DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Great Hunt Hardcover

Airia

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I have a terrible problem right now with my copies of The Great Hunt (hardcover).

I bought the books 1-3 in paperback, and I liked the series so much I decided Im going to get them all in hardcover and start a good fantasy book collection.

For about 2 months now Ive been buying books off amazon. To save a few dollars, Ive been buying them used.

So far, I have books 1-5 in hardcover.

My problem is, my books for The Great Hunt, is about 3/4 the size of the rest of the books.

The first order I placed for The Great Hunt came, and even though the description said 'Very Good', it was a nasty used library copy with markings and was so far worn it almost fell apart in my hands. I assumed this was a library binding of that book.

Well, I went back on Amazon, ordered another copy used, and it was a much better copy, still the same size as the other one.

The ISBN of both books read: 0312851405

Have I gotten another library copy or is The Great Hunt only published in this smaller size?

Might compare/contrast the books with copies at physical stores.

When I order books (online or physical store), they are generally new copies.  Only time I order used books is when new copies are unavailable.

Also, I seldom order both paperback and hardcover of any book I order.

edit::  the main time I reorder any book is when words begin to fade and/or when pages come loose.

It sounds like you have a Doubleday Book Club Edition, or perhaps a SFBC (Science Fiction Book Club) Edition.  I wasn't even sure that those were printed in those editions, but I cannot think of what else it can be.  Book Club Editions tend to be about 3/4 the size of normal hardcovers, and while most do not have an ISBN, some DO have the same ISBN as the original hardback editions.

Getting two in a row is weird though...are you sure you're not ta'veren yourself? ;)

Rest assured, TGH does come in a normal size hardcover.  I own one myself.  Oddly enough, I do remember that one being somewhat tricky to get way back when.  I know you were buying them used to save money, but I do know that the normal hardcover is still in print, and is at least available to order through B&N.

Hello everyone, this is my first post and I have a terrible problem right now with my copies of The Great Hunt (hardcover).

I bought the books 1-3 in paperback, and I liked the series so much I decided Im going to get them all in hardcover and start a good fantasy book collection.

For about 2 months now Ive been buying books off amazon. To save a few dollars, Ive been buying them used.

So far, I have books 1-5 in hardcover.

My problem is, my books for The Great Hunt, is about 3/4 the size of the rest of the books.

The first order I placed for The Great Hunt came, and even though the description said 'Very Good', it was a nasty used library copy with markings and was so far worn it almost fell apart in my hands. I assumed this was a library binding of that book.

Well, I went back on Amazon, ordered another copy used, and it was a much better copy, still the same size as the other one.

The ISBN of both books read: 0312851405

Have I gotten another library copy or is The Great Hunt only published in this smaller size?

I have dozens of the books in hardback and some of the earlier ones in first editions were a little smaller than the later full sized books.  Those that are regular size I believe are later printings.  Check inside the front cover, first few pages will have a string of numbers at the bottom of the publisher's page and edition to show what printing.  If is has 1-9 it is first, they erase a number with each reprint so if you have a 2-10 or a 3-11 or something like that it is a later printing.

So far I have gotten lucky.

Ive got books 1-5 and book 9 came in yesterday. Books 6,7,8 and 10 will be here Tuesday.

I decided to keep the smaller copies of tGH. The 2nd copy I got had no dust jacket but the book was immaculate. So I took the terrible other copy, pulled the dust jacket and found it had been sealed in plastic and actually was in good condition and I just moved it to the good copy hardback book.

So far, I think my copies of fires of heaven and winters heart are first edition first printings? I took some pictures. I only paid $5 for each and they are in mint condition. Are they first edition, first prints?

fh1.jpg

wh1.jpg

Archived