DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY
Elgee

Roll Call for Jan 2015 - ALL members please read the 1st post and take the Poll !

Randland vs Mainland - see map in Opening Post  

33 members have voted

1. 1. What is Mainland?

• The main continent which we first knew about, INcluding the Blight, Waste, Seafolk Islands & Shara
    • The main continent which we first knew about, INcluding the Blight, Waste, & Seafolk Islands, EXcluding Shara
    • The main continent which we first knew about, INcluding the Blight & Waste, EXcluding Seafolk Islands & Shara
    • The main continent which we first knew about, EXcluding the Blight, Waste, Seafolk Islands & Shara (see map in OP)
    • Something else (explain)
  2. 2. What is Randland?

• The whole planet on which the WoT takes places
    • All the bits of the planet which we've heard about
    • The main continent which we first knew about, INcluding the Blight, Waste, Seafolk Islands & Shara
    • Option 2, 3 or 4 above (explain)
    • Something else (explain)

Chae

and that was a tough one :D

not as we know it and not in the present - an age long past, an age yet to come.

this earth in circular time.

there are too many references to actual historical earth events, like Glenn and the eagle and moon flight, and Moscow with its nuclear lances of fire, and a hundred other references you can find at places like thirteenth depository.

but I never had a doubt that the wheel of time occurs on our earth in a different point in time.

Yes, we all know that. The Randland / Mainland which we always refer to, is what we call the location/age/particular space in time which is when/where the WoT books during the time of Rand al'Thor are set.

Since it's a bit long-winded to ask someone "if you could live in the location/age/circumstances/particular space in time which is when/where the WoT books during the time of Rand al'Thor are set, would you?", many of us have shortened it to "If you could live in Randland, would you?" :wink:

oh yes I see.

then I'd say randland is either the world rand knew of at the start of the books, or it's the whole world at that time.

and RJ left so much out... he could have made this so much clearer.

Aniere - Initiate

I choose Other on the Randland ordeal because I haven't been a part of the fandom long enough to form opinions like that (this is the first time I'm even hearing about it). I'll just go with whatever!

Meridian - Initiate

I think Randland would be all the territory that Rand captured or brought into alliance with himself.

So what would you call the planet on which the Wheel of Time series takes place?

Hmmm...as it was never named in the books it never really occurred to me to call the planet anything. >.<

Hiarth, here, coming to you from behind a wall of sluggishness.  Hurr, hurr.

Part of the problem for me in defining the Mainland would be from whose perspective?  If we're talking about the primary characters as they leave the Two Rivers, there is nothing else _but_ Andor with the Dark One and his band of Merry Aielmen lurking about behind closed doors.  If we're talking about a traveled man like Thom or a wordly Aes Sedai like Moraine, the mainland is something else entirely because the Sea Folk and Aiel both interact with the countries of the West much in the same way that medieval Europe knew about and traded with China and the Middle East.

I guess, for simplicity's sake, everything west of the Spine and south of the Blight constitutes whatever collective Westland cultural experience has while the Aiel and the Sea Folk are Strange Neighbors.  The powers of the Westlands know about the Aiel and the Sea Folk and regular interactions inform a parallel to our medieval Known World - we knew other people existed out there but the specifics were hazy.  There was bound to be a cultural collision between the Aiel and the Westland but they wouldn't fall under the mainland category because of their seclusion.  The Seanchan empire does not exist at all in the mindset of the Westland until their invasion, so they definitely do not fall under the mainland heading.

As for the Blight?  I don't really have a frame of reference for that except for whatever dread we experienced regarding the Black Death - a disease is a disease.  It affects the way people live but I don't know how to categorize a plague culture.  So definitely maybe possible part of the mainland.  Maybe I'll have a better idea after the zombie apocalypse - come ask me then.

What do we call the world?  I dunno.  We never got much more than "the world."  Randland is just an indicator that we're talking about these countries in this setting.

Edited by Hiarthbeorn

I am the great Senexx, Aes Sedai of the Brown Ajah & I cannot see a map but I have voted & my answers currently seem the most popular.

I hesitated on whether Randland was the entire planet as we do not know if the prophecies impacted the entire planet or whether there are areas unknown to us where they are all irrelevant.  However since it is a fictional land that we know primarily because of Rand I included the world.

How are you still an accepted??!?!?!???!?

Great indecision between my two favorite ajahs :laugh:

How are you still an accepted??!?!?!???!?

Great indecision between my two favorite ajahs :laugh:

Aaahhh that would explain it *grins*

PM me if you need a sounding board or advice or cookies.

Dawn - accepted.

I always thought there were 3 continents - Mainland, Seanchan, and The Land of Madmen. Randland is the entire world. Mainland includes the Waste and Shara.