DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

[Red Ajah] Cultural Exchange Activity

Mystica

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Mine is getting held up a bit due to crazy events this week (namely, hubby's car accident yesterday and the stuff we have to handle because of it -- paperwork, rental car, emptying our van before our insurer hauls it away probably never to be seen again . . . *sobs* . . . etc.) but I'll work on getting it together this weekend.  :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

Everyone who didn't participate, be very jealous - we've started receiving our presents from other cultures!

I received this from Ryrin, all the way from California:

071.jpg

073.jpg

075.jpg

I love how Ry managed to marry her ideas of what represents her culture, with my interests in art and information presented in a humorous fashion!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm sorry, Meridian. It's especially tricky when your workplace is involved.

I got Elgee's stuff today, all the way from South Africa!

There are cards with beautiful pictures on them and on the back Elgee described where they are, where she lived, went to school, the beaches her family went to etc.! South Africa is breathtakingly gorgeous! I have a 2015 calendar too with more SA pics.

There is a pamphlet for the West Coast Fossil Park and the things they offer, trails, birdwatching, tours, museum center, kiddies park and of course a coffee shop. :). On the back is a map and Elgee marked where she lived with her family.

I sent her a link once to my favorite meat shop once and she sent me some advertisements from a grocery store there. I saw that they sell "pork Texan steak" and "Karoo Wors." I'll have to ask what that is. There is something that looks like butter or margerine and it's called "Medium Fat Spread" an apt description. I noted the "Mango & Orange" drink too.

There was something wrapped in plastic. Lol, I thought it was a cigar but it's an Ogier pencil. There was a nice note just for me.

I'll post pics soon. I'm having some trouble with my photobucket.

The two people who live the farthest from each other got their gifts first. :D

Oh awesome! I was so worried that it wouldn't get there!

I simply HAD to send that advert, when I saw the mango drink ... lol

Karoo wors is a type of Boerewors, named after the region (the Karoo) where that specific recipe is from . Boerewors is a local type of sausage, which traditionally is made from any kind of meat you can lay your hands on, so usually a mixture of beef, pork, game and even mutton or goat. It's BBQ'ed on the fire, for best result.

Medium fat spread is probably margerine, or cooking margerine.

Archived