DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

I need help.

Niniel

It´s the computer again. This time my work pc, which is really bad. 

A few weeks ago I started to get a lot of pop up windows. I managed to get rid of them quite easily. Now I have another problem. 

1. When I start internet I come to google.com, because that is what I have choosen. But now I get another window with Yahoo! as well. I have no idea how it got there. 

2. Some days when I try to use google it says that they can´t get in contact with my proxyserver. I didn´t know I had one.

3. I get black windows that blinks a little now and then. It goes so fast that I can´t read them.

Is it virus? What can I do to get rid of it? Please answer here or send me a PM. Thanks in advance. 

Sounds like a malicious browser extension got installed to me. Which browser do you use?

If you know how to check your extensions already check them and see if there's anything weird that you didn't intentionally install in there.

If so uninstall. If not then I'm not too sure...maybe try switching browsers or restoring your computer from a backup.

If it's an extension you go to the top right of your browser and click the three lines below the X.

A menu pops open, go to Settings. On the left of the window that pops up there's an option that says Extensions. Click it.

You'll see a list of extensions you have installed. If you don't recognize or don't want what's there click the trashcans and it uninstalls them.

Then you exit your browser so it can restart and open it up again.

If you're still having problems or there's no extensions that seem malicious/you don't recognize then the problem is probably a virus in which case your best option is restoring a backup from your computer. 

Thanks again. I checked and I had no extensions. I reverted the system two month back. (Not sure of the English name.) I used the internet and was so happy to see no Yahoo or black windows. But then I started to get a lot of ad pop ups again. Tried to remove them like last time but it didn't work.

I can't find a way to do a virus scan. I'm used to Avast but this is something else. *sigh* I'll let my work take care of it. :(

Good news. My laptop had no virus and the problems have been fixed. I will get it back on Monday.

More good news. All of the teachers at my school got an I-Pad today. Yay! It's for work but we are allowed to take them home. :)

For future reference, trendmicro's housecall is very useful.  http://housecall.trendmicro.com/

Often viruses will be purposely designed to hide from programs on the computer, namely virus scanners.  Because trendmicro housecall can do a virus scan remotely using javascript (I think it uses javascript) it can often be more effective for already infected computers.

Archived