DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Chimney Duty (Attn: Cass/ Eb/ Thayetta)

Sherper

“A moment, please… Accepted,” came the voice of a familiar Novice as a young women timidly rimmed the plate she held in her hand. Ellisha rolled her eyes and sighed, putting down the book she had been reading to look over at the initiate.
    “What is it this time Kareena,” she gave the woman a flat stare and her lips drew to an even flatter line as she listened to the Novice explain her problem.
   “The chimney, Accepted, I think it’s… it’s… ”
   “Oh for heaven’s sake, girl. Split it out.” Ellisha was getting rather annoyed with her current assignment. Now she knew why so many Accepted moaned about having to take over supervision of the Novices. The Mistress of the Kitchen was out of the Tower today, for light knows what business that woman had out of the Tower, and so an Accepted had to be taken away from her busy schedule to go watch the Novices – to make sure they don’t accidently kill themselves. It wasn’t really physically demanding, but it sure as hell was boring.
Daes Dae’mar for Dummies lay propped open on her lap, and that had only helped mediate her boredom.
     The Novices, who was still standing in front of her – face a mask of red concentration, took a deep breath, letting her chest fill up with oxygen as if readying to jump in front of an Ox cart, then yelled, as loud as she could; “THE CHIMNEY HAS BEEN FILLED WITH CHARCOAL, ACCEPTED. CAN ACCEPTED PLEASE COME HELP US UNCLOG THE CHIMNEY.”
The Novice let everything out of her in one gigantic whoosh of air and volume, making Ellisha nearly jump out of her seat in fright. Decorum was quickly restored, but not before a frantic few seconds of scrambling back on to her seat.
   “Badger’s foot, Woman! Could you have said that any louder?”
     The Novice took another deep breath, as if intending to take up on Ellisha’s challenge, forcing the brown haired Accepted to climb to her feet and put a hand on the girl’s mouth.  
    “Alright, alright, you’ve made your point! I’m coming now, light preserve.”
Dumping the book on the bench beside her, she noticed a small gathering of white clad Novices and stomped towards them.  
    “Right then, who’s the idiot that got the flaming chimney clogged?” She glared and some of the Novices who had gathered in a ring to watch, quickly parted ways for her.
   “Oh really, that’s just flaming fantastic.”
She glared at the form of a young woman who wore what used to resemble a Novice’s dress.
   “An explanation, if you please. And it better be a good one.”

~ Ellisha Falwein
Accepted of the White Tower

• 2 weeks later...

A quick glance at the angry Accepted had Thayetta hastily returning her gaze to the ground beside her feet. Ellisha Falwein; the name of the Accepted bubbled up inside her brain, and Thayett filed it away forever, beside the burning image of an exceptionally angry face.

“…I … um… I…” She didn’t have to look up again to know the Accepted was annoyed enough to almost explode. Thayett could feel the angry stare burning a hole right through her skin.

“...I..“ She tried to talk, she truly did, but surrounded and overwhelmed as she was, words failed her.

Her bright blue eyes smarted with tears – tears that threatened to spill over, outing the melange of overwhelming emotions she was trying her very best to keep concealed: fear of the older girl; embarrassment at the stares and judgement and whispers of the crowd gathered around her; shame and guilt and shock at the horror of what she had done.

Image after image flittered across her vision and her mind: the book she had been reading (‘Drawing on the Power: Warming to the Flame’ ) erupting into an angry pile of ash and fire in her hands; the fireplace, full of smoke and the start of a bigger fire; the cloud of smoke and ash and charcoal that had enveloped her when she'd tried to save the book; the angry Accepted-almost-Aes Sedai...

She shuddered a little and drew a tiny breath, willing herself to keep it all together.

“I channelled,” she said, and burst into tears.

Ellisha rolled her eyes. Great. She breathed, letting the sound fill the now quiet room. She glanced towards the other Novices, who watched with intent frightful eyes – as one probably would if a bear had wondered into the room and they weren’t particularly sure what it planned to do. She allowed the silence to foster for a moment; a part of her secretly enjoying the experience of toying with Novices. After all, only a few years back she had been the one on the receiving end of those angry stares.
     “All of you,” she barked, and the collective ring of Novices had a moment of synchronised jumping. “Back to work.” They obeyed without missing a beat, the twenty or so girls scattering like snow pedals as they returned to their respective tasks. Now to deal with this one, she thought as she returned her gaze back to the trouble-maker. Thayett.
      The girl was still crying, though she no longer wailed – only emitting the occasional sob from the back of a dampened dress sleave.
“Stop crying.” She ordered, and the girl obeyed, be it with evident difficulty.
“I’m… s..sorry, Acc..c-” the girl began, and to Ellisha’s surprise she found herself warming up to the woman.
     “Oh don’t do that,” she lowered her voice, giving the Novices in closest proximity a furtive glance to make sure they weren’t listening in.
“You don’t think anyone who’s walked herself into a bloody shawl has channelled whilst not under supervision? I know, girl.” She continued, staring into a pair of blood rimmed eyes which now looked up at her with an expression of curiosity. “How tempting it is to feel the source; Saidar flowing through your veins, and I don’t blame you.” Hell, I’ve channelled more times in the garden than I care to count as a Novice. “The important thing is, you don’t bawl like a five year the first instant you get caught. Now,” she said, straightening until she was once again standing at her full height. “I’ll have to make a show of scolding you, else the others will start talking.”
     She cleared her throat, forcing her face to adopt a look that demanded the obedience of the storms itself. “How dare you, you insolent fool!” She screamed. “How dare you disobey the Tower and its sacred traditions?” The Novices around her shied away, a few eyes popping open with looks of absolute terror. “You foolish girl, you stupid girl! You’ve endangered the lives of everyone here. Not only do you put yourself at risk of being burned out, you could have killed everyone in this room!” Thayett raised a hand to shield her face and Ellisha realised she had unconsciously embraced the source whilst on her verbal ramage – the glow of Saidar surrounding her in an aura of bright yellow light. “Apologize.” She hissed, letting the words slivering and chill.
     “I’m sorry Accepted! I’m sorry, I’m so sorry!”  Either the Novice was a superb actor, or the girl was somehow still terrified of Ellisha’s improvised scolding – even knowing it was all an act. In any case, she felt it was sufficient to satisfy the occasion. She turned towards the rest of the Kitchen.
“Did I tell any of you to stop?” She barked as she saw twenty motionless faces with mouths hanging half open. They immediately went back to scrubbing, washing and drying.
     After a few minutes, Ellisha allowed the tiniest flicker of a smile to touch her lips.
“Now, since you’re under my supervision.” She said to Thayett, Saidar still aglow around her. “You might as well help me channel this blockage away.”

~ Ellisha Falwein

• 1 month later...

"You don't think anyone who's walked herself into a bloody shawl has channelled whilst not under supervision? I know girl."

Thayetta looked woefully up at the Accepted, fresh tears brimming in her eyes despite the almost earnest look on Ellisha's face. She couldn't help it. No matter what the Accepted said, Aureli's voice, and the words of the morning's lesson whirled around in Thayett's head and sank heavily to her heart, again and again and again. "Every single one of these names represents an initiate of the White Tower who burned themselves out, never able to touch Saidar again, the ability forever taken away by their own foolishness..."

Never able to touch Saidar again.

Never. Able. To. Touch. Saidar. Again.

The tears overflowed and ran down her sooty cheeks. Thayetta hadn't meant to channel and risk burning herself out. It was just that the book 'Drawing on the Power: Warming to the Flame' had been so wonderfully descriptive. It was not the first time she'd gotten herself in trouble getting lost in a book, but it was the first time she'd been horrified by doing it. Images of the book flaming in her hands crackled in her mind. Again and again she saw the cover curling at the edges, sparks shooting into the chimney as she'd dropped it to the ground. Her hands throbbed terribly where the flames had licked her, the sting and pulse a perfect accompaniment to her guilt. 

"You foolish girl, you stupid girl! You’ve endangered the lives of everyone here. Not only do you put yourself at risk of being burned out, you could have killed everyone in this room!” Thayett winced at the truth of the Accepted's words, lifting a hand as the woman seethed, “Apologize.” 

"I'm sorry Accepted! I'm sorry, I'm so sorry!" The words were vehement, full of apologetic truth for the horror of what may have happened. And yet, in the back of her mind - in the core of her being - Thayetta suddenly realised that she could still feel the memory of the strong, peaceful beauty that had been Saidar coursing through her veins. It soothed her and filled her and calmed her and strengthened her, lifted her even - the way watching candle flames flicker in the darkness always had, but a thousand times more. And that was just the memory of how it felt. Somehow she knew she was not - could not ever- be apologising about that. The tears dried quickly on her face.

The Accepted spoke again, "Now, since you're under my supervision, you might as well help me channel this blockage away."

Thayett looked up timidly. Her heart leapt. She opened her fists and let the sting of air on her burns remind her - sharply - of both the great strength and great danger of the Power she'd held. Deliberately, she focused on the searing sensation until tears once again smarted at her eyes. I will not forget again she vowed silently to herself. Outwardly she murmured, "Yes, of course Accepted."

At the Accepted's bidding, Thayetta imagined her little fire flower, burning and blazing within, and she drew it forth until it enveloped her completely, the strength and warmth and glow of it shining all around her. Through the soot and tears and sting of her hands, she smiled. Then she faltered.

"I, uh... Accepted? How... What is it you want me to do?" eager and yet hesitant, Thayetta realised she really had learned nothing beyond embracing and disconnecting from the Source. She watched Ellisha carefully, her blue eyes wide and shining, waiting keenly to learn whatever lesson was about to come her way...

~Thayetta Luin

Novice of the White Tower

It had been some time since Ellisha had to teach anyone in a lesson, not least a Novice on the use of Saidar. Thayetta embraced the source, the vibrant glow of the One Power surrounding her in a yellowish tinge of light. She looked up, large blue eyes wide in anticipation, as if beckoning her to continue. Ellisha smiled; then, still embracing the source, began weaving together two strands – one of air, one earth – that snaked around one another in a double helix.
    “Watch carefully,” she said, her left hand twirling around in a graceful circular motion as she created the mould that would contain the channelled energy. “The weaves I’m about to show you are a bit more complicated than what would usually be shown a Novice until her fifth year.”
She let out a slow controlled breath, right palm spread and facing up as a small ball of fire appeared at its centre.
    Left hand still holding the double helix, she directed the energy at the base of the chimney. Nothing happened of course at first – they hadn’t got to the fun part yet.
    “Water is often combined with Earth for a variety of different weaves,” she explained as she saw Thayetta take careful note on the structure of the weave. “Combined weaves are complicated and takes years of practise to get right.”
She then gestured to the small ball of fire in her right hand.
    “But watch carefully what happens when you combine a few other simple weaves along with it. Channel fire like I have and hold on to it.” She waited as Thayetta channelled Saidar, with a small ball of fire appearing a second later in between her cupped hands. The girl grinned as she held the flame, as if basking in the heat it provided.
    “Now. Shoot it at the centre of my weave and don’t stop channelling until I tell you to do so.” Thayetta did as she was told, gasping as her single strand of fire seamlessly connected with that of Ellisha’s. Nothing dramatic happened as the complicated weave snaked inside the clogged chimney and disappeared behind its shadows; then, a rumbling, low at first but distinct, began to emit from the device.
    “You see,” Ellisha continued, still holding her own double stranded weave as the clattering intensified. “It is all well and good to use fire until stuff resembles that one time I tried cooking, but the One Power can do… many things, when combined in the correct manner.”   
As if in answer to her words, a large Whoosh of air exploded from within the chimney, as debris and ash clouds rolled at the bottom of the floor, followed by a second larger explosion from deeper inside the stone chamber.  
    Soot and a torrent of other miscellaneous objects flew and rolled along the floor tiles as the rumbling reached its crescendo, then ended as abruptly as it began. Thayetta and a few of the closer Novices coughed as the ash cloud slowly settled in the room.
Walking over towards the chimney, she bent down and looked up at the things interior then nodded as she saw the clog had in fact been removed. Brushing away a few stray ash clouds that had gotten onto her sleeve, she turned and regarded the young Novice standing a few feet away from her.
    “Saidar is both beautiful and dangerous,” she said, her voice turning for once to an icy tone. “And always in equal proportions. You’re only as skilled as far as you understand control.”
    She then walked over to the younger woman and placed a hand on her right shoulder, then in a quieter, softer voice she said. “I meant what I said earlier. Everyone here knows how addictive it can be to embrace the Source, and don’t for a second think you’re the first. We all make mistakes sometimes, the only question is… do you learn from them?”
Pursing her lips, and with her eyes filling up with tears once more, the girl nodded.
    “Good,” she stood, walking back towards the table where her book still lay. “Cause you’ll be cleaning up the mess you’ve created.” She gestured at the soot on the ground – a large circle around the base of the chimney entrance. “With a broom, mind, and No Saidar. I’ll be watching.”

~ Ellisha Falwein
Accepted in the White Tower

Edited by Sherper

The soot was impossible to sweep. It clung to the floor in streaks even as it billowed up around the broom with every stroke. Thayetta sneezed, involuntarily jerking the broom handle and causing yet another puff of soot to dance frustratingly into the air in front of her face. She sneezed again. There was so much of it! The clog in the chimney had been removed alright - probably for the first time in countless years. Removed and deposited mercilessly in a circle around the base of the fireplace. A very large, streaky, messy, sooty circle.

Cleaning the circle of soot at least gave Thayet time to think. Her young hands stung where the handle of the broom rubbed against her burns with every sweeping stroke. Idly, Thayetta wondered if and how Saidar could be used to sooth the burning sting and shield the raw skin from the abrasiveness of the air and other objects if required. A thin 'shield' of Water maybe? Coupled with a protective field of Spirit? She didn't know, and she didn't intend to try, nor did she intend to ask a Yellow, or any other Sister how it could be done, or in fact to heal it. She had made up her mind that the time it took the raw skin on her hands to heal and any scar left in its place would serve as a reminder - forever - of the dangers of getting distracted and lost whilst embracing Saider. Or doing anything really, apparently getting distracted whilst reading about Saidar was dangerous as well. Thayet reasoned it was probably about time she learnt to be more aware of her surroundings anyway, she was a Novice now, a student of the White Tower, not a hopeless child. It was unlikely that any Sedai worth her service forgot everything else when she was reading - even a Brown - and now that she was here, she knew she wanted to make the most of every opportunity. She vowed she would try and be more mature from here on in, focus on things without getting completely distracted. 

She swept dutifully, doing her best to keep the soot-clouds down low. Occasionally she looked up towards the Accepted Ellisha, seated at the table with her books. "I'll be watching," she had said, and Thayetta had no doubt that she was, even if she did not seem the slightest bit interested in what was going on. One day I'll be like her, Thayetta thought, wincing as the broom handle pushed into her burns and forced her once again to focus on her task, and the fact that she needed to remember to concentrate. One day, her thoughts continued to wander, ... if I ever manage to keep my head out of the clouds... One day...

She sighed, and gave the broom a slightly moody shove. As rational as she could be in her head, Thayetta's heart stung a little. She couldn't help but feel foolish and embarrassed by her mistake, and that, coupled with the initial horror and potential danger of the whole situation, weighed heavily on her mind and showed itself clearly in the burning crimson spread across her cheeks. The soot rose up in front of her in retaliation, and despite her best efforts not to, Thayetta sneezed again. More soot rose into the air, and it was all she could do not to throw the broom down in frustration. Sweeping was quickly becoming intolerable, especially after Ellisha's display of how effective the One Power could be at cleaning up. One day! she fumed, and then I won't make so many stupid, dangerous mistakes - and I'll flaming well use Saidar to fix them when I do! Her hands smarted and, ashamed at her mental outburst, she began the task of cleaning up again, eyes down and deliberately avoiding contact with the Accepted, lest she read the Novice thoughts. 

One day... if I ever manage to clean up the mess I helped create!

Edited by Cass

Ellisha hid a smile, using the cover of her book to mask the curvature coming from her lips. Oh, how wonderfully amusing it was to watch Novices suffer through the same ordeal as she had on countless occasions in the past. In truth, Ellisha reckoned she had let this one off lightly. Cleaning the floor would have been easy with the One Power, but the labour of doing it with hand was part of training and conditioning – at least, that was how it had been explained to her.
    Thayetta sneezed, and Ellisha almost lost herself that time – her mask of Aes Sedai serenity on the verge of breaking down into hysterical mirth as she struggled to keep herself from shaking. She really needed to grow up someday – though, preferably not any time soon.
    The clock on the wall sounded two and Ellisha looked up from her book to see the room emptying of their former occupants; some Novice, she observed to her evident disgust, even leaving their plates half washed and submerged in the sink. Bah.
    It was too late to call them back of course, this she knew as well as the next eight Accepteds; the force behind a cohort of retreating Novices was something even Saidar had little power to halt once set in motion. The dust eventually settled, and as the only sound left in the room became the rhythmic Tick, tock, tick, tock of the hanging wall clock, Ellisha allowed herself out a big long yawn, not even bothering to cover up her mouth as she stretched out her arms luxuriously, feeling the bones crack on her back.
    She opened her eyes, realising there was still someone else in the room. Thayetta, the Novice, stood a few paces away, still sweeping the floor of soot with the end of a broomstick. Rats, she had forgotten she hadn’t dismissed the girl from her punishment yet, and… was that a smile playing around those lips?
    Clearing her throat, she closed and pocked her book and walked over towards the Novice.
    “You may leave that for now,” she said, coming up beside Thayetta. “The servants may deal with the remaining mess.” She gave the girl a sidelong stare, careful not to make the look obvious.
Yuuup... she saw me, Curse it Woman. She was supposed to be the one acting all proper and respectable, and being seen doing something as human as yawning was definitely not in the Aes Sedai handbook. Letting a bloody Novice see you, bloody typical – bloody wool-head.
    “I hope you’ve learnt your lesson for today,” she continued, more pointedly than she had at first intended, “run off now, and don’t let me catch you burning any more book, you hear?”
The girl was off in an instant, pushing, and hopping all the way past the great wooden doors and out of the kitchen, faster than she could have otherwise said, “Yes, Accepted.”  
    Certain this time that the room was empty, Ellisha began cleaning up the rest of the dirty plates and dishes. She whistled softly to herself as eating utensil zipped through the air at a high enough velocity to hear a faint whizzing sound each time one of them passed by her head. Within the space of only five minutes, the Kitchen looked spotless.
    You could run a dry-cleaning business if you ever get kicked out of the Tower, Ellisha mused idly to herself as she slipped the lock on the double wooden door for the afternoon.
    If? I think ‘when’ would be a more accurate description.
    Ha. Ha. Very funny, voice in my head. Get out.

~ Ellisha Falwein

Edited by Sherper

• 1 month later...

Light BURN this MESS!  Thayetta raged inside her tired, frustrated, soot-covered mind. Her hands were stinging against the broom handle, and the last of the soot just would not leave the floor. 

Her frustrated silence was interrupted, suddenly, with a long, drawn-out yawn and the popping of vertebrae being shifted out of stationary position. Thayetta froze, and looked up to see Ellisha stretching, luxuriously, on her chair. She looked for all the world like the giant cats of the story books Thayett had loved to read as a child, and the girl had no doubt whatsoever that the Accepted sitting across the room could be every bit as dangerous. She stifled a smile that was equal parts amusement and terror at being caught in her amusement, and continued to sweep.

The Accepted cleared her throat, stood, and made her way over towards Thayetta. Thayetta focused on the ground and doubled her efforts, ignoring the blistering sting in each of her hands.

"You may leave that for now. The servants may deal with the remaining mess." Thayett did her very best not to release an audible sigh.

"I hope you've learnt your lesson for today. Run off now, and don't let me catch you burning any more books, you hear?"

"Yes, Accepted!" Thayetta breathed her acknowledgement and ducked her head in both obedience and thanks. Conscious of how close she was to the Accepted-who-could-be-a-Lion, Thayetta curtsied as best she was able and turned tail to all but run back to her room. The last thing she needed right now was to give anyone another reason to make her do some more work. If they did that she would likely break down and cry. Again. She was tired, and sore, and embarrassed and ashamed and horrified and angry at herself all at once, and it really was just a little bit too much.

She passed some of the other Novices in the hallway, and did her best to ignore their pointed looks and sidelong stares. She walked with as much poise and purpose as she could muster, her hands stinging where the open burns connected with the fresh, hallway air. Finally she turned the corner to her room. Reaching out, she realised the only way she was getting in was by turning the doorknob... with her hands. Forlornly, she wondered for a moment if really she should go see a Yellow about those burns, but then she shoved the thought angrily away. No! They're your fault, and a part of your lesson! Live with it! Resolutely, she squared her chin and reached for the doorknob, the pain as she turned it making her wince and yelp despite her previous determination. The door opened and Thayett slipped herself quickly and gratefully inside. She slumped back against the door as it closed, and closed her eyes along with it. In her minds eye she saw two things. The first was the list of names of burnt-out channelers on the board in class, and the second was 'Drawing on the Power' bursting into flame. Her eyes flew open, brimming again with tears. 

Stupid, Stupid Girl! 

Exhausted she made her way slowly to the washbasin across the room. She filled it with water and immersed her swollen, red and blistered hands. When the sting had subsided slightly she lifted them from the sink and gingerly applied an ointment that her mother had packed for her at home. The memory as much as the sting sent the tears rolling down her cheeks. 

Good Light I am tired! And I am so glad to day is done!

She sniffed to herself and curled up on the bed, facing the wall and deliberately ignoring the books on her desk and all thoughts of channeling Saidar or embracing the source. Sleep was what she needed now. 

Just sleep.