DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Any parts of book 10-11 worth reading? (plot advancement)

Slinx

Haven't fully read either of these books, I've usually just skipped around and read the Mat chapters.

I like Perrin, but since he went nuts over Faile, he's not worth reading too much.

Rand doesn't seem to have too much interaction in these books, so are any parts worth reading?

I'm not a fan of Elayne's Andor whinings, that's taken up too much book space, so unless its actually required for plot advancement, any chapters of hers worth reading?

Egwene's are even longer and more boring than Elayne's, so is there a chapter worthwhile?

Nyneave, I could probably just skip her totally, unless required.

Elaida/non main character Aes Sedai, Seanchan, Aiel women POVs I could probably skip as well unless required.

I guess, all in all, the thread title is probably the most apt.

Yes.

Book 10 - ALL of Rand (The whole two chapters).

Book 10 - Perrin - Building up to important things in book 11

Book 10 - Mat, just because he is damn awesome

Book 11 - Rand - Damn important.

Book 11 - Perrin builds up an alliance with the Seanchan and breaks the Shaido - Important

Book 11 - Mat because he is damn awesome.

Book 10-11 for Elayne, Egwene, Nynaeve, still moderately important. I personally wouldn't skip any of it.

Slinx, if you want people to take your opinions about the books serieously, than I suggest you read the whole book, not just selected bits here and there. Whilst some of the chapters may not be to your liking, if they had no impact on the story, RJ would hardly have written them.

Exactly, there is way more to a book than the main storyline. Not everything has a direct relation to the main plot of a series. The Wheel of Time series has one of the most extensive series of subplots. I personally love them all. I admit Elayne's Andor stuff gets kind of boring sometimes, but the other subplots are very interesting. I love Egwene's portion in KoD. It is probably one of my favorite parts of the series. Mat is freaking awesome in the last two books. Perrin getting Faile back is a great part of the series.

Just read through them both.

definitely read book 11. I was kind of soured on WoT in general, but KoD reinvigorated my interest. it might be my favorite book in the series so far. atm I'm rereading all of the books and there is so much I missed the first time.

anyway, that was rambly, read all of book 11.

If all the characters were entertaining then I wouldn't have to skip around. :)

If Elayne, Egwene and Nyneave didn't drone on all the time, then I wouldn't be so tired of them while considering a re-read of the first nine books.

I'm just burned out on having my favorite characters having so few chapters in which they actually did something as compared to Elayne's boring Andor campaign.

Essentially, I guess I'm asking if the last two books are worth picking up.

Maybe I'll just take up watching paint dry.

No wonder you feel the books are unsatisfying if you skip whole sections. The books must feel like a mess to you if you really only read bits and pieces of books that are 650 pages in length. When you follow that approach, do you even understand why anything at all is happening?

From when I was younger I remember people who would skip cutscenes in story-based computer games because they were "boring". This strikes me as some of the same. Anyway, if you want to discuss the books here, I suggest you actually read them. This seems like a pointless exercise to me.

I've read the books multiple times in whole, so I know the story, but I feel that the chapters are boring in the latest ones.

Maybe if Jordan spaced apart the points of view so it's 20 pages at a time and then we see things from another character instead of 80+ pages straight of Egwene and the like.

The first books were good because the action involved was worth the read, the newer ones seem to be like watching C-Span at 1/10 the speed.

If you are not satisfied with book 11, i would seriously recomend dropping the entire series for good. I'll admit the chapters in WoT can be excessive. The prequel in KoD is longer than some books! Game of Thrones by RR Martin has nice short chapters but if you can't stand the whole Elayne and Egwene plot threads, you might hate that book too.

I personally feel your pain...

I read them all, but I thought book 9 and 10 just dragged on with no real significant changes except for the last chapter of each.

Then I read book 11 (KoD) and Hot Damm! It was on again! All the action and plot advancement and lose ends being tied up I had been hoping for. Book 11 is a MUST read, all the way through.

I got the audiobooks and started going through the series again, and after reading (listening) to book 9 (WH) again, and "Whoa!!!"

A lot of things I thought were a waste of time in book 9 were preludes, introductions and vital hints to things that got tied together in book 11.

I have yet to reread book 10, but looking back now, I'm sure I'll find more of the same: Stuff that bored me and I labored through that, looking back, was very important to the story development by book 11... And we still have another to go.

to sum up: Read them all... then go back and just read the "Mat" parts. (Lots of good ones in KoD where Mat finally gets the respect he deserves).

Actually, I'm a big fan of the Martin series, and even though I find Dany boring, I'd rather read her stuff 10x in a row than 80+ pages of Egwene and Elayne.

Martin's 4th book was decent even though the main leads weren't involved, but still it can annoy you that you wait some odd years for a plot and then the book takes a boring tangent, which is how I see all the focus on Egwene's 'rebellion', Elayne's campaign, and whatever Nyneave does when she isn't pulling her hair.

It's like watching a war movie and then suddenly the movie turns into a bird watching documentary with the main characters not having much involvement.

The Circle should be shot for plaguing the world.

Archived