DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

And remember

richglennon

"He, the Inquisitor, ought to be diligent and fervent in his zeal for religious truth, the salvation of souls, and the extirpation of heresy. In presence of difficulties and reverses he ought to remain calm, and never give way to anger or indignation. He ought to be fearless, facing danger up till death; but while not flinching in the presence of peril, he ought not to hasten it by unreflecting boldness. He must be insensible to the prayers and advances of those who endeavor to persuade him; nevertheless he must not harden his heart to the point of refusing delays or relaxations of punishment, according to circumstances and places. . . . In doubtful matters he must be circumspect, and not give easy credence to what seems only likely and often is not true, for often that which seems unlikely ends by being true. He must listen, discuss, and examine with all zeal, in order patiently to attain to the light. Let that love of truth and mercy, which ought always to dwell in the heart of a judge, shine on his countenance, so that his decisions may never seem to be dictated by envy or by cruelty."

Bernard Gui, a Practical Manual for Inquisitors, 1317 AD.

I wonder where the White Cloaks came from?

I completely agree. I've always seen them as being created by RJ with a very Inquisition flair. Their inability to perceive actual innocence in light of their fervor and self-righteousness. They even justify evil things done in defense of the Light.

Very good find.

Interesting if you just type Bernard Gui into google. the first response back is

http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/source/heresy2.html

I guess it seems funny now, but could you imagine? You are raising sheep on your farm. You marry the girl next door. A guy shows up, tells you that your spirituality is in jeopardy, drags you away, and shoves a hot poker down your throat. And the worst thing is that he goes back to his HQ and puts in his quota.

Guest cwestervelt
"He' date=' the Inquisitor, ought to be diligent and fervent in his zeal for religious truth, the salvation of souls, and the extirpation of heresy. In presence of difficulties and reverses he ought to remain calm, and never give way to anger or indignation. He ought to be fearless, facing danger up till death; but while not flinching in the presence of peril, he ought not to hasten it by unreflecting boldness. He must be insensible to the prayers and advances of those who endeavor to persuade him; nevertheless he must not harden his heart to the point of refusing delays or relaxations of punishment, according to circumstances and places. . . . In doubtful matters he must be circumspect, and not give easy credence to what seems only likely and often is not true, for often that which seems unlikely ends by being true. He must listen, discuss, and examine with all zeal, in order patiently to attain to the light. Let that love of truth and mercy, which ought always to dwell in the heart of a judge, shine on his countenance, so that his decisions may never seem to be dictated by envy or by cruelty."

Bernard Gui, a Practical Manual for Inquisitors, 1317 AD.

I wonder where the White Cloaks came from?[/quote']

You hit the nail on the head. Especially if you mix in some other notorious organizations throughout history.

From RJ's blog...

http://www.wotmania.com/faqtopic.asp?ID=150

For Children of the Light, the Whitecloaks were inspired by the Inquisition, the SS, the Teutonic Knights and others. In fact, they were inspired by all those groups who say, "We know the truth. It is the only truth. You will believe it, or we will kill you."

Archived