DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ren'Shai Space Event: TV Shows and Movies

Aiel Heart

There have been a plethora of movies and shows related to space. 

To name a few:

Star Trek (all of them)

Stargate

Star Wars

Alien (sort of)

There are also others like Apollo 13 which are meant to be a little more realistic and not sci-fi.

A few prompting questions

What do you think of these shows? Have you watched any of them? Which were your favorites? What did you think of the technology? The aliens? Do you mind that some of them are totally unrealistic? Any shows or movies that I missed that you want to discuss? 

Have at it!

So, in working for the Astronomy department, I had a lot of discussions about Star Wars and Star Trek in particular, and whether things like Warp Speed, Lightsabers or any of that could exist. There was actually a project done where someone calculated, given certain parameters, whether Yoda physics-ally could have been able to lift Luke's X-wing (the conclusion was no). However, in Star Wars, ships such as the X-wing and the little ships used by the Empire could have actually worked. 

Will babble more later.

I loved the new Star Trek movies!  The old ones don't really stick out in my mind as "OMG those were amazing!"  What I learned from the original TV series: Don't go on an away mission if you wear a red shirt.  Kirk is going to dally with a beautiful alien. Scotty is going to exclaim "I'm giving you all she's got, Jim!"  McCoy is going to testily tell Kirk, "Dammit, Jim, I'm a doctor, not a __________."  Spock is going to quirk his eyebrow and tell someone they are being illogical.  I did like Deep Space 9, TNG and Voyager.  The music (theme) for Voyager was amazing!  I saw some of the Stargate but never got submerged in it to the point I HAD to watch it.  I did NOT like Alien.

Technology: I can't see how a transporter could possibly reassemble all of a person's matter back into a recognizable and functioning shape but it would be cool if it actually was possible.

Other movies or series:  Many many years ago as a kid I loved the original Battlestar Galactica.  Starbuck, Athena, Cassiopeia, Apolla, Adama . . . oh and Boomer!  I could not get into the new Battlestar.  I did NOT like Invasion of the Body Snatchers.  *shudders*  Or Aliens.  *shudders again*

nevre seen star trek beyond sometimes saw friend watching it, nevre seen star gate, i have seen star wars, and i love alien and aliens (because their horror films and i like those). most of space films ive seen were horrorr films, such as galaxy of terror, planet of th vampires, pitch black, the thing (thogh guess doesnt realy have to do with space othre than thing comees from somewhere else), dead space, that one helraiser film that was for some resons in space, screamers (i think thatt was on anothre planet but i havent seen it in years) and other things. 

havent seen enogh of star trek to realy say anything, but i am not realy fan of star wars. the old ones weree i guess kind of neat, especialy efects, but news ones were mostlly awful, too much cgi and bad actors. alien i thinkk is horror film masterpiece but dont really hav much comment on it abuot space stuff. aliens was mosttly just fun to watch, wasnt realy as much horror. 

So, in working for the Astronomy department, I had a lot of discussions about Star Wars and Star Trek in particular, and whether things like Warp Speed, Lightsabers or any of that could exist. There was actually a project done where someone calculated, given certain parameters, whether Yoda physics-ally could have been able to lift Luke's X-wing (the conclusion was no). However, in Star Wars, ships such as the X-wing and the little ships used by the Empire could have actually worked.

i am in no way shape or form star war's fannatic but iv just a little thought about the films is enough to question logic behind such calculation. the force, evn when yuo acept the thing in the new films that made it more stuipid, midichhlorines or some crap, is clearlly a metaphysicall/supernatural element, and im pretty sure i remember the film where yoda made that plane lift well enogh to know that he used force to lift it, didnt lift it physicaly himself. i wouldnt know how physics woulld have been to calculate that at all then - wuold be like using physics to try to calculate how many gods does iit take to destroy one planet, supernatural elements are outsidde explanation of physics (hence the name super (above) natural). unles they jjust made up some system to quantify the force, which of cuorse is huge problem and obviusly says nothing meaningfull because its as arbitrary as you can get, or they literally used whatts define as "force" in physics, which of cuorse is huge problem because the force in star wars is obviously not "force" in physics.

• Elgee locked this topic

Archived