DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
mb

'Wheel of Time' similarities with entertainment

I guess this section would be the section for this kind of thread.  If not, a moderator/administrator may move it.

This thread is to discuss similarities this series has/had with movies, shows, music, games, and other forms of entertainment.

similarities I found::

Avatar, Last Air Bender (cartoon show):

-belief that people are reborn.

-magic system that has Air/Water/Earth/Fire; called bending in cartoon.

-that system being limited number of people; though they are called benders in the cartoon.

-benders and channelers both use their hands when controlling respective magic system; though with bending it seems required.

only heard::

-use of the phrase "I see you" when greeting someone.

you may comment on these and/or bring up others.

Only the Avatar is bound to rebirth, while everybody else can hope to attain enlightenment and move on through the spirit world (you forgot the world analog to T'a'R).  In fact, it's rather ambiguous whether anybody else is ever reborn, other than the Avatar.  There's a much more Buddhist or Shinto vibe from Avatar, where WoT's views of rebirth seem much more Western.  And unlike the Dragon or any of the Heroes of the Horn, the Avatar is continually reborn.  As soon as one dies, he (or she) is reborn immediately.  And there's another difference, gender seems to transcend being reborn (unless the Dark One is involved) in the WoT, while being quite mutable in Avatar.  Boys will always be reborn boys in the WoT, and girls reborn as girls, and must be so they can maintain the separation between saidin and saidar, while just with the two Avatar series, we have two gender swaps, one between Kyoshi and Roku, and another between Aang and Korra.  

Only the Avatar can "channel" or bend all 4 elements.  Everybody else is limited to their heritage, Earth benders can only bend earth, Fire benders can only bend fire, and so forth.  Moreover, the elements are much more literal in the Avatar series.  Earth bending is literally bending earth, fire bending literally bending, well, plasma I guess, and so forth.  In fact, its a major innovation when Earth benders figure out how to bend metal and Water benders figure out how to bend blood and Fire benders figure out how to bend lightning.  Channeling threads of Earth or Fire or Water seems to be a much more figurative thing in the WoT.  It's possible to not just change a thing's shape or position, but its very substance, in the WoT, as with making cuendillar.  All Avatar-style benders can do is move stuff around, fire remains fire, earth remains earth, etc, there are no "weave" per se, simply the mental and physical exercises needed to manipulate the requisite elements in the desired way.

thanks for the clarifications; watched only some episodes of Avatar the cartoon.

these came to mind after making the post::

White Tower kind of seems equivalent to the fairies of the Disney Fairies movies.

-the fairy talents kind of equivalent to the Ajahs; though there seems to be few direct correlations.

-talent leaders kind of equivalent to Ajah heads.

-the fairy queen kind of equivalent to the Amyrlin.

-the fairies most frequently around the queen kind of similar to the Hall; the Hall seems to be the most frequent around the Amyrlin.

-pixie dust kind of equivalent to the Source; pixie dust enables fairies to do a number of their tasks, the Source enables channelers to channel.

so far watched 3 of those movies.  Tinker Bell; Pirate Fairy; Legend of the Neverbeast.

edit::

Fairy Talents & Ajah correlations

-reader talent somewhat similar to Brown Ajah; both are around books.

-animal talent kind of a mix of Ajahs

--Brown; both study animals

--Yellow; both at times heal

-scout talent also kind of a mix

--Red; both have a protector role

--Green; both at times do battle

Edited by mb

Thought of others after that last post.

Star Wars (mainly the live action movies)::

-the Force kind of equivalent to channeling

-Jedi kind of equivalent to Light-sided channelers

-Sith kind of equivalent to Dark-sided channelers

Warcraft 3 (pc game)::

-Heroes and spell-casters somewhat similar to channelers

-some of their abilities somewhat similar to channeling

-mana kind of equivalent to the Source

Speaking of Warcraft III, there are some pretty good WoT maps on BattleNet. There's a good one of the Fall of Malkier, it includes all the Borderlands and Tar Valon. Don't know if it's ever hosted anymore since most WC3 games on custom match are pretty much bots but I used to play it all of the time around 4-5 years ago.

saw another Disney Fairies movie some time ago; Secret of the Wings.

Healer Talent seems similar to Yellow Ajah; both do healing.

Sims# (pc game series; though there are also versions for other platforms)

-this series and those games seem to have many types of locations.

-community lots kind of similar to telaranrhiod; time flows differently than in "main" area.  "main" area in those games being the sim's home; "main" area in this series being waking world.

Once Upon a Time (live action show)::

-some people born with magic; though in show, that is generally specific kind of magic.

-magic able to be learned; though in show, it seems to be anyone.

-some objects having magical qualities.

-various objects being able to aid in magic.

-someone/something called the Dark One; though in show, the person could change and be controlled through a certain object.

Edited by mb

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. (live action show)::

-gravitonium kind of similar to "Black Wind"; both have voices.

-Talbot kind of similar to Fain; both kind of survived respective substance.  and both gained powers.

Guardians of the Galaxy (live action movie)::

-Groot character kind of similar to nym; both kind of are walking plants.

actually there has been a lot more of what I watched than what I mentioned here.

another similarity in Once Upon a Time::

a character called the Dragon; though for show am not sure if it is the character's name or is a title.  appeared a few times in show.  if I recall correctly; seasons 2, 5, and 6.

Edited by mb

On 5/25/2018 at 6:00 PM, mb said:

actually there has been a lot more of what I watched than what I mentioned here.

another similarity in Once Upon a Time::

a character called the Dragon; though for show am not sure if it is the character's name or is a title.  appeared a few times in show.  if I recall correctly; seasons 2, 5, and 6.

Wheel of Time is a high fantasy series. High fantasy is a genre which shares a lot of tropes. A lot of what you notice as "similiarities" are just common fantasy tropes.

Just for fun, here are a list of similiarities between WOT and the Elder Scrolls video game series:

• WOT has False Dragons that preceded the real Dragon Reborn. Morrowind has False Incarnates that preceded the real Nerevarine (aka Nerevar Reborn)
  • WOT has the Aiel, a people that follows the Dragon Reborn and lives in a harsh wasteland. Morrowind has the Ashlanders, a group of dark elves that follows the Nerevarine and lives in a wasteland of volanic ash
  • WOT has the Dragon Reborn. Skyrim has the Dragonborn.
  • In WOT, there is a secret organization (Darkfriends) that tries to usher the return of the Dark One. In Oblivion, there is a secret organization (Mythic Dawn) that tries to usher the return of Mehrunes Dagon.
  • In WOT, the Aes Sedai are infiltrated by a secret group of evil magic users. In Oblivion, the Mage Guild is infiltrated by a secret group of evil necromancers.
  • In WOT, (one of) the main character's love interest, Min, for a while went by the name of "Serenla". In Skyrim, Serana is an NPC Follower with some distinctively romantic interactions.
  • In WOT, the taint on Saidin corrupts male channelers and drives them mad. In Morrowind, Corprus is a disease that turns people into monsters. In addition, just like the Taint, Corprus comes from the Big Bad.
  • WOT has swords, magic, and magic swords. All the TES games have those as well.
  • In WOT, Mat loves his hat and always keeps it around. In TES, you can wear hats too.
  • In WOT, Perrin starts off using an axe, then upgrades to a magic hammer. In TES, you can also start off with an axe, then upgrade to a magic hammer.
  • In WOT, Aiel fought with spears. In Morrowind, you can also fight with spears. Sadly, they removed that in Oblivion and Skyrim. :(
  • In WOT, there was once a High King called Artur Hawkwing. In Skyrim, the Nords also have a High King.
  • In WOT, there are bards and gleemen. In Skyrim, there is a College of Bards.
  • In WOT, angreal and sa'angreal can boost an channeler's abilities. In TES, there are items that can boost your magic skills.
  • In WOT, magic users form special associations (i.e. White Tower, Wise Ones, etc). In TES, there is the Mage Guild.
  • In WOT, the story takes place in the Third Age. Both Morrowind and Oblivion takes place in the Third Era.

something that came to mind after my last post::

character parallel between Wheel of Time and Once Upon A Time:

Rand Althor and Emma Swan.

-both had a savior type role.

-both at first did not believe in that role but later accepted it.

-both had magic.

-both were prophesied about.

Doctor Strange (live action movie)::

-there being magic and people being able to learn it.

-magical objects and at least 1 object that can aid in magic.

-magical effects similar to this series; gateways, weapon making.

-mirror dimension similar to telaranrhiod

--respective place reflecting real world

--changes in respective place generally not affecting real world

--respective place being able to be entered in by magic

Eragon to WoT.

---------------

Eragon - Rand

Dragon riders - Aes Sedai

Rowan - Perrin

Murtagh - Padin Fain

--------------------

Sword of Truth to WoT.

----------------------

Richard Rahl - Rand

Kalhan - Elyane

Blood of the Fold - Dragonsworn

Imperial Order - Sanchean.

Keeper - The Dark One

Sisters of the Light - Aei Sedai

Sisters of the Dark - Darkfriends

The Prelate - Amyrlin Seat

And more I can't think of at the moment.

Edited by Illian Tear

other similarities to Doctor Strange movie::

-an evil entity/person; named Dormammu in movie

-his followers believing of having immortality

-Dark Dimension in movie maybe similar to True Power of this series

Jessica Jones (live-action show)::

-Kilgrave character seems to perform something similar to Compulsion.

-some other character allegedly be able to heal people and to check health.

Matrix trilogy::

-Neo kind of similar to Rand.

--both had a savior type role.

--both at first did not believe in that role but later seemed to accepted it.

--both had magic.

--both were prophesied about.

--both the main character of respective series.

--at least this character being reborn.

-Agent Smith kind of similar to Ishamael.

--both the enemy of respective main character.

--both battled respective enemy in the sky; and on land at different times.

-Matrix kind of similar to telaranrhiod.

--both kind of separate from "real world".

--magic being able to be performed in both.

-train station kind of similar to dream accessing place; both kind of a in-between place.

Edited by mb