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brandon Sanderson Wheel of Time Annotations?

Paul H

Back when Brandon Sanderson was working on the last three Wheel of Time books, he mentioned at least once on his blog that he might at some point post chapter-by-chapter annotations on his web site.  He does this for some of his own books (a while after they are published), where he posts insights into the writing process or maybe additional tidbits on the plot and characters.  If I remember correctly, he said that he would like to do the same thing for the final three WoT books, but that he would do it only with Harriet's permission.  

Does anyone know if this is something that still might happen at some point?  Has Brandon, Harriet, or anyone else mentioned anything about this recently?  I am guessing there is a good chance that Harriet has asked him not to do it, but I haven't heard anything definite one way or the other.  (Or it may be that Brandon has decided that he would rather not open a can of worms, with all of the internet discussions that would likely ensue from these annotations -- or that he is just too busy focusing on his own books right now.)

Didn't he take on his own major epic with a planned 10 books? I saw two of them in Dymocks the other week and they each looked bigger than AMOL. I would imagine the guy has his hands full.

Yes, that's true.  And being busy could be part of the reason that he hasn't posted any Wheel of Time annotations yet.  However, Brandon is always working on multiple projects at once.  And back when he was extremely busy with the Wheel of Time (as well as The Way of Kings), he was still posting annotations for some of his older books.  So I suspect that he would post the Wheel of Time annotations sooner or later unless he has changed his mind about wanting to do it, or unless Harriet has asked him not to.  And maybe one of those things has happened.  I just haven't heard anything one way or the other.

• 1 month later...

My prediction is that we may get something like this after the Companion is released.  He doesn't have much to do with the Companion so IMO (and I have no actual evidence for this), he is waiting for the companion to be released so that his notes don't accidentally spoiler anything in it. Then he may release the notes.  Though I agree with Paul and Azrayne too, maybe he is just too busy, he seems to be a remarkably prolific writer (take note GRRM!)

• 3 weeks later...

I'd anticipate that this could even be a part of the Companion itself. Otherwise, yeah, it would be perfectly logical to wait until the Companion is released to avoid any conflicts or clashes or spoilers.

The companion and his schedule might be the reasons behind the delay.  Maybe he's forgotten and a kindly question to him might prompt an answer?

Archived