DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

If you could make 1 change

Sabio

More myrddraal.Less Forsaken.

Why Myrdraal? They're just mass produced, homebrand Ringwraiths.

Though speaking of Shadowspawn, I always wanted to know what the "things which live in the high passes" were, the ones which even the Worms were afraid of. In fact, more of the Blight in general would have been cool. There's this big buildup to it over the first book and then we barely see it again for the rest of the series.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had so many emotions running when Lan gave up his life to kill a Forsaken.  I have never really cried before while reading, but this brought tears.  Emotions ran high, and just a few pages away we find out he lived. 

I felt Lan should have stayed dead.  I love the character, and when he arose I felt cheated somehow.  Idk

Cause I have hots for them, and they needed more development.Won't believe they are literally that identical,when different ones are specifically mentioned as having different personalities.

I know looks wise they all look the same the BWB describes them as "like the others as if poured from the same mold."  It also says "it has been said all myddraal are virtually alike"  I think they each might have a little personality differences here and there but like trollocs their nature has been probably been breed in them.  Shaidar Haran was said to be different in size and  personality.  It was  several feet taller, its demeanor was one  of arrogance  instead  of  servitude,and  has envinced a definite dark  sense of  humor,  something  previously unknown among Myrddraal.  I don't remember any myrddall having  a different personality except Shaidar Haran.

So Myrddraal are for the most part the same with maybe a little personality difference here and there.  Independent thought isn't  something the DO wants. There probably are no myrddaal wishing for something like a different purpose for its life.  

Edited by Sabio

Cause I have hots for them, and they needed more development.Won't believe they are literally that identical,when different ones are specifically mentioned as having different personalities.

Where?

Oh, and creepy :|

Edited by Azrayne

I didn't like How Aviendha became such a minor character in books 6-11. She was pretty much just one of Elayne's sidekicks. That's one thing that definitely got better in the last 3 books, even though her appearances are limited in tGS and ToM, she felt like a main character again to me. She was one of my favorite characters in tSR and tFoH and her relationship with Rand in those two books was one of my favorite plotlines.

Edited by Galium

As far as I recall, there was only one myrddraal's name mentioned in the series::  Shaidar Haran.

Though like another poster told, he is unlike other myrddraal.

other myrddraal; there seems to be too few differences to tell them apart or to count the number that appear on-screen.

I didn't like How Aviendha became such a minor character in books 6-11. She was pretty much just one of Elayne's sidekicks. That's one thing that definitely got better in the last 3 books, even though her appearances are limited in tGS and ToM, she felt like a main character again to me. She was one of my favorite characters in tSR and tFoH and her relationship with Rand in those two books was one of my favorite plotlines.

Aviendha has the perfect personality for a sidekick, imo - that is, none. She's defined entirely by her cultural identity, her role as an ex-maiden/Wise One (Apprentice) and being Rand's lover. I'm fully convinced she exists only because RJ wanted Rand to have an Aiel lover to cement his connection to his genetic background and to round out the "three women" as a mythological reference (and I'm convinced that "that" only exists because he couldn't decide on what type of person Rand's lover should be, so he just went with his 3 best choices to make Arthurian allusions).

I know looks wise they all look the same the BWB describes them as "like the others as if poured from the same mold."  It also says "it has been said all myddraal are virtually alike"  I think they each might have a little personality differences here and there but like trollocs their nature has been probably been breed in them.  Shaidar Haran was said to be different in size and  personality.  It was  several feet taller, its demeanor was one  of arrogance  instead  of  servitude,and  has envinced a definite dark  sense of  humor,  something  previously unknown among Myrddraal.  I don't remember any myrddall having  a different personality except Shaidar Haran.

So Myrddraal are for the most part the same with maybe a little personality difference here and there.  Independent thought isn't  something the DO wants. There probably is no myrddaal wishing for something like a different purpose for its life.  

Well,who knows,they aren't fleshed out enough.Either way,even if you start with identicals,they develop diffirences overtime.

As for personalities,there was difference noted in myrddraal who dealt with Fain - first was more patient. Also there is the poor curious guy who got himself killed cause he stared at Callandor way too long.

Where?

Oh, and creepy :|

*points to previous answer*

How it is creepy?)

As far as I recall, there was only one myrddraal's name mentioned in the series::  Shaidar Haran.

Though like another poster told, he is unlike other myrddraal.

other myrddraal; there seems to be too few differences to tell them apart or to count the number that appear on-screen.

Yup.

That is bad.They should've been developed more.

Which one? You mean Shaidar Haran? It's pretty explicitly stated that he's an avatar for the dark one to physically explore the world, he's not a myrdraal at all, he just took on a myrdraal form.

How it is creepy?)

Because they're possibly the freakiest looking creatures in a world full of freaky looking creatures and live to do nothing but kill, rape and torture? If you think that's "hot" then I never want to meet you in a dark alley.

Edited by Azrayne

Which one? You mean Shaidar Haran? It's pretty explicitly stated that he's an avatar for the dark one to physically explore the world, he's not a myrdraal at all, he just took on a myrdraal form.

The one I made in the same post to a diffirent guy.This one:

Well,who knows,they aren't fleshed out enough.Either way,even if you start with identicals,they develop diffirences overtime.

As for personalities,there was difference noted in myrddraal who dealt with Fain - first was more patient. Also there is the poor curious guy who got himself killed cause he stared at Callandor way too long.

How it is creepy?)

Because they're possibly the freakiest looking creatures in a world full of freaky looking creatures and live to do nothing but kill, rape and torture? If you think that's "hot" then I never want to meet you in a dark alley.

Man,have you ever looked at what women sexualise? You know,beings like Pyramid Head and stuff? Myrddraal are nothing but precious kitties compared to some of those.And they are supposed to be more or less good-looking,according to the encyclopedia (described as "coldly handsome").

Sorry for somewhat erratic text,my english is kinda not the best.

And they are supposed to be more or less good-looking,according to the encyclopedia (described as "coldly handsome").

Maybe in terms of facial features, but anyone attracted to something with slug-like skin, blank eye sockets and an emanating aura of fear needs some therapy :p

And they are supposed to be more or less good-looking,according to the encyclopedia (described as "coldly handsome").

Maybe in terms of facial features, but anyone attracted to something with slug-like skin, blank eye sockets and an emanating aura of fear needs some therapy :p

They have no eye sockets,read canon better :p As for aura of fear, my mom beats any.Nothing would phase me after her.

I just need to get laid, what is with starting lusting for men at 12 and as of almost 23, still being a virgin.

• 3 weeks later...

Second answer: change the spelling of Tanchico to Tanchino. I've been spelling it that way and saying it that way in my head for 15 years, only to find out I was getting it wrong when I was reading the wiki, and even then I had to confirm it by checking in my copies of the books. No idea how I mis-read that single word for 15 years.

The Fade with fain was acting differently because I assume its was in Fain's presence a long time, not to mention Fain was torturing it.  It was afraid of Fain yet was too afraid to try and flee.  We need a brown to study if shadow spawn can be affected by being around Fain like human's are.  I would suspedt since trollocs and fades are part human that they should be affected.  That would be important work but Verin had to waste her time trying to expose the BA.  Pffffff

ROFL the flicker idea would of been amazing.  At the end we discover Rand was simply having a vision and was using the portal stone to get to Toman's head still.  Man I bet people would of been pissed.  I love unexpected endings so I would of been YES.  I always thought would of been great had at the end of Return of the Jedi Luke was all I AM THENEW EMPEROR.

Edited by Sabio

The Fade with fain was acting differently because I assume its was in Fain's presence a long time, not to mention Fain was torturing it

I meant not this one,but ones who were in the one of the first books, when this guy wasn't a goddamn marysue yet. Remember?

• 2 weeks later...

Second answer: change the spelling of Tanchico to Tanchino. I've been spelling it that way and saying it that way in my head for 15 years, only to find out I was getting it wrong when I was reading the wiki, and even then I had to confirm it by checking in my copies of the books. No idea how I mis-read that single word for 15 years.

Ha! You just made me realize that it's Tanchico and not Tanchicho. Wow, I've reread The Shadow Rising several times as well and I'm on my 4th series reread.

This reminds me, for some reason when I first starting this series, I read Emond's Field as Edmond's Field and never noticed otherwise until I got to The Shadow Rising in my current reread. I've been reading these books since 2006 (don't think there's been a month since I started that I haven't at least read a few chapters of Wheel of Time) and just realized a couple of months ago that I added the extra d to Emond's Field. I still say Edmond's Field to myself most of the time.

One other thing I would change is pretty much how Rand abandons the Black Tower in the last few books. It just makes no sense. It's one of the most important resources in terms of channelers for the Last Battle and he just left them to their fate. I'm still confused as to how he got Deepe and the other Asha'man to assist Ituralde at Maradon because I assumed he got them from the Black Tower but at that point, I can't imagine him either going there or sending someone to get them and not realizing that it was a bad situation there, not even mentioning how the Dream Spike might have already been in place there (I'm not sure if it is or is not). Or at least one of the Asha'man that went with Ituralde would say something about Taim and people getting 13x13'd. It's not like Rand didn't know something bad was going on, otherwise he would not have told Nynaeve to not go there at the beginning of ToM. I don't know, I just feel like the Black Tower was handled extremely poorly in the last couple of books.

Edited by Galium