DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Theory on Rand's Hand

Tylins Toy

I believe in losing his hand, Rand will not be able to preform the sword forms like he used to. Because of his now inability to fight with steel, he will have to concentrate on his channeling, thus making him a much more skilled channeler. In this, he discovers new things and ways to make himself a death dealer.

Therefore preparing him for his greatest feat, to challenge the DO himself.

First of all Rand already knows that he is going to face the Dark One with channeling, and is plenty concentrated on his skills. Second, Rand is so tainted by source that he avoids channeling as much as possible as it is. Plus i dont belive he will chance grabing the source to much since LT has already beat him to the punch once. Last but not least, after he loses his hand in KoD i think he tells someone he will have to relearn the sword forms all over again. 8)

Well, I am just saying it will help him focus on that aspect of his skills.

Another note: I thought that it kind of sucked that the whole main character losing his hand thing was so parralell to Luke Skywalker/Anakin thing.

But hey, it still was shocking.

I just thought that Jordan, since writing these books about 15 years later and already reading so many fanstasy series with Star Wars plot themes, would have chosen some other way to injure Rand. I know that having a leg severed or something would be kind of extreme, but I don't know.

And I know that the situations were different. Its just the same end result.

Hey, we still have another book (at least ;) ) till the end of the series, so everything may happen yet. On that note, I think there was some mention in the books about lava being a part of landscape in Shayol Ghul, but then again I may be wrong. Anybody rememmbers?

If that were true' date=' then rand would join the darkside, and get burned by lava.[/quote']

weeeeel.. I wouldnt say Anakin joined the dark side, and got burned by lava by loosing his hand.. :wink:

Because after all, Luke looses his hand aswell, without turning to the dark side.

That means that the followin statement is inncorrect:

If: loosing hand in battle

Then: Join dark side, and get burned by lava.

I just thought that Jordan' date=' since writing these books about 15 years later and already reading so many fanstasy series with Star Wars plot themes, would have chosen some other way to injure Rand. I know that having a leg severed or something would be kind of extreme, but I don't know.

And I know that the situations were different. Its just the same end result.[/quote']

With the greatest of respect, my jordan knew rand was gonna lose his hand a LONG time ago.... like when he was planning the storyline and the prophecies....

Im just gonna say that even if it seems familiar to star wars, star wars cam eup with the idea through Frodo losing his fingers in LotR (Lucas actuallly said that's what gave him the idea) so it's all just a vicious circle, stemming from the fact that hands are iportant, but a hero can get on without them.

I really do not think the situations are comparable, other than in the respect that it is horrible to lose body parts.

Remember, in Star Wars people could lose every loseable body part thinkable and it would not matter. They would just get a robotic replacement. So, no comparison.

Rand equals Tyr

Luke equals Tyr

Frodo doesn't equal Tyr

The Rites of Odin by Ed Fitch published in 1990 through Llewellyn says that Tyr is "the invincible warrior of the Nordic pantheon, and far older than all the others of Asgard." He is said to have sacrificed his right hand to help bind Fenrir, the wolf who, when set free, is destined to devour the Sun. It is thought by scholars that he may have been the original father-god of the archaic Indo-Europeans, long before the dawn of our histories.

In short, just a RJ has said, Rand is based on Tyr, hence we KNEW he had to lose the hand once RJ confirmed that Rand was based on Tyr, combined with the various visions.

Hmm... Wat if The Wheel of time date is Ancient hystory of Star wars. Like a million jillion years before before star wars. That'd be extreme but kinda interesting

Star wars-

Lightsaber= USed by the force

The Force= USed by the power of spirit. The source?

The Creatures- Evolved Creatures. Evolution is wat changes animals as years fly by.

Jedi- Aes sedai?

Wheel of time-

Swords= Ancient compared to Star wars

The source= The Force??

The Creatures- Ancient Creatures. Dinosaur like animals.

Aes sedai- Jedi?

(Well of course this isn't possible but im just saying)

BAck on topic..

I think that Cadsuane will teach Samirhage a lesson and then she teaches him how to grow it back using balefire or somethin.

IF not, then he increases his use of being a one handed swordesmen. :lol: hahahahaha!. Picture him fighting Sammael with one hand! he wont win. So i dont kno, its all up to jordan at this point

I dont think that rands hand will be that much of a problem. I mean he still has it even though it doesnt work that well. I think he can still bring it.

yeah but i have to admit that the first thing that came to my mind when rand lost his hand was star wars. He should have lost his big toe! thats original!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Archived