DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Sooh

Childhood Favorite Books

Little House, Magic Tree House, Guardians of Ga'Hoole (hated the movie), The Chronicles of Narnia, there was this series called Animal Ark that I was into for a while... I read tones of books I'm not remembering most of them right now because of sheer amount. Those ones were on my bookshelf still :P

Little House, Magic Tree House, Guardians of Ga'Hoole (hated the movie), The Chronicles of Narnia, there was this series called Animal Ark that I was into for a while... I read tones of books I'm not remembering most of them right now because of sheer amount. Those ones were on my bookshelf still :P

I loved Guardians of Ga'hoole also. I think I read those back in 5th grade. The movie was dreadful and didn't follow the books at all.

One of my absolute favourite series as a child was an Australian one: The Silver Brumby series is a collection of fiction children's books by Australian author Elyne Mitchell. I only read up to book 7 or so, because that's all our library had. Would love to find the whole series one day!

Other than that, I loved Famous Five and Secret Seven series by Enid Blyton. Oh and Noddy! I looooooved Noddy when I was a little! lol ... I still want to eat a cake or pudding like those in the Noddy books. :P

I also like the Hardy Boys. I think I read a few Nancy Drews, but I don't really recall them much.

Comics totally count - like Obelix and Asterix, and RinTinTin.

I don't think I every read a Pippi Langkous (Pippi Longstocking) book, but we had it on tv.

Did you have the Swedish movies on tv or a cartoon?

I honestly can't remember ... it was dubbed into Afrikaans, though.

Did you have the Swedish movies on tv or a cartoon?

I honestly can't remember ... it was dubbed into Afrikaans, though.

I'm sure Pippi is awesome in Afrikaans too... 

I really appreciated Pippi as a kid. It was nice to have a hero in a book with red hair and freckles when you have that yourself...

I didn't start reading for fun until about 12 in 7th Grade. Although I did read some kind of fantasy series in 4th Grade (Balmora Chronicles or something, I can't remember the name, but I know what happened) but that was a compulsory thing, and I while I did enjoy it, I never picked up reading. 

I remember the first book I ever (willingly) read was about a girl escaping the Gestapo in Nazi Germany. 

I guess I was never interested in 'children's' stuff even as a kid. I really developed an interest in books and reading when I was 15. I had read Harry Potter and was looking for something nice and short to read. That's when I picked up Eye of the World in the school library. I had no idea that WoT would be far from 'nice and short', but I got addicted, and have read hundreds of books in the last 9 years. 

I would read some children's books in grade school, but I didn't seriously begin reading for fun until I was 12 and my seventh grade English teacher had as part of the curriculum something that she called SQUIRT (student's quiet uninterrupted reading time). We were expected to read books we chose on our own and deliver regular book reports throughout the year. It was then that I first began reading stuff that wasn't specifically published for kids. I was towards the beginning of my lifelong enjoyment of Star Trek, and went right for the tie-in novels. These days, the Trek novel series is one big expanded universe and a huge time suck that I gave up on ages ago. Back then, the books were self-contained adventures. They didn't aim to be great literature, but 12 year olds don't care about such things. Some of the stories still hold up well. It wasn't for another year or two that I began exploring books that weren't tied into a TV or movie franchise.

to be completely honest, the first books I picked out on my own to read for fun were the ones very well hidden in secret hides holes throughout my house and I can't post any of the titles here.

except to say the naked and the dead was a huge disappointment.

does Mad or Cracked magazines count...lol????!!!  i didnt really get into reading alot till i was in my early teens.  first novel i read cover to cover was steven kings in the eyes of the dragon!

As a kid i loved...

- A Wrinkle in Time. 

- The Hobbit.

And

- A book of fairy tales that my folks would read me at bed time when i was really little lol.

I first read the hobbit when I was 16.. my English teacher decided it was time for me to read a book in English, so he gave me that.

“So Matilda’s strong young mind continued to grow, nurtured by the voices of all those authors who had sent their books out into the world like ships on the sea. These books gave Matilda a hopeful and comforting message: You are not alone.”

to be completely honest, the first books I picked out on my own to read for fun were the ones very well hidden in secret hides holes throughout my house and I can't post any of the titles here.

Surely it can't be that bad. I mean, the first book I read that managed to make me truly love reading was Twilight.

I am forever shamed.

But, before the movies came out, being a fan of that series wasn't so bad. When everyone else caught wind of what it all was about, all the fans got generalized and made fun of.

Surely it can't be that bad. I mean, the first book I read that managed to make me truly love reading was Twilight.

I am forever shamed.

But, before the movies came out, being a fan of that series wasn't so bad. When everyone else caught wind of what it all was about, all the fans got generalized and made fun of.

Yup.. the books were good.. I plowed through them... then the movies came out... now I'm more eh...

I unashamedly enjoyed the books and the movies.

Although I joke about the sparkly vampires I did too. I have all the books and the movies in my personal collection.

Personally I never liked the Twilight series - either ones, but I was not the target audience, as a somewhat sporty (at the time) teen male. Yes, some of the stuff makes me roll my eyes and think, jeez, this is ridiculous! Later as I studied literature, it grew even more irritating with the unconventional writing (I won't say bad, because it doesn't exactly matter). 

However, I don't go with the whole hating thing. It is a good story that has connected with millions of readers and viewers. It's just not my, or the people that hate and tease it, thing. I can appreciate that even if the writing isn't excellent or outstanding, something in the story connected to people's hearts and that's all that matters in the end. 

Personally I never liked the Twilight series - either ones, but I was not the target audience, as a somewhat sporty (at the time) teen male. Yes, some of the stuff makes me roll my eyes and think, jeez, this is ridiculous! Later as I studied literature, it grew even more irritating with the unconventional writing (I won't say bad, because it doesn't exactly matter). 

However, I don't go with the whole hating thing. It is a good story that has connected with millions of readers and viewers. It's just not my, or the people that hate and tease it, thing. I can appreciate that even if the writing isn't excellent or outstanding, something in the story connected to people's hearts and that's all that matters in the end. 

Exactly.

Though I still call it Twinkle Twinkle Little Vampire ... *grins*

I've never read Twilight and thus have nothing to say about it.

I refuse to criticize a book I've never read.

my sister made me listen to it in the car. it was painful. the movies less so.

i used to enjoy those reader pamphlets they gave us in grade school to do on our own. in one they promised us flying cars in the near future.

I've been waiting for those for too long.

I think the first books I enjoyed reading were the choose your own adventure books lol. Most recently I read the hunger games, which I really liked, and that lead to Wot. SOO YAY.

I used to love the Choose Your Own Adventure books! Does anyone remember the Time Machine books from the same publisher? It was the same concept as the other series, but each book gave you a "mission" to work towards, with the eventual success of the mission being the only way the story ended.