DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Sooh

Childhood Favorite Books

One of my absolute favourite series as a child was an Australian one: The Silver Brumby series is a collection of fiction children's books by Australian author Elyne Mitchell. I only read up to book 7 or so, because that's all our library had. Would love to find the whole series one day!

Other than that, I loved Famous Five and Secret Seven series by Enid Blyton. Oh and Noddy! I looooooved Noddy when I was a little! lol ... I still want to eat a cake or pudding like those in the Noddy books. :P

I also like the Hardy Boys. I think I read a few Nancy Drews, but I don't really recall them much.

Comics totally count - like Obelix and Asterix, and RinTinTin.

I don't think I every read a Pippi Langkous (Pippi Longstocking) book, but we had it on tv.

Blue  Ive read those Elgee. Would you like me to keep an eye out for them? they turn up in salvo stores and the like sometimes

So I grew up on Book and Records. Things like Tawny Scrawny Lion, Saggy baggy Elephant, Johnny Appleseed   and theres one I can never remember the name of and REALLY want a audio copy of. Its a little boy at christmas wishing. He gets an axe an apple and a Buckskin Jacket with Fringe. LOVE that story

Reading kicked in for me at the end of year 3  so 8 yrs old. 

I started picking up Famous Five and Secret Seven and the Tiger Gang

moved onto The Three Investigators, the Hardy Boys and Nancy drew (drew really kicked in later)  I collect these.  If you see any hard cover three investigators think of me!

then dad started me collecting the Five Find-Outers and Dog    bet Ithi knows them. They had the most gorgeous oiltype drawing dust jackets.

Got into Find you owns as well.

Hobbit was at 11 and High school bought LotR, Shannara and Once and Future King  plus the Arthurian legends and Greek and Norse myths

I used to love the Choose Your Own Adventure books! Does anyone remember the Time Machine books from the same publisher? It was the same concept as the other series, but each book gave you a "mission" to work towards, with the eventual success of the mission being the only way the story ended.

I remember those! I had quite a few, as well as Goosebumps books.

I liked the Redwall series, and read it up until Martin the Warrior, I think. I never got into Nancy Drew or the Hardy Boys, but I did read a fair amount of Babysitter's Club at one point, too.

As a small child, I liked the Frog and Toad books, and The Man in the Edible Suit, the book done from the Edward Lear poem.

One of my absolute favourite series as a child was an Australian one: The Silver Brumby series is a collection of fiction children's books by Australian author Elyne Mitchell. I only read up to book 7 or so, because that's all our library had. Would love to find the whole series one day!

Other than that, I loved Famous Five and Secret Seven series by Enid Blyton. Oh and Noddy! I looooooved Noddy when I was a little! lol ... I still want to eat a cake or pudding like those in the Noddy books. :P

I also like the Hardy Boys. I think I read a few Nancy Drews, but I don't really recall them much.

Comics totally count - like Obelix and Asterix, and RinTinTin.

I don't think I every read a Pippi Langkous (Pippi Longstocking) book, but we had it on tv.

Blue  Ive read those Elgee. Would you like me to keep an eye out for them? they turn up in salvo stores and the like sometimes

Aawww bless! I don't think you'd be able to get them to me, unfortunately, with our Customs being such spoilsports.

I have to pay Customs to get anything sent to me in a parcel. Sometimes 3 or 4 times the original price.

The first book I remember loving was the Red Ripe Strawberry and the big Hungry Bear (or something like that) by Audrey Wood. I also liked The True Story of the Three Little pigs by Jon Scieszka and Where the Sidewalk Ends by Shel Silverstein. When I got older I loved the Giver by Lois Lowry, Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbit, Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls (cried my eyes out on that), and Island of the Blue Dolphins by Scott O'dell (another tear jerker.)

There was one science fiction book that stuck with me over the years as well. It was called The Snows ofJaspre by Mary Caraker where humans have colonized an ice planet, and the use a satelitte to reflect the sun's light to terraform it. There was the rich population closer to the equater (and terraformed fertile land) trying to get a second satelitte approved to terraform the poorer ice lands at the poles, which is opposed by the people who lived in those ice lands. It was really good and thought provoking novel for a kid.

Oooh, did anyone read Julie of the Wolves? I think that was the very first book I ever cried over. The ending made me cry for almost an hour and I was so confused cause it was only a book! Aaauuugh!

The first book I cried over was a Read Along Cassette tape in third grade of the Bremen Town Musicians. Something in the voice actors performance struck a cord deep inside my Lonely Boy Feelings and I broke into tears. Like, it started as a snuffle and a teardrop before a wall broke and my vision clouded as the tears blinded me. I was trying so hard not to cry but I started wailing and my teacher ran into the room, visibly startled. I blurbled something like "THEY'RE ALONE. THEY'RE SO ALONE" before she scooped me up and hugged my shaking body.

I was a sensitive child. ;;>_>

Call of the Wild wasn't as painful.

Old Yeller was difficult. Also, Where the Red Fern Grows.

Classmates hated The Outsiders for similar reasons. The hardest YA book for me emotionally was probably Island of the Blue Dolphins - I didn't want her to leave. D:

Same reaction to My Side of the Mountain until the ending happened and his family finds him. That was a good ending, the way it was meant to be.

It's always the animal books that are the most upsetting. I vaguely remember Island of the Blue Dolphins, but that was sooo long ago I can't remember how it affected me. I know we read it in 4th grade and that's about it.

The Outsiders was definitely emotional, and a good book.

I am sure a lot of you have read books in the Tolkien universe. When did you first start reading those and was there a special reason why you did it?

I remember Island of the Blue Dolphins as well, but only very vaguely. We had to read it for school, and at that point I was very bad at reading things I was told I HAD to read, so I likely didn't pay much attention.

I didn't read Tolkien until I was at university, surprisingly.

i didn't read tolkien until i was an adult, began with the hobbit, then the trilogy, then eventually the silmarillion and then started reading all the extra compilations like the history of middle earth. i started because there definitely wasn't much in the way of popular books dealing with pagan Germanic and to a lesser extent Celtic symbols and folklore at the time and when people i knew brought up the book and compare it to classic fairy tales i decided to pick it up. i found it very charming and got hooked into the rest of his writing that way. wasnt as much of a fan of the lord of the rings but i definitely appreciated the respectful creativity with the lore. i loved the silmarillion, but i liked the histories of middle earth the most since actually got to explore more of the academic side which is what i'm more use to besides that could see how the stories and languages evolved over time and what sort of inspiration tolkien was drawing from exactly.

I read The Hobbit probably around 13 or 14 and moved onto the Trilogy the same year. I carried the books with me every day in high school and read them whenever I had spare time in class or during lunch. The following summer, I started The Silmie. I found it while staying in a cabin at a theological school my father attended. I was curled up in a loft bed somewhere after Iluvatar had sang Melkor into shame but before the rebellion and my dad came in and gave me some Fatherly Advice.

"Now, Hiarth. I am ok with you reading these books. I read them, too. But you need to know the histories aren't real. It was something Tolkien did to give his books life but it's just fiction. Just. Fiction."

I said something deferential and inoffensive but, somewhere, I wanted to tell my father in the rudest terms possible that he had gravely insulted my intelligence. Something so beautiful couldn't possibly be fiction; how dare he. u_u;;

The Silmie was a far better cosmology than his gloomy Calvinism anyway.

That's a heartbreaking thing to tell a child. If I ever have any of my own, I feel like I will withhold all of that kind of discovery for as long as I can.

And definitely much better than Calvinism!

In his defense, I have an obsessive personality and I think he was trying to prevent a wild flight of fantasy into a dream world.

But our relationship has definitely suffered ever since he became involved in Reform theology. Whenever I talk to my folks about religion, I always feel like they're one Kool-aid social away from a great time. :/

I am sure a lot of you have read books in the Tolkien universe. When did you first start reading those and was there a special reason why you did it?

I read LotR the first time when I was about 10. I didn't read the Hobbit until much later. I would read LotR every summer on school break. Just sit down and tear thru the entire thing (I may have skipped the Tom Fal de Rall bit). My brother had a set that I read. Within 5 years it was worn out. I read Silmarillion shortly after it was released in 1977 and was enthralled by the epic scale of the battles and the larger than life characters. Even though the stories were not as detailed they were amazing. Still my favorite book ever. 

Me and my siblings would play the quote game where we would say  quote and other person would try to guess who said it when. 

It made the scene in recent Hobbit film so awesome when Galadriel sends Sauron away. Love any references to the first age.

So many lovely Tolkien stories :smile: 

One of my best friends at the time almost ruined Silmarillion for me. He was reading it for the first time, so he would be asking me about absolutely everything. 

Do we have any other books several have liked that it would be fun to see how we got into?

I've never read the Hobbit - so I had lots of questions for Turin that got answered with, 'that bit didn't actually happen'. I first tried to read LotR when I was 11, but just couldn't get into it. I tried again when I was 13 and was completely absorbed. I even learned the Elvish and Dwarf languages/runes from the appendices, but I can only remember two words of Elvish now.

I've never read the Silmarillion, but when I was very sad and not very well, Turin would tell me the stories from it, which was lovely.

Other favourite series from when I was younger would be The Belgariad and the Mallorean ... and then the Elenium and the Tamuli. And Terry Pratchett ... starting with Mort :sad:

I've never read any Pratchett apart from Good Omens, and that is a massive shame. Actually, as soon as I'm done with Book 3, I'll move on to him.

I had forgotten some of the books mentioned. Iread Nancy Drew, The Hardy boys, Three Ivestigators, Wjnnie the pooh and all A A Milnes poems. Before that was Finn Family Moomintroll, Beatrix Potter, Narnia. My Mum was a librarian so plenty of supply. Of course Ialso read a lot of Enid Blyton, lol

I got inot Tolkien when I was11 at school. Tried to read LotR but couldn't get into it. Read it later on (about 5 times now) and I have also read the Silmirillion about 3 times.