DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Seven cultural concepts we don't have in the U.S.

Ryrin

http://www.mnn.com/lifestyle/arts-culture/blogs/7-cultural-concepts-we-dont-have-in-the-us

Friluftsliv translates directly from Norwegian as "free air life," which doesn't quite do it justice. Coined relatively recently, in 1859, it is the concept that being outside is good for human beings' mind and spirit. "It is a term in Norway that is used often to describe a way of life that is spent exploring and appreciating nature," Anna Stoltenberg, culture coordinator for Sons of Norway, a U.S.-based Norwegian heritage group, told MNN. Other than that, it's not a strict definition: it can include sleeping outside, hiking, taking photographs or meditating, playing or dancing outside, for adults or kids. It doesn't require any special equipment, includes all four seasons, and needn't cost much money.

Shinrin-yoku is a Japanese term that means "forest bathing" and unlike the Norwegian translation above, this one seems a perfect language fit (though a pretty similar idea). The idea being that spending time in the forest and natural areas is good preventative medicine, since it lowers stress, which causes or exacerbates some of our most intractable health issues. As MNN's Catie Leary details, this isn't just a nice idea — there's science behind it: "The "magic" behind forest bathing boils down to the naturally produced allelochemic substances known as phytoncides, which are kind of like pheromones for plants. Their job is to help ward off pesky insects and slow the growth of fungi and bacteria. When humans are exposed to phytoncides, these chemicals are scientifically proven to lower blood pressure, relieve stress and boost the growth of cancer-fighting white blood cells.

Hygge is the idea that helps Denmark regularly rate as one of the happiest countries in the world. Loosely translated at "togetherness," and "coziness," though it's not a physical state, it's a mental one. According to VisitDenmark (the country's official tourism site): "The warm glow of candlelight is hygge. Friends and family — that’s hygge too. And let’s not forget the eating and drinking — preferably sitting around the table for hours on end discussing the big and small things in life." Hygge's high season is winter, and Christmas lights, candles galore, and other manifestations of warmth and light, including warm alcoholic beverages, are key to the concept. "Hygge is a deep sense of cosy that can originate from many different sources. A cloudy winter Sunday morning at the country house, fire in the stove and 20 candles lit to dispel the gloom. My husband, puppy and I curled up on our sheepskins wearing felt slippers, warm snuggly clothes and hands clasped around hot mugs of tea. A full day ahead with long walks on the cold beach, back for pancake lunch, reading, more snuggling, etc. This is a very hyggligt day."

Wabi-sabi is the Japanese idea of embracing the imperfect, of celebrating the worn, the cracked, the patinaed, both as a decorative concept and a spiritual one — it's an acceptance of the toll that life takes on us all. As I wrote about it earlier this year, "If we can learn to love the things that already exist, for all their chips and cracks, their patinas, their crooked lines or tactile evidence of being made by someone's hands instead of a machine, from being made from natural materials that vary rather than perfect plastic, we wouldn't need to make new stuff, reducing our consumption (and its concurrent energy use and inevitable waste), cutting our budgets, and saving some great stories for future generations." We might also be less stressed, and more attentive to the details, which are the keys to mindfulness.

Kaizen is another Japanese concept, one that means "continuous improvement," and could be taken to mean the opposite of wabi-sabi (though as you'll see, it depends on the interpretation). It's a very new idea, only coined in 1986, and generally used in business circumstances. As this tutorial details, "Kaizen is a system that involves every employee, from upper management to the cleaning crew. Everyone is encouraged to come up with small improvement suggestions on a regular basis.  Applied to your own life, it could mean daily or weekly check-ins about goals, as opposed to making New Year's resolutions, or a more organized path based on small changes toward weight loss, a personal project or a hobby. 

Gemütlichkeit is a German word that means almost the same thing as hygge, and also has its peak usage during the winter.  The word means more than just cozy: "A soft chair in a coffee shop might be considered ‘cosy’. But sit in that chair surrounded by close friends and a hot cup of tea, while soft music plays in the background, and that sort of scene is what you’d call gemütlich."

Jugaad is a Hindi word that means "an innovative fix" or a "repair derived from ingenuity," — think a jury-rigged sled for snowy fun, or a bicycle chain repaired with some duct tape. It's a frequently used word in India where frugal fixes are revered. But the idea has further merit beyond figuring out solutions to get by with less. It also encapsulates the spirit of doing something innovative. As the authors of Jugaad Innovation write in Forbes, they see jugaad in many other places than the repair shop: "In Kenya, for instance, entrepreneurs have invented a device that enables bicycle riders to charge their cellphones while pedaling. Jugaad's idea of frugal innovation can definitely be applied in the individual life — what about setting aside a half a day twice a year where everyone in your family fixes something that needs repair? You'll save money, spend time together, test problem-solving skills, and get a sense of accomplishment from repairing instead of buying new. 

Any comments and thoughts?  Do you use any of these concepts in your daily life?  Does your country have something along these lines?  Would you agree that the U.S. is lacking in these cultural concepts?

cultures.jpg

i dont think when talking about concepts and customs like these you shoulld talk about country-wide things, because a lot of times such things dont apply in all areas of a country. for example, you say that som such things like these you do not have in the united states, and while certainly these things are absennt from the majority culture, there are many sub-cultures and areas that have simillar concepts. ive visited a number of communes there in which the concept of nature being something cleansing or something we are not seperate from is well-recognised, and of course thats something native american cultures readily recognise in their own way. 

i cant say exactly what they do in all parts of the country (going back to the culture isnt the same), but here there is a number of things we do and believe that ive noticed are mostly dead in a lot of other places. a couple of them: people still do blessings here, which, whether your looking at pagan or christian, is about using yuor power or asking some other power to help or protect someone. everything has its own power and will so it makes sense to ask things others would call "inanimate" to do something for someone, whether talking about the rocks or the wing. generaly isnt anything formal - like if you visit someone, they might give you a blessing upon entry, sometimes just to protect you or other times protect themselves or lot of times both, or when you are passing someone you know by, they might give you one in greeting or when you leave them. 

another is dílis which is faith or steadfast. we generaly think of it as being completely loyal to your family and that includes extended, not just nuclear, and family is very important here. betraying your family is one of the worst things you coulld do and can get you shunned until you make amends to say the least. it means more than that though, as it also refers to being loyal to your positions in everything you do. that of course doesnt mean dont ever change your views but for the beliefs you have right now, make sure you stick with them and apply them to everything you do or else its a form of dishonesty, being inconsistent. 

At the moment, not at length.

The ideas of friluftsliv and shinrin-yoku are similar to the scouting movement (the predecessor to the Boy and Girl Scouts) the late 19th and early 20th centuries here in America. A lot of nations that participated in the scouting movement shared a similar mentality of retreating to the great outdoors and the idea is not dead by any means. Also, if you take a look at the popularity and livelihood of outdoor recreation stores like Cabelas or REI, there is a strong current of outdoorsmanship, even in the deep city.

There are problems with our relationship to the outdoors in modern culture, to be sure. I can't find the source, so you'll have to bear with me, but the average roaming range covered by children has drastically reduced within the last thirty years. Kids used to roam neighborhoods within about two miles from home but that has fallen as sharply as three quarters of a mile. There are a number of causes for this shift: increased social violence, parental anxiety, indoor recreation (television & video games) are three of the most prominent. This shift also is evident in the frequency of individual camping trips annually - more people are going out but individually, they are traveling less. Much of it is economic, some of it is cultural. The shift isn't as predominant in small towns and rural communities, however.

This also does not account for the difference in urban/high density populations and small towns/low density populations. I'd be willing to bet dinner that the author of this article is from a large city on the eastern seaboard because out here in Flyover Country, it's an entirely different picture.

Kaizen, or continuous improvement, is also a concept in corporate America. I can't speak for every company out there but I carry a corporate motto card in my wallet and "continuous improvement" is one of eight objectives we're expected to aim for. And, yes, I've seen it in board meetings as well.

The others I can't address just yet but for everyone who has ever stripped down to pajamas as soon as they get home and crack open a bottle of wine, they have practiced hygge and Gemütlichkeit.

Jugaad is seen as well, especially in those who live a self-sufficient lifestyle.  A good example are those who live that type of lifestyle in Alaska. Nothing goes to waste!  Stock trailer break down?  Save it for something else.  Oh, I know! Let's make a milking shed so the cow and person milking don't have to stand/sit in the mud (from an episode of Alaska: The Last Frontier).

Others do it, too.  If you recycle old windows to make a green house, or plant veggies in an old, cast-iron bathtub or repair your horse fence with baling twine until you can afford the wood to fix it, or build furniture out of pallets, you are practicing jugaad, IMO.

I've read recently that Americans work some of the longest hours in the developed world. Combine that with two working parents, child rearing, and home responsibilities, there isn't much time left to appreciate nature and meet your own relaxation needs.

There is that, Ryrin.  Several years ago (shortly after we moved into our new house), I was feeling overwhelmed so I told the boys I was stepping outside for awhile.  I went and sat by our pond and watched the water ripple and the clouds go by overhead and it was wonderful.  My boys saw me sitting out by the pond and were worried there was something wrong so they called their dad . . . and then brought me the phone so he could make sure I was okay. 

My opportunities to do that are all too rare. Then again, I really should take the time to enjoy nature more often and recharge my batteries, even if it means putting off my To Do list for a bit longer. 

Hmmmmm... interesting stuff. The Dutch who are consistently rated among the highest in "happiness" or life satisfaction have a concept that sounds eerily similar to Hygge. It is called "Gezellig". It is very, very difficult to translate but it is basically what you described for "hygge".

It sort of means cosy but has elements of cheery, friendly, pleasant, togetherness(as you mentioned) and others depending on the context. And yes, it is used for many things ranging from gatherings, to weather, to people. It can be the warm, comfortable, and peaceful silence of a group sitting together around a campfire. But it can also be the jolly, loud, atmosphere at a party. It can refer to how it feels to watch snow falling while you are sitting together warm, and snug indoors. Or it can be the feeling you get while you're in the snow outside laughing as snowballs fly around. It can refer to walking together through a forest, enjoying the peace and quiet it brings. But it can also be a group of girls(or guys) out shopping together, talking with friends, and being a part of the city life.

It can honestly refer to a ridiculous number of different things... and the meaning changes slightly from context to context but it is always something positive and pleasant. The Dutch usually describe it as a sort of cosiness... but they always stress that there is much more to it, and that "cosy" isn't really a good translation at all. Some of them don't like to compare it to cosy, they just say that you'll learn or figure it out eventually.

It is indeed a beautiful concept... and I found it intriguing that both Denmark and the Netherlands had the concept. I'm now sure that there are other countries in the vicinity, and perhaps beyond that have a similar concept as well.

Edit: I was just reminded while looking it up... that gezellig can be used sarcastically in a more negative light. But yeah... feel free to look up the word. It may be an interesting read.

We have the exact same concept as the Dutch here in South Africa - it's called "gesellig" (which just shows how close Afrikaans is to Dutch :)).

You would say something like "ons kuier gesellig", translated literally as "we visit / get together and have a nice time". As Loran says, it need not be something cozy, like snuggling up under a blanket. It could be the whole family (cousins, aunties, uncles) going out for a braai (BBQ) and picnic over in Tokai Forest, with the kids running around playing rugby or cricket and the men standing around the fire and drinking beers, while the women lounge in picnic chairs and chat.

• 2 weeks later...

Jugaad is seen as well, especially in those who live a self-sufficient lifestyle.  A good example are those who live that type of lifestyle in Alaska. Nothing goes to waste!  Stock trailer break down?  Save it for something else.  Oh, I know! Let's make a milking shed so the cow and person milking don't have to stand/sit in the mud (from an episode of Alaska: The Last Frontier).

Others do it, too.  If you recycle old windows to make a green house, or plant veggies in an old, cast-iron bathtub or repair your horse fence with baling twine until you can afford the wood to fix it, or build furniture out of pallets, you are practicing jugaad, IMO.

That is exactly what jugaad is.

Normally, in everyday conversation, jugaad is more often used fortemporary solutions rather than permanent ones but there is no reason that it can't be permanent. 

Friluftsliv is important in Sweden as well. It can be just being in the nature, taking a walk in the forest or go swimming in the sea. For others it means camping, canoeing, skiing or hiking in the mountains. What is special in Sweden and Norway (and also in Finland and Iceland) is that we have "allemansrätt". That means that anyone is free to go through and temporary stay in private land. As long as you are considerate to the owners, other people, animals and the nature, you can pick berries and mushrooms or camp. Friluftsliv for many people is to pick mushrooms, lingonberries or blueberries. 

As the cities grow and we get more poor people, there are many people these days that never visit nature. For most of us it´s close to a forest, a lake or the sea but some never leave the suburbs. 

I lived in Norway for a short time and I noticed that friluftsliv is even more common there. Even if you live in the capital it´s very close to the nature. It´s common to hike or skii all weekend even with small kids. It´s no wonder that they have the best skiiers in the world. 

Archived