DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Near death experiences?

Dionysus

Anyone here had any near death experiences?

I came fairly close today. I was pouring a foundation (concrete) today and the extension cord that the vibrator was plugged into didnt have the ground wire, and it was zapping me nicely for about 45-60 seconds before someone finally unplugged it. Worst part was that I was on top of a 15 foot wall but I somehow managed to stay on top of it. Had to spend 10 hours in the hospital because I had slight muscle damage in my hands from clenching onto the vibrator so they wanted to make sure there was no damage to my heart.

Luckily everything turned out okay, still gave me a nice little scare, and I get tomorrow off as well :)

Guest Majsju

Couple of years ago I was out surfing, and accidently fell (Ok, I'm not a very good surfer). The board hit me in the head hard enough to make me pass out. I came to a few seconds later, to find myself under the water. If I had taken a bit longer to wake up, I would probably have drowned, as the closest person I could see was several hundred meters away.

my fiancee made me watch "Memoirs of a Geisha" last week. I had the water poured and was going to get the toaster when I realized I still had some whiskey that I could drink instead.

Does that count?

I'm sorry, I couldn't help it.

Guest Egwene

Dionysus... glad you're here to tell the tale! Obviously the same for everyone else.

Spacey... I am curious... why did you not breathe for more than four minutes?

Myself, had a few near misses whilst driving, one very near miss in a multiple pile up, where the only reason I got away was that the two cars in front of me literally shunted a gap free through which I squeezed... but no 'tunnel' experiences ot the like...

I believe I've already told this story a couple of times on this website, but I don't mind telling it again.

While my mother was pregnant with me she had the flu (which probably lead to some complecations). After my birth everything was fine and I was sent home. Not an hour after I got home, my parents noticed I was not moving. They called the doctor (who at that time would show up to your house) and she figured out that I was having a heart attack. She rushed me to the hospital and FORCED the doctors to take care of me right away. According to my father I was legally dead at the time, and died 14 more times.

In the end I survived the heart attack with a faulty valve, and the loss of most of the feeling in my right leg. I also have to see the doctor once a year now at the hospital (use to be twice a year but the doctors are letting me off now because they're not afraid of complectations).

That's the closest to death I've ever been not counting everytime I've been in a car. :)

Grr... I had one or two in my day. Various hazards around the house type stuff. Got into a car accident this weekend actually, that was pretty... different... Damn rain :P

But I will share two stories with you guys.

One night, in Camp Dogwood, between Al Fallujah and Baghdad, I watched a UH-60 (Blackhawk Helicopter) tumble out of the sky within meters of our tents, smash into the ground, shoot shrapnel and bodies all about before coming to a rest a bit down the road. That was somewhat intimidating.

And most notably:

(edit)I had a whole story typed into this block but it just doesn't give it justice you know? I will just say that some things happen that can never be recreated, or explained adaquately. Some things you will never understand from a message board, or from the news.

You have to feel it, and smell it, and taste it. You have to be humbled by it. Some see that in the ocean I guess, but there are some people who have felt that in the hatred others have shown them. In the shear power that some ordanance can unleash. In realizing just how truely far your body can go.

Somedays, the only comfort I get is from being surrounded by people who have shared that with me. Those that can share the burden of the memories of those that where a little less lucky.

For those of you who understand, well... Then you know what I mean even though I did a horrible job at explaining myself.

And for those who don't, you probably think I am mentally unstable :P *runs away while he can*

• Community Administrator

Well... lets see..

when I was between 1 month and 1.5 years old I was cuddled up in my crib. I had somehow or another managed to roll around in it enough, causing the blanket to wrap around my face enough to prevent me from breathing... The Family cat woke my mother up via scratching, It ended up running back and forth between her and my crib several times, confuzzling my mother. When she finally went to my crib she found that I had turned blue.... Had the cat not did that I'd have been a walking corpse today.

Other then that.. Mostly near misses...

A few years ago, riding bike to school, I've been nearly hit 8 times... I basically had to cross a free-way/interstate type thing.. *4 lanes, 2 going one way, the other 2 the other, then 2 more lanes coming to form a type of a T or a Y, in which those 2 lanes, one turned right, one left... Well the people turning right had a 98% chance of only looking left when they turned not right. So..... Bikeing, when they are looking left, and turning at same time = bad. *stupid people driving!* 6 of the 8 times, the car came within mere centimeters of my rear tire. 2 of them I ended up breaking just in time not to get hit.

Then there was that one day I was walking home... For some reason I was thinking about WoT, and said "shai'tan" out loud... a millisecond later I nearly got hit by a car!!

Talk about coincidences.

let's say.... nope. we only get along marginally if we don't spend more than one day a week together. granted, had she not come up from behind me both times... she was usually the one crawling or limping away. also the one who likes to start the fight. also, the only person i have ever felt the need to physically hurt.

funny how it often works out that way. we never pulled steel on each other, but my brother and i got in any number of dustups, way more than all other fights i've ever been in combined.

no offense, but she doesn't sound real cool. i've been a dink to my brother, and vice versa, but still...

brave to name the Dark One? or foolish. Watch out, Sinister, nyneave will clout you good.

i've had close calls myself, but i really wouldn't call them near-death experiences.

the closest was one time when the stimulants were a little too stimulating, and i went places, well, where i wasn't quite ready to go yet. pulled myself back, but it took months to get over the whole thing. not cool. that's about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Surprisingly, considering the short amount of time I have been on this earth, I have almost died a few times.

There was the time in spain when I ran with the bulls and some guy behind me kicked my shoe off, I almost fell and when I turned to give him a piece of my mind I saw him tripping and as he fell I saw the bull that was behind him. The guy got trampled and I ran like hell (even though I was down to only 1 shoe.)

I was hit by a car while driving my vespa this winter break. Some crazy person decided to make a u-turn in front of me starting from the right hand lane (we weren't even at an intersection). Needless to say, I hit the side of her car doing 45+ and flipped over the hood of her car before making contact with the pavement. Luckily, the only injury was to my pride, and my big toe, ended up having a compound fracture there.

Finally, one day at wedge, (surfspot in southern california) my friend and I went out thinking it was a good 6-8ft day. After paddling out we found out that the waves we had seen were not during a set, and that they were in fact 12-15ft that day. After recieving what was the pummeling of a life time we both made it in to shore safely, though I think I still have sand permanantly lodged in my colon.

I too had a near death/death experience...but I've noticed that noone here talks about what happened to them or what they experienced during the incident.

When I was about 5 years old I went with a friend of my mom's to a campground. Myself and two little girls (belonging to my mom's friend) were playing in the river and I slipped on a rock under the surface. I was clinically dead (no heartbeat, no breathing) for about 4-6 minutes. (memory is fuzzy since I was only 5...LOL) When I came to I was already in the hospital and my mom was already there. Withing a few hours I had fully recovered and was running around looking for other people in the hospital because I was bored.

During the experience though, when I was bobbing up and down in the water I remember starting to black out I guess, and when everything went dark, I remember seeing a:

Cross

Sword

Dagger

(take your pick depending on your religious affiliation or lack thereof)

glowing in my mind's eye.

I told my mom about it later and she said that it was God protecting me and telling me I would be alright and that I was spared true death because there was a greater purpose to my life.

At 30 years old I still don't know if that was the truth or not. Only time will tell. But I'm sure glad that I was able to hold on to that memory all these years. It's helped me through some hard times.

And I'm DEFINATELY glad to be alive...LOL.

Now if I can just get through these years (15 so far) of living with being HIV positive (still asymptomatic w/ no meds yet) with the same kind of help and positivity (no pun intended...LMAO) I think I'll be OK.

I know this is a different topic...but I gotta say....I CAN'T WAIT FOR AMoL TO COME OUT DANGIT!!!

Have I had a near death experience? Yes, and so have you - every night.

Why do all our spiritual teachers make death so complicated? The dream world is the next world – we visit it every night and go there permanently when we die. The dream world is the real world and being awake is the true dream.

Have you ever had a dream that seemed so real it was more real that being awake?

Well now you know why.

Archived